TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
If she did that, she wouldn't feel like a big deal, Why self publish and most likely get more money when you can brag about getting a book deal with a big publisher and how it took 10 years to get to this point so you can humblebrag?
This is correct. Despite it being a lumbering dinosaur with the meteor visible in the sky, Lindsay wants nothing more than be accepted by legacy media. Even if that means a shitty book publishing deal, even if it means making awful videos for PBS where she is in the process of getting squeezed out by a less competent black woman, Lindsay is no iconoclast. This extends to nearly everything, especially her very basic “analyses” that never rock the boat unless she fucks something up unintentionally.

Water-T

I'M A 10 - ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 1000
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know jack shit about Mara's actual sexuality if she's Bi or just wanted woke points.
IIRC, Mara conviently came out as bi only AFTER she was being mobbed by the LGBTeratti on Twitter because she admitted to being one of those straight white chicks that go to gay bars and make fools of themselves. A cold leftover breakfast burrito is more queer than that has-been

IIRC, Mara conviently came out as bi only AFTER she was being mobbed by the LGBTeratti on Twitter because she admitted to being one of those straight white chicks that go to gay bars and make fools of themselves. A cold leftover breakfast burrito is more queer than that has-been
So she did, huh? I mean, some in the LGBT circle hate lesbians being seen as “fap bait for straight guys”.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
When selling a book to book stores, how much does the publisher hype the author to the stores? For example, a Stephen King novel is a guaranteed hit, so a publisher can easily sell a ton of books based on his name alone.

Now I don't know much about the business but I could see the publisher mentioning the size of Lindsay's audience online and using that as an incentive. "If she's getting two million hits on a video, imagine how many of them will buy a copy of her first book!" Now we all know that online fame doesn't necessarily translate to real life, but many people still don't understand that.

I assume that's also how Quinns book was sold.

Regarding publishers pushing/marketing authors, depends on the publisher. That said, 95 percent of first time authors get little to no marketing... its sink or swim, which is why every author desperately hawks thier books constantly on social media and at conventions.

2020 was especially bad for that, as awful as it was for publishers and retailers. Already thin marketing budgets were cut to the bone, there were book tours, and there was a circling of the wagons around big authors to pay the bills. I could name a dozen or two talented new authors last year whose debuts were absolutely f***ed because of that.

As far as which books stores get, the publisher, distributor and store all get a say in it, but beyond the initial first shipment from the publisher, sales numbers are the big factor on all three.

It's the reason why even as Woke as Tor is, you will always see Robert Jordan and Orson Scott Card on the shelves, while whatever hyped up diversity hire they have tends to replace last years model.

What its worth, Lindsay did get a decent marketing push by the publisher, again, because I think they overestimated how much her web fans/simps would carry over in real life. That and all of Breadtube plugging it for months, and all it got her was one week on the charts and the fastest trip to wholesale clearance bins I have seen in years.

Not that I know, but from what I've heard it's easier than ever to self-publish as long as you're willing doing to do a bit of leg-work. It seems to make far more sense for a relatively unknown person like her to just do that.

I will have more on self publishing vs trad publishing in a minute, but again, the baffling thing about Lindsay's book is on paper, she shouldn't have been juat another floundering newbie author.

On paper, she's a Hugo-nominated media personality with millions of social media followers and ringing endorsements of other influencers. I get why a publisher looked at that on paper and decided she was worth a gamble more than some total unknown in the slush pile.

On paper anyway. Reality is, we know all that is pretty much worthless offline or outside Lindsay's circles, and I actually do think the publishers knew that too, to SOME extent... there is a reason why nobody gave her Starscream slashfic the time of day until she bought a Hugo nomination.

As for Quinn's book? It was one of those "give a book deal to someone making headlines right now ASAP" deals. Save maybe the idiots at the Hugo Awards and Quinn herself, nobody involved in publishing it thought it was anything more than a long shot gamble. The movie option probably covered the loss, and they could dump it on wholesalers.

This is correct. Despite it being a lumbering dinosaur with the meteor visible in the sky, Lindsay wants nothing more than be accepted by legacy media. Even if that means a shitty book publishing deal, even if it means making awful videos for PBS where she is in the process of getting squeezed out by a less competent black woman, Lindsay is no iconoclast. This extends to nearly everything, especially her very basic “analyses” that never rock the boat unless she fucks something up unintentionally.

Hey man, us dinosaurs have feelings too.

I kid, I word in editorial, I have no feelings left.

Lindsay's biggest weakness is that for all her ego and success, she knows she is the least important part of her own success story. Doug Walker picking a different Nostalgia Chick or Bread Tube not letting her collect Contras scraps, and she's just another white liberal arts major who hates where she came from.

Imagine having an ego like hers and knowing your entire career was built on the equivalent of being the Numa Numa guys girl sidekick. Its probably why she gave up Hollywood in favor of writing... its a much smaller ocean with much fewer sharks capable of highlighting what a little fish she is. At least in the wokie/SFWA crowd she's aiming for.

Thing is... she's not wrong to aim for legacy media first, even if in her case, its because she desperately craves legitimacy.

I actually recommend anyone who wants to be a writer at least make the attempt to get something published traditionally first... build your brand, hones your talents, actually gets your work in front of an editor (something a lot of self-published authors DESPERATELY need) and if you can make it, its a huge confidence booster... if you can get something published traditionally, especially if your plumbing and skin color weren't what got you the book deal, you can easily make it in self publishing, and stand head and shoulders above most of the field.

I know people who get those infamous nonform rejection letters, and every time they're discouraged, I have to point out every publisher and magazine gets hundreds to thousands of submissions every month. Getting a nonform means you are among the best 2 percent in the field, and a lot of times, just means they only had x number of available spots and you had the shit luck of them not being able to squeeze you in.

Yes, the majority of SFWA is dependant on welfare, Patreon, grant money or a combination of each. Yes, there are lot of self-publishers who routinely make 100k a year. Thing is, any jackass can self-publish a book, and 90 of them mever sell more than a dozen copies. You need to prove you are better than the rest, to readers, and perhaps more importantly to yourself.

That's part of why I loathe Lindsay's entrance into speculative fiction as much as I do... I could name a hundred authors, and far many more aspiring authors who put out achingly beautiful work, and who with a fraction of Lindsay's platform and connections, would be household names.

And Lindsay uses them to put out a glorified shit-tier fanfic about how much she wants to fuck Starscream and how much she hates George W. Bush.

Ninon42

kiwifarms.net
Lindsaysphere update: it turns out Todd nuked himself from Twitter by getting absolutely slammed by DMCA claims. He'd posted literally dozens of videos from the Javelina Running meme with different songs ages ago and now they've been hit lol. Twasn't Kyle/Jourdain or the tranny army mad about Sarah Z's Homestuck but his own stupid sense of humor. Song vs Song is his and Dany's podcast so he's been Tweeting on that account.

TitS_SvsS_JavelinaRunningLOL.png

Last edited:

Water-T

I'M A 10 - ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 1000
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But do you really want a child with severe FAS being taken care of a melting drunkard of a spinster that can barely take care of herself?
Don't worry - she'll get that thing flushed down the toilet before the fetus becomes viable, then make a documentary about how Stunning & Brave she was for doing so.

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
Don't worry - she'll get that thing flushed down the toilet before the fetus becomes viable, then make a documentary about how Stunning & Brave she was for doing so.
Considering the jokes she knows would happen from A Word 2, I wonder if instead she'd make a sequel about having the baby to show that now she has grown into a person who could raise a child. She probably assumes she could.

If she did have a kid, I could see her telling it about their aborted sister and how stunning and brave mommy was at the time. Hell, she told her parents about it.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
If she did have a kid, I could see her telling it about their aborted sister and how stunning and brave mommy was at the time. Hell, she told her parents about it.
Yes, but she hates her parents. All SJWs have "fuck you dad" as a core ethic, and none hold it more strongly than hicklibs who think they've been saved from their roots by having a come-to-social-justice moment.

macguyver16

kiwifarms.net
She just seems to dislike her own family considering she called them uneducated white trash in her mask off video IIRC.

Yes, but she hates her parents. All SJWs have "fuck you dad" as a core ethic, and none hold it more strongly than hicklibs who think they've been saved from their roots by having a come-to-social-justice moment.
From my experience, smalltown American liberals can be just as, if not more insufferable, than any smalltown conservative is purported to be.

Laughingjoke2

kiwifarms.net
From my experience, smalltown American liberals can be just as, if not more insufferable, than any smalltown conservative is purported to be.
I'm left of center and it's always been my experience that outside of bible thumpers conservatives are much more likeable than liberals. Being liberal/progressive is usually a defining trait to them unlike conservatives where it's just something they are and by default they're more pleasant most of the time.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
I'm left of center and it's always been my experience that outside of bible thumpers conservatives are much more likeable than liberals. Being liberal/progressive is usually a defining trait to them unlike conservatives where it's just something they are and by default they're more pleasant most of the time.
Once you believe your side is objectively correct (bible thumpers, modern progressives) you become an insufferable asshole, as to you, you can do no wrong and everyone against you is stupid or evil.

jspit2.0

kiwifarms.net
Considering the jokes she knows would happen from A Word 2, I wonder if instead she'd make a sequel about having the baby to show that now she has grown into a person who could raise a child. She probably assumes she could.

Oh fuck me. Surely getting on in years at this point?

Once you believe your side is objectively correct (bible thumpers, modern progressives) you become an insufferable asshole, as to you, you can do no wrong and everyone against you is stupid or evil.

So....be an indecisive bastard who doesn't know what you think?

1627940351960.png

I imagine it's related to insecurity in being different.

As for me, most of the human race is largely insufferable.

It has nothing to do with murdering babies, thumping Bibles, or humping cows. If you're the worst possible version of yourself, your insufferable.