TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

Cool kitties club

(Un)official pet e-cat
kiwifarms.net
If you check out her recent 20 tweet long musing of "Imposter Syndrome" I really think she just wants attention. God, does she fucking waffle on about nothing. She should've married Peter Coffin.

Been thinking on this for a while. John is my bud, but I wanted to add this as people may take the wrong message from it. Imposter syndrome isn't a question of action (obviously if you write words you're a "writer" in the most literal sense), but of quality and legitimacy. THREAD
Defining “imposter syndrome” as “the fear that you will be exposed as a fraud” is one aspect of the condition, but a bit reductive as it tends to focus on the “fraud” part rather than a general feeling of inadequacy with regard to peers.
Scalzi’s personal example, as he notes, has much to do with class and privilege, but it has just as much to do with how you were raised, and as an adult it’s difficult to rewire those thought patterns, and it's hard to speak to that if you've never experienced imposter syndrome.
If you were raised with hyper-critical parents, especially wrt your academic/creative work, that will follow you into adulthood. Even if you weren’t, if you are surrounded by people who are critical of you, you’re going to grow up assuming this is the default.
There is a gender component to this as well - as women we’re pretty much inundated from birth with skepticism that we are ever as good at anything as our male counterparts. Same with race (weird, how often Black writers are described as "articulate").
At USC (where when I was there the grad student body was about 20% women) we always joked/not-joked that we had to work twice as hard to be seen as half as good. And even knowing there is an unjust double standard in place, it's hard not to internalize some of that.
Obviously imposter syndrome is not unique to women, but on some level, if you experience it enough that it actually effects your work, it is baked into your personality, so implying it's something that one can or should overcome can compound that damage.
So Scalzi talking about why he thinks he’s never suffered from Imposter Syndrome is a separate issue from people overcoming their own. I’m sure he gets the question "how do I overcome imposter syndrome?" a lot - but here is the thing; if he's never had it, he doesn’t know.
Speaking as someone who has never not operated under some form of imposter syndrome or other, I can't say that I have any answers either, but I do know that invalidating feelings of inadequacy makes those feelings worse. "I SHOULD not feel this way - WHY can't I get over this?"
A lot of times people don't realize "you are good at thing, actually" can feel dismissive. Dismissing negative thoughts isn’t helpful for the people who have them - it is a form of invalidating emotions, and the root of these negative thoughts isn’t logic, but self-image.
I don’t know what it is to be satisfied or feel secure in what I do. Every time I hit a milestone, I don't feel secure in it--I’ve already moved the goal post before I even realize I’ve succeeded at [Thing]. But the goal post has been moved, therefore the thing is not a success.
That said I find the attitude that “if you write you’re a writer” pretty disingenuous because even though it’s a nice sentiment, no one believes it. I think people having these feel-good attitudes pushed on them is just another form of invalidating hypercritical negative emotions
So rather than asking “how can I get over this” or implying that you should get over it, or that these feelings are not valid, on some level we should accept that for some people imposter syndrome will just be something you always live with, but learn to harness and cope with.
Speaking personally, my struggle is to reroute catastrophizing thought spirals (“I only achieved [thing] because soandso saw how many YT subs I have, not because of merit”) into something more productive (“how can I improve [thing] with the tools I have?”)
Because the thought patterns that lead to imposter syndrome need not always be a net negative - on some level, it is a form of perfectionism, but perfectionism can be harnessed as energy to create better, more thoughtful work. Perfectionism in moderation need not be destructive.
"Your negative feelings are valid" may not be the thing you want to hear from a public figure - what you want are solutions, but we don't have them. That's an internal process, and something you need to figure out for yourself.

I struggle with the term "perfectionism" because it implies that anything I've ever done is anywhere remotely close to perfect and it feels like a humblebrag, when in reality it's my #1 source of procrastination because it's setting an unachievable standard
TLDR: DAE feel like they aren’t as good as they think they are? DAE lack self confidence?
I find it funny though how she tries to blame low self esteem on racism and sexism

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
Ehh, I'm not gonna judge her too harshly on this. Would anyone here say no to free money? And also - would anyone here want their likeness used in a big movie without permission?
Except she said multiple times she wish she never did the skit after it became a thing and wanted to purged from human history forever. It's kinda funny.

AlmightyMagichan

kiwifarms.net
If she does try to take legal action, I don't think she will be very successful. It is illegal to use someone's image for exploitative purposes, but this is a murky situation. That gif is floating around numerous places on the web, so it would be easy for the company behind the movie to claim that they had no idea who she was or where it originated from. I very much doubt Lindsay has any kind of formal copyright to her old videos. If anything CA might have more of a legal claim to the Nostalgia Chick videos, so they would also have to factor into the equation.

At the most I could see the courts making the studio remove all footage of the gif if Lindsay complains enough. However I highly doubt they would give her any kind of compensation.

EDIT: I didn't even mention that court and lawyer fees are not exactly cheap. I don't know how much her, ahem, "partner" brings in, but they might think twice once they see how much it would cost.

Last edited:

MediocreMilt

Ooh good comeback... Moron
kiwifarms.net
TL;DR Imposter Syndrome
Imposter syndrome is one of two things: normal self-doubt that you need to work through, which is somewhat narcissistic, in all honesty ("oh no, what if everybody doesn't think I'm good enough" when the reality is that everybody just wants to go home after eight hours of bullshit)

or actually not being good enough for your job. ironically, though there are many capable women and minorities in non-traditional positions for those groups, I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the notion of "Imposter Syndrome" is being talked about during and after the Great Diversity Shove.

If she does try to take legal action, I don't think she will be very successful. It is illegal to use someone's image for exploitative purposes, but this is a murky situation. That gif is floating around numerous places on the web, so it would be easy for the company behind the movie to claim that they had no idea who she was or where it originated from. I very much doubt Lindsay has any kind of formal copyright to her old videos. If anything CA might have more of a legal claim to the Nostalgia Chick videos, so they would also have to factor into the equation.
Lindsay will sue so that Doug Walker and his paymasters can recoup losses :story:

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
If you check out her recent 20 tweet long musing of "Imposter Syndrome" I really think she just wants attention. God, does she fucking waffle on about nothing.
She tweeted:

I don’t know what it is to be satisfied or feel secure in what I do. Every time I hit a milestone, I don't feel secure in it--I’ve already moved the goal post before I even realize I’ve succeeded at [Thing]. But the goal post has been moved, therefore the thing is not a success.
Of course you should move the goal poast once you've achieved a goal, duh, you should always strive to do better. That's normal, but she wants to be such a self-satisfied fuck like her friend Nyk/ContraPoints, she thinks it's self-defeating or something to drive yourself to do better.

I find it funny though how she tries to blame low self esteem on racism and sexism
She tweeted:

At USC (where when I was there the grad student body was about 20% women) we always joked/not-joked that we had to work twice as hard to be seen as half as good. And even knowing there is an unjust double standard in place, it's hard not to internalize some of that.
That's because academia has become more competitive as it became more commercial and more crowded. It doesn't just have to do with sexism or racism, it has to do with the fact that more people than ever want to study (which is a good thing), so there is increased competition and you have to run harder and harder just to stay in place. Does she really think that white male students don't experience this as well? Fuck, go into some all-male STEM department and see how competitive it is.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
Oh now shes decided that she can exploit this for new followers. Her blatant stripped bare egoism knows no bounds.

"I don't want to go near CA because Doug was a meanie white man, but me, I will protect the pedophiles in my midst. As long as I'm boss. #ULTRAWOKE"

Since I believe Lindsay is completely self serving, I think it's probably safe to say that attacking Nyberg would result in some sort of blacklash by proxy from other pedos placed in the industry, since they are known to cover for each other.

Last edited:

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Jeez. What a miserable person she is.

The "hotdogs in the face girl" is a meme. Pretty sure she wouldn't have a case here if she sought one out.

Plus, damn girl, the way she addressed her fans. "You're all flooding my DMs telling me this like I don't fucking know." Ok? Some fans who saw the movie and the trailers wanted to bring it to your attention; they're not harassing you, for god's sake. What a bitch, lol.

She is such a thankless wretch.

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Jeez. What a miserable person she is.

The "hotdogs in the face girl" is a meme. Pretty sure she wouldn't have a case here if she sought one out.

Plus, damn girl, the way she addressed her fans. "You're all flooding my DMs telling me this like I don't fucking know." Ok? Some fans who saw the movie and the trailers wanted to bring it to your attention; they're not harassing you, for god's sake. What a bitch, lol.

She is such a thankless wretch.
Her SpaceX husband must not be fucking her good enough or as often as she needs.

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net
It’s a meme, I don’t think Lindsay has any rights here.
Actually she does. And God help me for defending this twit. This is a major Hollywood Production. A theatrical released movie. From a known studio. Not some Indy tier shit. They not only have an obligation to check and validate every frame of film, and make sure any individually identifiable parties have signed off on their images, they have whole teams and departments dedicated to it. Yeah it’s the “Hot Dogs in Face Girl” meme. But it isn’t some unidentified nobody. Everybody knows who that is in that gif. And it’s part of her professional work product (odd and sad as that sounds). I mean heck any Google search on Hot Dogs in Face Girl brings up among other things this very thread. With the linking to her name and working names right up there at the top. Further no matter how sad and Z list, she is an individual working in the industry and has some manner of representation. She has a legit beef. Not a gazillion dollar one. But she has a right to be appropriately offended. The Studio and film producers had an absolute responsibility to contact her before using her image in their movie. And no fair use likely doesn’t apply in this case. Particularly shocking is not only did the meme use make it into the movie itself, but made it into 2 rounds of marketing, which is supposed to have its own reviews to prevent this sort of thing.

While I’m not a fan of Lindsey I do find the thought of her kicking the shit out of some wannabe Paul Feig shitty RomCom producers to be oddly hilarious. Well worth the price of admission.

Ten2Nine

kiwifarms.net
Actually she does. And God help me for defending this twit. This is a major Hollywood Production. A theatrical released movie. From a known studio. Not some Indy tier shit. They not only have an obligation to check and validate every frame of film, and make sure any individually identifiable parties have signed off on their images, they have whole teams and departments dedicated to it. Yeah it’s the “Hot Dogs in Face Girl” meme. But it isn’t some unidentified nobody. Everybody knows who that is in that gif. And it’s part of her professional work product (odd and sad as that sounds). I mean heck any Google search on Hot Dogs in Face Girl brings up among other things this very thread. With the linking to her name and working names right up there at the top. Further no matter how sad and Z list, she is an individual working in the industry and has some manner of representation. She has a legit beef. Not a gazillion dollar one. But she has a right to be appropriately offended. The Studio and film producers had an absolute responsibility to contact her before using her image in their movie. And no fair use likely doesn’t apply in this case. Particularly shocking is not only did the meme use make it into the movie itself, but made it into 2 rounds of marketing, which is supposed to have its own reviews to prevent this sort of thing.

While I’m not a fan of Lindsey I do find the thought of her kicking the shit out of some wannabe Paul Feig shitty RomCom producers to be oddly hilarious. Well worth the price of admission.
When I saw the movie, I thought maybe Lindsay had approved it and that it could work in her favor. People would see that in the movie, maybe look up "hot dogs in the face girl" afterwards and find her name. They find her Twitter with a pinned tweet:

"(Hot dogs in the face girl GIF) Really cool to have a cameo in the Rebel Wilson comedy, "Isn't It Romantic". Loved it's positive message about body image. Poking fun at romantic comedies has been a pastime of mine, too ;) ( Link to Lindsay's You've Got Mail review )"

But, no. I mean, that's sort of what she's doing now but only because her lawsuit talk likely didn't garner the support she wanted. I agree that it is strange a major motion picture wouldn't look into who that GIF was of but sometimes lax decisions make it though...remember The Hangover Part II's 1st and 2nd lawsuit? Anyways, regardless of how much or little of a case Lindsay has, there's no way she'd be kicking the shit out of anyone if she pursued it. At best she could get them to remove it from the movie which is a "who cares" victory. It's a silly little GIF from something she herself publicly put out, it isn't damaging to her reputation and is widely available on the internet & has been for years. You know what would be damaging to her reputation? She works in an industry where you need connections and nothing make people want to work with you more than threatening legal action over something relatively benign.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
"I really think she just wants attention. "
Honestly I dont doubt it. I think even she knows.

And its one of those things where she's gonna act all smug and mighty and be like NO YOURE WRONG MR SPACE X IS VERY ATTENTIVE and start posting like 50 shades excerpts. The lady is like the epitome of daddy issues foe whatever reason.

"No fuck you I get fucked by some other guy every other day!" Hey that's not my business lady.
Oh now shes decided that she can exploit this for new followers. Her blatant stripped bare egoism knows no bounds.

View attachment 687212

"I don't want to go near CA because Doug was a meanie white man, but me, I will protect the pedophiles in my midst. As long as I'm boss. #ULTRAWOKE"

Since I believe Lindsay is completely self serving, I think it's probably safe to say that attacking Nyberg would result in some sort of blacklash by proxy from other pedos placed in the industry, since they are known to cover for each other.
lol could you be more pretentious? Youre seriously calling some period of your life "the dark times"? I know youre like a drama student or whatever but fuck dude.

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
Wired calls Lindsay Ellis "super smart".

Many of YouTube’s most popular critical voices—from the witheringly insightful social-political thinker ContraPoints to the film-loving weirdos at Red Letter Media—have giant followings on Patreon, where supporters back creators by pledging regular donations. Ellis currently has 6,000 donors on the site, which makes up more than half of her income, with the rest largely coming from YouTube ad revenue and sponsorships.

See, I told you her channel was covert advertising and product placement. She does not disclose upfront whether she is making a video about a movie as sponsored content or because she herself wanted to review it. That's covert advertising and very deceptive. Film reviewers on Youtube should disclose upfront whether they were asked by sponsors to review a certain movie.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino