TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

• Sorry about the recent downtime. The database server is being autistic. The beatings will continue.

HonestJohn2376

kiwifarms.net
Lindsay discusses her career and work with the first cut crew.

4:05 - Lindsay's regret as the Nostalgia Chick. These comments do not resonate with me. If anything, Nostalgia Chick was measured compared to the other speds at Channel Awesome, and there was at least an attempt to connect whatever nostalgic media with the culture it came from and our culture today. In other words, something a bit deeper than just reviewing a bad movie. If Lindsay listened to her old-school fans instead of her new woke followers, then she would not be ashamed.

The rampant bad faith Ben Shapiro takedowns Lindsay complains about, at least those from the conservative end, didn't start with Channel Awesome but with GamerGate and later Jordan Peterson's beef with troons. At least from where I'm coming from as someone who was very progressive back in the day.

5:00 - The Chicago Sun and New York Times were very snobbish, and still are. They're worse than Channel Awesome. Doug and his shit-eating colleagues at least don't pretend to be elite gatekeepers of high art who measure every movie against Schindler's List.

8:30 - Decent insight in how YouTube stifles new voices as it formalized and settled into a rigid hierarchy of top-tier, middle-tier, and derelict creators. YouTube is no longer a playground or wild west. It is a corporation, and you get your foot in the door through connections with higher ups.

16:10 - The trend for YouTube stars is to have YA ghostwritten. Lindsay follows this path, though she at least wrote the damn story herself.

18:30 - Lindsay acknowledges the flaws of the Me Too movement. I will also add that it presaged callout culture with its vigilante justice and how people abuse it to damage enemies.

20:30 - Lindsay took 10 years to write her book? Are you serious! You'd think 10 years would make something better than a rough draft of a YA novel. If there was a muse for prose writing, she should have bitch slapped the insolent Lindsay by now. Such waste of time and talent is a crime against humanity,

21:45 - Some interesting content on the Cora character, a mix between Latina and Italian, and German. Cora describes herself as white both to pass and because she does not feel brown enough to count as a "real" woman of color. What's interesting is how Cora's feelings of not being brown enough come from her dad being half German, not including her mother's Italian heritage. The more cynical part of me thinks it's because German is "too white", "imperialist", "Nazi", and therefore bad according to extreme progressives.

31:40 - Some discussion on the nature of language. Lindsay followed Noam Chomsky's ideas of all languages having an underlying basic algorithm.

38:35 - "What is true is not as important as how the truth is framed." This is actually a somewhat profound insight. Lindsay makes the first contact part of her novel less about cracking the alien language and more about how the alien language is framed and the intentions of the framer. If there is another first contact book/movie emphasizing this extra layer about language, please let me know.

47:45 - Even Lindsay thinks the Ampersand art looks like a Pokemon.

48:25 - I appreciate the shoutout to Contact, probably my favorite alien movie since it affected me a lot as a kid. I have a soft spot for Jodie Foster, so that helps.

51:05 - Lindsay explains why she made Ampersand a vegetarian. It is a way of exploring how a species will assume its evolved eating habits and the values that evolve from that are the norm. So an alien evolving to be a vegetarian will look at opportunistic omnivores like humans with horror. A species that indulges in cannibalism and eats sheep brains must look psychotic to an alien like Ampersand, who is more scared of humans than the other way around.

54:20 - Lindsay is planning four more books. Excellent. The cow has more tard cum in reserve.

Last edited:

Random Internet Person

3...2...1! Henshin!
kiwifarms.net

furūtsu

kiwifarms.net
TL;DR Axiom’s End thoughts below

I’m about 3 hours into the audiobook version and I’m already sick of the Whedon tier dialogue. The protagonist is also an insufferable 20-something who acts more like a typical teenager and has little self awareness. Her absentee father is one of the few interesting characters in the boom with actual potential and he’s constantly referred to by Cora as being this monstrous pseudo-intellectual deadbeat.

I can’t help but wonder if he hits close to home for Lindsay, hmm.

Honestly this book has a lot of interesting ideas but is too far up its own ass and too poorly executed to be good. At best, it’s mediocre YA schlock that a middle schooler might identify with and be mildly entertained by when they’ve burned through whatever bigger YA offerings they’ve read. (If middle schoolers still read, anyway).

Petronella

kiwifarms.net
38:35 - "What is true is not as important as how the truth is framed." This is actually a somewhat profound insight. Lindsay makes the first contact part of her novel less about cracking the alien language and more about how the alien language is framed and the intentions of the framer. If there is another first contact book/movie emphasizing this extra layer about language, please let me know.
Reminds me somewhat of Arrival/Story of Your Life.

Effluvium

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
She managed decent numbers the first week out when it was listed #6 on Publishers Weekly, then sales dropped like a stone.
Like I said. I checked the recent sales numbers. I didn't even know about her book. Who's to say not many people even know or care about Ellis?

I mean, let's be honest. Ellis's book is the very definition of "it's been done", and she doesn't even do it that good. I can listen better to a Goosebumps audio book till the very end without getting bored or annoyed.