'No Stupid Questions' General -

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there any software that can, in bulk, compress videos down or convert them to H.265 or whatever's the current best compression codec? My Plex server's about to hit the 4TB mark, and the videos my phone records of any significant length are well over a gigabyte each.

• Informative
Reactions: Arm Pit Cream

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there any software that can, in bulk, compress videos down or convert them to H.265 or whatever's the current best compression codec? My Plex server's about to hit the 4TB mark, and the videos my phone records of any significant length are well over a gigabyte each.
You almost certainly want to use FFmpeg for this. But it's not very intuitive to use at the command line.

There are many FFmpeg guis designed to make batch processing like this easy. Here are a few.
https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/23/featured/free-gui-ffmpeg.html
Most of them seem to be abandoned with UX designs done by autistic colorblind spergs writing their first GUI application, but ffmpeg hasn't had that many features added in the past few years, so it shouldn't matter that much.

I recommend FFQueue, it's a cut above the rest. You will need to experiment with creating presets to find your right quality/size balance. If you want to cut down the resolution as well (probably not a bad idea with the default settings on some phones) you might need find the correct command line parameters for your target resolution and add that as custom arguments to FFmpeg. Either way, you are going to lose some quality simply in the process of transcoding, but that's unavoidable.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
I use Handbrake on Windows.

• Winner
Reactions: Pissmaster

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Handbrake has been mentioned but I would suggest XMediaRecode or StaxRip, probably XMediaRecode actually. Handbrake is really, really good but it tends to make assumptions in certain cases and if you don't like that you have to go through every fucking file and fix that setting by hand before adding them to the queue.

XMediaRecode can encode using hardware H.265 encoding on Nvidia/AMD/Intel GPUs(Intel is or at least used to be the best for some reason) while at the same time doing some of the work in software to keep up the quality, it's slower than StaxRip, a primarily hardware H.265 encoder, but it produces files with better quality at the same filesize.

It also has a bunch of really nice features, it tells you how big the file(s) will be in the end and shows if it's bigger than a CD/DVD/BluRay/size of memory card/hard drive or whatever medium you're planning to put it on. It also have a preview function so you can take a look at what a section will look like when re-encoded with your settings.
It's good but the UI is a bit strange, just a bit strange not complete lunacy, it's like Handbrake but a bit more obtuse and it feels like it is designed by a programmer. Like you don't put tabs between the important sections in the MIDDLE of the screen-space the program takes up - that's like having a dick on your chest.

You can queue up as many files as you like or add directories to scan and encode using the same profile.

edit: both XMedia and StaxRip have been developed with hardware H.265 encoding in mind way before the Handbrake developer even said that hardware encoding was bad and would not be supported in a significant way(it had QuickSync support to some degree iirc). So they have a head start and the XMedia people seem to have understood the drawbacks of doing every step in hardware early on, it's meant for streaming games on twitch, so they run some things in software that hardware encoding isn't that good at - edit2: or to support features that the fixed function hardware simply isn't able to do.

Both programs are free of course.

Last edited:

AprilRains

Drowning Pumpkin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What would I use to make a personal backup of 5 or 6 pages in a wiki and everything to which they link (but no more than one link deep)? Bonus points if it's internally consistent and navigable from my hard drive, and if I can add a delay on the script so it doesn't DDOS the site.
wget lets you specify a maximum depth, a wait between fetches, and even a maximum download rate.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Ok I have a unity question.

I want to make a summoning pentagram and summons a boss if you drag 4 specific items into 4 specific locations. I can't seem to find an answer to how you do this through scripting. I need it to not work if you put the items in the wrong spot as well.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Ok I have a unity question.

I want to make a summoning pentagram and summons a boss if you drag 4 specific items into 4 specific locations. I can't seem to find an answer to how you do this through scripting. I need it to not work if you put the items in the wrong spot as well.
Can't you make each spot an invisible container/collision block that checks the object name/id it is currently intersecting with that changes a value in a custom field from false to true if it is correct(don't forget to reset it if the object is removed)? Then another object that checks up on container 1-4.

Boris Blank's glass eye

Ring the bell, Roll down the street
kiwifarms.net
How are wage earners supposed to pay rent when they are forbidden from leaving their houses? With dwindling resources, the choice between sending cash to a landlord/bank or feeding one's family is not even a choice. So what is the government going to do since they are the ones forbidding work?
Bail the landlords and banks out, duh.
We're at least allowed reasonable movement in my neck of the woods. Go to work, buy groceries, visit elderly relatives with some of those groceries, etc. Not sure how long, though.

Drive-by punster

Dune-kun
kiwifarms.net
Bail the landlords and banks out, duh.
We're at least allowed reasonable movement in my neck of the woods. Go to work, buy groceries, visit elderly relatives with some of those groceries, etc. Not sure how long, though.
We're technically housebound here, but a few small businesses are still making moves. Quietly.

What are those big orange balls that I sometimes see on powerlines?

Spedestrian

Demonically Possessed Ray-Ba᠎ns
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
how does one become a true and honest nigga?
Donate money to the farms/null. I don't know how to go about doing that, and the answers from the forum have been pretty much telling OP to suck their own dick to get it.
There are several ways to donate directly to the site, see this thread for details: https://kiwifarms.net/threads/supporting-the-forum.27022/post-1974367

You can also donate $20+ to Josh's weekly podcast at https://madattheinternet.com and then send him a PM with your order number. This is probably the easiest method since you can just use a credit card, but naturally if the payment platform gets compromised there's a chance that your donation could be traced back to you. If you're worried about that then use cryptoshekels or buy gift cards with cash.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How are wage earners supposed to pay rent when they are forbidden from leaving their houses? With dwindling resources, the choice between sending cash to a landlord/bank or feeding one's family is not even a choice. So what is the government going to do since they are the ones forbidding work?
Rent could be dealt with by government taking care of payments for that.

Mortgages could be resolved by declaring a holiday on usury. A very simple answer to a very simple question.

Tags
None