'No Stupid Questions' General -

Boris Blank's glass eye

Ring the bell, Roll down the street
kiwifarms.net
Are GSM packets going to become obsolete with 5g? And is 5g going to be as big as some are making it out to be? I remember cisco valuing IoT at like $19 trillion and that didn't happen.
GSM still has its uses, even if it's obsolescent. The second question you answered yourself: interested parties and companies want 5G to be the biggest thing ever until the next biggest thing ever comes along.
My disk usage is at 100 per cent. How do I fix this?
Depends on what's using 100% of your drive. It might be some kind of malware, in that case it's extermination time, or it might even be the drive failing. You should find the process first with Resource Monitor or Process Explorer if you're using Windows.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
How did enterprise IT departments deal with installing an operating system that's spread across 30 3 1/2 inch floppy disks?

• Horrifying
Reactions: SIGSEGV

baku

kiwifarms.net
My disk usage is at 100 per cent. How do I fix this?
There are a lot of things that can cause that. Assuming you have already checked that it's not just a rogue application causing the issue, the first thing I'd try is disk check. If you're using Windows 10, open up command prompt as an administrator and run this command:
Code:
chkdsk.exe C: /f /r
It will check for logical errors on your hard drive and fix any problem it detects.

Turd Cow

Mommy bought me a THOT for my birthday
kiwifarms.net
So, I want to switch from windows 10 to Linux. I want to transfer my files from that OS to the new one. I know i can use cloud based storage but i don't want to use google drivw since i've actually downloaded a large folder off of there and some of the stuff was missing.
Or, I can use external hard drive but i know i would have to partision it for the OS and it would delete the data.

How would I transfer the data from windows to linux without harm

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, I want to switch from windows 10 to Linux. I want to transfer my files from that OS to the new one. I know i can use cloud based storage but i don't want to use google drivw since i've actually downloaded a large folder off of there and some of the stuff was missing.
Or, I can use external hard drive but i know i would have to partision it for the OS and it would delete the data.

How would I transfer the data from windows to linux without harm
You don't need to partition an external hard drive for the OS.

Copy everything you want to keep onto an external hard drive, unplug the external hard drive so you don't accidentally install Linux there, stick your LiveUSB in your PC and reboot. Run the installer, go through all the steps and reboot when it tells you to and take out your LiveUSB. When you boot into Linux plug your external hard drive in and copy everything to your /home folder.

• Informative
Reactions: Turd Cow

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
I'm looking to jump ship on Firefox to Pale Moon, is this a good idea?
https://b3rap.neocities.org/browsers.html and https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/palemoon.html seem informational but then give somewhat conflicting reviews for the same browsers. Spyware.neocities even trashes Brave and that one's quite popular, enough to for Null to recommend it here.
I don't trust my browser to do all the work in protecting my privacy but it's like none of the options are ever great. I just don't want to use a Chromium based browser and then I learnt Firefox and Mozilla is becoming pretty shit too so I guess I'm looking for one that 1) won't turn evil MegaCorp in the future, 2) isn't like Waterfox which was ran by one guy before he sold it to the same ad company who bought out Startpage.com, and 3) isn't a bloated piece of crap.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it's more likely that Windows' scheduled defrag started, TBH.
Not sure that defrags should still be happening, with SSDs. One never knows though.

I would recommend @werbwub use resmon.exe to see if he can see what process specifically is causing this disk activity. If nothing jumps out, and this is recurring, it might be worth enabling some long term monitoring on Disk Queue Lengths for the affected drives via perfmon.exe, to see if anything is suggestive in terms of timing.

Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Martys_not_smarty

You don't know what hard times are daddy.
kiwifarms.net
Adobe Director .dir files any way to get them to actually work nowadays? You used to be able with the older versions of internet explorer but all they do now is just go into an eternal loop of asking to save the file and when you run it does the same thing it asks to save.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Adobe Director .dir files any way to get them to actually work nowadays? You used to be able with the older versions of internet explorer but all they do now is just go into an eternal loop of asking to save the file and when you run it does the same thing it asks to save.
As I recall, some of those could be opened if you had the (relatively uncommon) Macromedia/Adobe Shockwave plugin, as opposed to the near ubiquitous Macromedia/Adobe Shockwave Flash plugin.

At this point? Probably easiest to spin up a Windows XP VM and install a pirated copy of Director from a torrent.

D_Tractor

kiwifarms.net
How did enterprise IT departments deal with installing an operating system that's spread across 30 3 1/2 inch floppy disks?
Network install - they loaded the OS files from the floppies to a server then installed the OS to the clients over the network.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Network install - they loaded the OS files from the floppies to a server then installed the OS to the clients over the network.
It wasn't just floppy, the first WinNT and forwards was available on CD along with related materials. So load that caddy and insert it into that external SCSI drive.

Pre-release WinNT SDK labeled December 1991.
winntdev.jpg

I don't know anything about network installations at that time, thankfully, networks weren't fun.

With Win95 the OS coming on CD was standard in my mind(remember the Plus disc?) though floppy was an alternative(wasn't WinME the last one available on floppy?). Win95 is not an enterprise solution and a whole network running Win95 was most likely found on scrubby middle schools.

• Informative
Reactions: Chester Rigby

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
With Win95 the OS coming on CD was standard in my mind(remember the Plus disc?) though floppy was an alternative(wasn't WinME the last one available on floppy?). Win95 is not an enterprise solution and a whole network running Win95 was most likely found on scrubby middle schools.
The operating system that I've installed (Dell UNIX SVR4 I2.2) that came across 30 floppy disks also was installable from 1 DDS-1 cassette that had a 0.183 MB trasnsfer rate.

View attachment sm1992DellSVR42.2QIC.jpg.webp

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
This may have already been covered but what is the best way to download a video from Youtube on Mac without having to pay for anything or install some bullshit app from Russia? Need to download 2 vids, (I only need the audio, but I can do that myself once I get the files)...

Tags
None