TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing. Registration and password reset emails are unavailable due to a DDoS attack on the email server.
-Pained and Hackneyed 'Queer' reading that itself falls into increasingly well worn tropes, I feel like any story that involves some kind of transformation is now going to be said to be a trans allegory no matter how little actual sense that makes. And apparently a guy not being into a girl means he's gay coded automatically? But in the original story the Prince actually does love another woman which is why the Mermaid is so emotionally devastated at the end? Its stupid and it shows how much queer readings often have to bend and break the work in question to make sense.
On TV Tropes, Rantasmo of "Needs More Gay" has a drinking game: Take a shot every time he says something is a metaphor for the closet. Apparently, it sounds like this drinking game can be extended to the rest of BreadTube along with more shit regarding LGBT arguments and metaphors
-Disney movie from her childhood
You could also add "shit she did as Nostalgia Chick"
Also the trans allegory makes even less sense in this movie when you think about it because she only wants to be human to be able to move around on the surface and interact with the love of her life, otherwise getting legs is presented as a major sacrifice she would otherwise prefer not to do but has to because its the only way she thinks she'll be able to get what she wants. She only ends up doing it for the sake of the man in her life, not really herself, its more like getting plastic surgery to have huge ass knockers or else her husband will divorce her.
I thought the big deal was giving up her voice in order to do the legs. It's been so damn long I don't even know if she gets it back.

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
I think its very uninspired and to me it seems like shes increasingly locked into a dull formula, I was watching this and I could almost already predict what the whole video would entail beforehand based on her other stuff.
It’s a basic bitch take on media in general. I’m sure it’s been discussed ad nauseam amongst the breadtube set as well. The fact that there is nothing new here shouldn’t surprise anyone but Lindsay needed something safe to try to move on from her “apology” which actually wasn’t one.

Junior Faze

We got a pepper bar
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
John Waters hasn't been in public for well over twenty years.

This is utterly wrong.

Waters keeps himself in the public eye. He’s pretty much achieved living legend status. COVID-19 may have slowed down his public appearances, but he managed to keep busy even so.

Behold my receipts paltry mortal:

Last fall, he was the centerpiece of a YSL campaign

262D5682-28C4-4181-B65B-59D74CDEA171.jpeg

He has accepted recurring roles on two popular teevee shows:
1B4AF96C-A702-47E5-8D39-A4B9462F058F.png

1A9BED98-B5DC-4762-847E-9B514E2872E0.png

He will be doing his annual live sold-out Christmas show in San Francisco that he has done for the last 25 years ( minus 2020).

762C41FB-3B77-4C07-BD90-05E4A2455DA2.jpeg

AND … the pre-order for his upcoming (July 7) FunkoPop figurine has completely sold out on Amazon (although appears to be available direct from Funko).
9BFD8784-A42E-4DF9-AF7B-0A188F9AF5B9.png

Lyndsay wishes she could have one tenth of his cultural impact.

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But in the original story the Prince actually does love another woman which is why the Mermaid is so emotionally devastated at the end? Its stupid and it shows how much queer readings often have to bend and break the work in question to make sense.
IIRC, the usual queer reading is based on the fact that Hams Christian Andersen was gay and his best friend got married to a woman, breaking Andersen’s heart. So the mermaid represents Hans, the prince is his friend and the whole thing is about how no matter what sacrifices Hans makes, they can never be together.

(Apologies if Lindsay made that point, I haven’t watched the video yet)

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
IIRC, the usual queer reading is based on the fact that Hams Christian Andersen was gay and his best friend got married to a woman, breaking Andersen’s heart. So the mermaid represents Hans, the prince is his friend and the whole thing is about how no matter what sacrifices Hans makes, they can never be together.

She brought it up, but I don't recall her ever showing the letters that Hans Christian Andersen wrote to his friend. So I had no clue if it was an accurate reading of those letters, or just Lindsay reading two close guys as friends=gay while watching her video.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
She brought it up, but I don't recall her ever showing the letters that Hans Christian Andersen wrote to his friend. So I had no clue if it was an accurate reading of those letters, or just Lindsay reading two close guys as friends=gay while watching her video.
Man, if you read some of these old letters using current meanings of things, everybody was fucking gay. Even if the vocab hadn't changed, the writing style back then involved people being a lot more frank with their emotions and feelings than our cynical Current Year society can handle.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Man, if you read some of these old letters using current meanings of things, everybody was fucking gay. Even if the vocab hadn't changed, the writing style back then involved people being a lot more frank with their emotions and feelings than our cynical Current Year society can handle.

Everyone who does this shit needs to have that CS Lewis quote branded on their forehead:

"Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend."​

I’d also say that, and that they see many places (including intellectual hubs) as thriving LGBT scenes if only because they couldn’t be open so they had to find other ways to live the lives they wanted, they didn’t care what people thought of them, and maybe some shit about things being “code”. Weimar Germany comes to mind.

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I felt kinda sorry for her being cancelled for bullshit all, as I do for anyone, but then I'm blissfully unawares as to anything she's done that might kind of make it pleasingly karmic.
She cancelled Bob Chimpman for awkwardly trying to be her friend. He deserved it, though. Still, she's never been above canceling others over nonsensical reasons.
AND … the pre-order for his upcoming (July 7) FunkoPop figurine has completely sold out on Amazon (although appears to be available direct from Funko).
If I didn't utterly loathe Funko Pops I'd consider this one. The trash aesthetic is actually very fitting for Waters.
Waters keeps himself in the public eye. He’s pretty much achieved living legend status. COVID-19 may have slowed down his public appearances, but he managed to keep busy even so.
He's also the single living man who can successfully rock the pencil thin gay pedostache without getting #metooed.

Shotgun Badger

kiwifarms.net

In the video she says that he was probably asexual but wikipedia makes sound like he was bi.

I'm not too big of a fan of reading a huge amount of an author's personal life into their work, at the very least the little mermaid in the story is, well, not a man, which scuppers a lot of the gay readings right off the bat.

In the video she says that he was probably asexual but wikipedia makes sound like he was bi.

I'm not too big of a fan of reading a huge amount of an author's personal life into their work, at the very least the little mermaid in the story is, well, not a man, which scuppers a lot of the gay readings right off the bat.
I’m pretty sure the school of thought is that “because reasons, people weren’t able to make things explicitly LGBT orientated, or at least get popular with them, so they had to disguise it as something else”. Then again, HCA wasn’t part of a time where they gave interviews talking about their shit and the only way you can get their real thoughts is to go through letters and correspondence to friends, family, and colleagues in their field.

So, you got legions of people not being able to just let things be, to the point where again, people can say “take a shot every time this guy says something represents being in the closet”.

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net

Try as I might, the best possible gay readings of Little Mermaid I can think of is that the Little Mermaid changes to become human, same as the prince. They're both the same (homo-) now, so the love is destined to be unrequited. This is a very weak reading, since the countess the prince is in love with is also human. The other gay reading is that the prince marries a woman in a proper, natural relationship instead of going after an unnatural creature trying to be a woman (a.k.a. a gay man). I don't think that's a reading gay men would like.

Of course, the main issue with reading the Little Mermaid as an unrequited gay relationship based on Andersen's life is that Andersen was apparently more sexually successful with men than women.

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
Personally, I'm dubious about reading too much into a story.
"Unrequited love" is not exclusive to same sex relationships. "Girl ruins her life by chasing after someone who doesn't love her" is more common in life than in fiction, because it's too depressing.
She should know it's not restricted to gay romance. She's told Bob and Quinton to fuck off.