'No Stupid Questions' General -

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
Do magnets damage any computer component or just the hard drive? I ask this because using a magnetized Phillip's head screw driver to remove components would be so much easier but I am scared it would fry things like my graphics card.
No, and even hard drives have enough EM shielding that a magnetic screwdriver tip shouldn't cause any issues from being in proximity

Technically a strong enough magnet could maybe bend caps or something, but that's less to do with magnetism and more to do with just... physical damage.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
No, and even hard drives have enough EM shielding that a magnetic screwdriver tip shouldn't cause any issues from being in proximity

Technically a strong enough magnet could maybe bend caps or something, but that's less to do with magnetism and more to do with just... physical damage.
Good to know. Those tiny screws are a bitch and a half to keep track of already without having to worry about them slipping away and rolling somewhere in the tower case

• Agree
Reactions: Magnum Tenebrosum

murgatroid

kiwifarms.net
Do magnets damage any computer component or just the hard drive? I ask this because using a magnetized Phillip's head screw driver to remove components would be so much easier but I am scared it would fry things like my graphics card.
Those are too weak to cause damage. Magnetized screwdrivers and bits are very commonly and usually encouraged for PC assembly and disassembly.

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
The "Don't put magnets near computers" mantra is one that came from the Good Old Days™ of CRT Displays and Magnetic Disk media storage. It's way less of a problem than it was a long time ago.

Things that are okay around normal magnets:
-Anything you'd find in a modern computer.

Things that are not okay around high powered magnets (electromagnets, neodimyum, et al):
-Anything in any computer.

Things that are not okay around normal magnets:
-CRT monitors
-Cassette Storage Tapes (Including 8-Track, VHS, Music Tapes, LTO cassettes, et al)
-Floppy disks (All standard sizes)
-Oldschool Hard Disks

WhoBusTank69

kiwifarms.net
I built my parents a glorified Facebook machine that, about a year later, now takes about 10 minutes to restart and runs like a paraplegic despite almost nothing being installed with less than 25% of the HDD being used. Clearing temp files and running malware scans doesn't improve its sluggish behavior; is there anything I've been too exceptional to check?

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
I built my parents a glorified Facebook machine that, about a year later, now takes about 10 minutes to restart and runs like a paraplegic despite almost nothing being installed with less than 25% of the HDD being used. Clearing temp files and running malware scans doesn't improve its sluggish behavior; is there anything I've been too exceptional to check?
Check startup items (msconfig on Win7, part of the task manager on Win10)
Check startup services (msconfig, services, hide all windows services, untick anything you recognize that you know is worthless. anything you don't recognize, google or ask here)
Check task scheduler (this is more for looking for any potential malware payloads that avoided heuristics)
Check idle temps, if it's super dusty inside it's possible the CPU is throttling to avoid overheating and just needs a can of air
Test performance from a liveCD
Reinstall Windows

Check resmon for:
High number of hard faults/sec under the memory tab - If there are a lot, you are having a memory starvation problem.
Reported amount of disk I/O - If it's pegged in the megabytes/second then something's hammering your HDD and causing an I/O bottleneck, if that's the case you can expand the disk tab, sort by total IO, and find out what process/file call is causing it.
CPU Usage - Self explanatory

You can also use something like ProcMon to get a general idea of what all is happening on a PC. It's a little overwhelming at first, but ignoring the actual operations and just seeing what holds the highest amount of activity helps narrow it down.

What, if any, advantages do hybrid SSHDDs have over regular HDDs?
You get the speeds of an SSD for the partition on it that's on the NAND. Otherwise, nothing.

The "Don't put magnets near computers" mantra is one that came from the Good Old Days™ of CRT Displays and Magnetic Disk media storage. It's way less of a problem than it was a long time ago.

Things that are okay around normal magnets:
-Anything you'd find in a modern computer.

Things that are not okay around high powered magnets (electromagnets, neodimyum, et al):
-Anything in any computer.

Things that are not okay around normal magnets:
-CRT monitors
-Cassette Storage Tapes (Including 8-Track, VHS, Music Tapes, LTO cassettes, et al)
-Floppy disks (All standard sizes)
-Oldschool Hard Disks
Not to mention most laptops nowadays have a magnet sitting right next to the hard drive that it uses for an electromagnetic lid sensor

NOMYBITCASH

Becoming Brown - Scotland Edition
kiwifarms.net
Hi exceptional individual here

how do i install AMD proprietary drives on linux mint 19.2 since i have a 144hz monitor but can't change the refresh rate

would it be easier just using ubuntu?

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
Hi exceptional individual here

how do i install AMD proprietary drives on linux mint 19.2 since i have a 144hz monitor but can't change the refresh rate

would it be easier just using ubuntu?
Download the .tar.xz from their website (the ubuntu package)
Extract it
Open a terminal, navigate to the folder
once in the extracted folder with the bajillion .deb files, run:
sudo chmod 755 amdgpu-pro-install
sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y

I haven't fucked with Linux for gaming, but I think you may need to edit your Xorg config (though the AMD install script may do that for you)

Xochi

Andy Ngo's #1 fan
kiwifarms.net
thankyou for making this, the IT board. i very much enjoy computing,especially th Microsoft family of products . i work as fulltime tech official making fix for microsoft Office on your computer.
i have fully durgasoft training.mr Babu teached me the ways

thankyou again,
Sandeep

werbwub

kiwifarms.net
my current specs are a ryzen 3 2200g and a gtx 1050 ti. Should I upgrade to a ryzen 5 or a gtx 1060 6gb ?
I mostly play video games and do school work but I occasionally encode videos(CPU heavy) or upscale images/video using ERSGAN/waifu2x(GPU heavy)

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Magnum Tenebrosum
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino