'No Stupid Questions' General -

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Where should I run it? I tried the extra thing in the yt dl exe it didn't do anything
and opening the ffmpeg.exe thing in the youtube dl file doesn't actually open a command line or anything
You need to open a command line and navigate to the directory with the videos(and ffmpeg if you don't have it registered as an environment variable). Or you can lazily copy-paste it into the directory you're going to be working in.
If you can, you should add ffmpeg to windows path
download ffmpeg from here
I usually just use the C drive for this but you can place it wherever you want
then you make a folder like C:\ffmpeg and put the downloaded windows binaries there
  1. Open the Start Search, type in “env”, and choose “Edit the system environment variables”
  2. Click the “Environment Variables…” button. (at the bottom right)
  3. Under the “UserVariables” section (the top half), find the row with “Path” in the first column, and double click it.
  4. in the right menu you now click new, that will allow you to write a new item into path
  5. write C:\ffmpeg and click "OK"
  6. close all the system windows and cmd windows you now might have open
  7. open a new cmd window and test its working by writing ffmpeg
Now once ffmpeg is in path, you go to the folder where you downloaded the youtube video and run the command again
Alternatively you can dump ffmpeg into the same folder as the videos. For the less tech savvy I would still recommend Avidemux, it's free, small download, no install necessary. If you need to flip a hundred videos around then a script that crawls through a directory + ffmpeg is obviously the better solution. Remember that if the videos needs to be flipped or rotated in different directions you should sort them into different folders and modify the script accordingly.

Cantercoin

the early October profilepic is here
kiwifarms.net
Ok here's a weird question: I got the laptop version of the 1650 TI and an AMD Ryzen 7 and I was wondering is it possible to take the both of them out of a laptop and put them in a desktop case or because the 1650 was made for laptop it's incompatible with anything else?

Boris Blank's glass eye

And just for you I have a spoon
kiwifarms.net
Ok here's a weird question: I got the laptop version of the 1650 TI and an AMD Ryzen 7 and I was wondering is it possible to take the both of them out of a laptop and put them in a desktop case or because the 1650 was made for laptop it's incompatible with anything else?
Short answer: no.
Long answer: laptop and desktop CPUs have different sockets, FP6 for the former and AM4 for the latter. As for the graphics, laptop GPUs are completely soldered on the MoBo.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Long answer: laptop and desktop CPUs have different sockets, FP6 for the former and AM4 for the latter. As for the graphics, laptop GPUs are completely soldered on the MoBo.
Um TECHNICALLY some laptop GPUs are in MXM (mobile PCI express) modules, which I assume can be used with a PCI express->MXM bridge. You'd just have to spend a hundred bucks or so on the bridge card and hope it worked and it still wouldn't be nearly as good as the desktop 'equivalent'.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Um TECHNICALLY some laptop GPUs are in MXM (mobile PCI express) modules, which I assume can be used with a PCI express->MXM bridge. You'd just have to spend a hundred bucks or so on the bridge card and hope it worked and it still wouldn't be nearly as good as the desktop 'equivalent'.
Plus the cooling solution can't exactly be ripped out so something would have to be hacked together to run it on a pc. I also have the feeling that MXM cards won't be found in thin consumer laptops for space saving reasons.

Here's an idea, put the whole laptop in a PC case and hook it up to an external monitor, m/kb and speakers, throw the IO shield away and snake the cables through that hole. It will work exactly as if you managed to get it all out and mount it inside a case, you can even save $100 by skipping the PC case when connecting it to external devices.

Cantercoin

the early October profilepic is here
kiwifarms.net
Figured as much but might as well ask: is it still not a good time to buy the parts to build a PC? Last I checked we're still short on processors and that makes them hard/expensive to get.

Leslie Nielsen

Nice Beaver!
kiwifarms.net
Is there any way I can download a large youtube playlist? All the options I see won't download playlists with over 20 videos.

Dell Conagher

I solve practical problems.
kiwifarms.net
Is there any way I can download a large youtube playlist? All the options I see won't download playlists with over 20 videos.
using yt-dlp
yt-dlp -f 'bv+ba/b' --download-archive videos.txt YTPLAYLIST URL -o '%(channel_id)s/%(playlist_id)s/%(id)s.%(ext)s'
I used this to download all of critical role 400+ eps

Boris Blank's glass eye

And just for you I have a spoon
kiwifarms.net
Figured as much but might as well ask: is it still not a good time to buy the parts to build a PC? Last I checked we're still short on processors and that makes them hard/expensive to get.
Current gen CPUs are still expensive and so are new GPUs. You could get a used GPU cheap, but most of them are crypto farm burnouts.
Try again in a year, maybe - see if the shortage gets resolved by then. Alternatively you could settle for older gen parts, a 3rd gen Ryzen 7 for example. GPU's still going to be fucking expensive. Stock 1650 models go for $500-ish where I live and 1660 models are more like $800.

Any certifications for programming languages you guys would recommend if I want to go into cybersecurity one day? I'm not a fan of the Spoony method of getting a cybersecurity degree that becomes outdated extremely quickly, and I'm trying to learn the basics of Linux before I screw around with dual-boot of something like Kali. C++ interests me for obvious reasons.

Dell Conagher

I solve practical problems.
kiwifarms.net
Any certifications for programming languages you guys would recommend if I want to go into cybersecurity one day? I'm not a fan of the Spoony method of getting a cybersecurity degree that becomes outdated extremely quickly, and I'm trying to learn the basics of Linux before I screw around with dual-boot of something like Kali. C++ interests me for obvious reasons.
get the c++ certification, dont use kali its a meme os. and get a networking cert like ccna

UnsufficentBoobage

Atleast things I wanna fuck are 3D
kiwifarms.net
What could be the cause of panel freezing for like 5 minutes after booting up WinXP?
It does not happen if it does its "ruminate on greet screen for a while if computer was not on for weeks" act.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
What could be the cause of panel freezing for like 5 minutes after booting up WinXP?
It does not happen if it does its "ruminate on greet screen for a while if computer was not on for weeks" act.
Could be disk thrashing if the hard drive is mechanical. A HDD has a read head just like a CD or LP player, if it has to jump around to read/write data(starting programs/services) all over the place it will spend way, way more time moving the heads around than reading/writing.

To use a professional medical analogy:
simpsons-germs.gif
Nothing gets done because too much is trying to get done at once. When a buddy of mine wanted to show me something he started his computer, put on coffee, when the coffee was done the office PC was ready to be used. Then two months ago I got him to buy a cheap SSD and his world changed. At this point it is the single greatest upgrade for anyone that doesn't have one already.

There's also the possibility that the disk is going bad, it might be a good idea to download CrystalDiskInfo and see if it throws up any warnings.
Choose the small download, the large ones are full of anime for reasons unknown.

FaramirG

kiwifarms.net
Could be disk thrashing if the hard drive is mechanical. A HDD has a read head just like a CD or LP player, if it has to jump around to read/write data(starting programs/services) all over the place it will spend way, way more time moving the heads around than reading/writing.

To use a professional medical analogy:
View attachment 2546778
Nothing gets done because too much is trying to get done at once.

There's also the possibility that the disk is going bad, it might be a good idea to download CrystalDiskInfo and see if it throws up any warnings.
Choose the small download, the large ones are full of anime for reasons unknown.
So what you're saying is that the hard drive is indestructible?