TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
Huh, I thought she still had her Lord of the Rings videos up. Must have taken them down.

But yes, I'm certain that she leaves it up so that people who want to know about Hot Dog Girl can watch the video on her channel and give it ad revenue instead of someone's reupload.

After all, that video ends with a song from... SOUTH PARK!
She does have Lord of The Rings videos from her Nostalgia Chick days on her channel. You're right about the reason she has the Freddy Got Fingered video on her main channel. The only reason I remember she did that was because she accused Doug of plagarizing her video when he did his review on that movie.

She does have Lord of The Rings videos from her Nostalgia Chick days on her channel. You're right about the reason she has the Freddy Got Fingered video on her main channel. The only reason I remember she did that was because she accused Doug of plagarizing her video when he did his review on that movie.
Dang, missed that one. Must still be up to go with her Hobbit videos.

Regardless, any Chick videos you want to see, you have to KNOW what you're looking for these days, because Lindsay has buried them away.

Ninon42

Heeeeere's Penny!
kiwifarms.net
Checking in yet again with Counting Lindsay's Money. She's been pretty quiet in the lead-up to the book release in October, besides the Loki video. So! Some charts and numbers courtesy of Socialblade:
LE_socialblade1_8Sep2021.png

The subscriber flatline first noticed on 21 July has now become a downturn

LE_socialblade2_8Sep2021.png

Just like last time, no new subs noted, though she did move at some point from 1.16 to 1.17M

LE_patreon_8Sep2021.png

After the post-Twittering 10K+ high, this is a new low. It did get down to 9296 paypigs two days ago so there was a small increase. Lindsay is no longer in the top 50 Patreon creators. Hontra is 25, Jenny Nicholson is 40 and HBomberguy is 47 or so but she's out for now.

The stagnation continues.

She's managed to cross the half a million mark in the week since she uploaded the Loki video, but that makes me wonder if this is the end for her.

If I'm right and the book series is going to get cancelled for low sales, will she come back to Youtube full time or try something else?
She’ll only do what allows her to keep her leftist intellectual image. And I guess the MCU lets her keep that image.

Trig.Point

I wouldn't start from here.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I'm right and the book series is going to get cancelled for low sales, will she come back to Youtube full time or try something else?
I doubt that, a lot of Sci Fi book series have kept going with sales of a few thousand. Ellis has hundreds of thousands of fans that will buy whatever she publishes.

Also consider that her publisher have put little or no money into actuallyl marketing the book, I'm willing to bet that her book tour was entirely self funded. She is essentially working for free.

I doubt that, a lot of Sci Fi book series have kept going with sales of a few thousand. Ellis has hundreds of thousands of fans that will buy whatever she publishes.

Also consider that her publisher have put little or no money into actuallyl marketing the book, I'm willing to bet that her book tour was entirely self funded. She is essentially working for free.
I have no idea what the literature industry is like, even for the “big names”, so I feel like Lindsay’s going to be fine.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net

You just made the same mistake her publisher probably did - ie, assuming Twitter followers would result in book sales.

Go back a few pages - her first book is literally being dumped onto wholesalers for $5 a pop at record speed.

Given how new the book is, that means one thing: the publisher is taking a bath on this book, and is trying to recoup as much money as possible.

I think they saw her numbers on social media, that Hugo nomination she bought herself, and assumed she was a sure thing - multibook contract, probably a steep advance for a debut novelist. And they marketed the first book heavily... it sold well for a week, and less than a year later, its collecting dust in clearance bins.

For a publisher, that's a disaster. Which is probably why Lindsay is desperately plugging book 2 as much as she is. She probably got a stern talking to from the publisher that if this one does as badly or worse, they're cutting her loose.

I have no idea what the literature industry is like, even for the “big names”, so I feel like Lindsay’s going to be fine.

Lucky for you, I do.

Poke around some of the other posts on this thread I've made for more details, but the short version? Publishers lose money on 19 out of every 20 books, and maybe 1 author out of 100 ever is a real moneymaker.

For a debut novelist, Ellis is actually performing pretty normally. First book has a good first week then drops like a rock, next book does little worse, and once the initial contract is completed, they're dropped by the publisher.

Author gets a small advance and maybe some more money if the book breaks even (few do) and then looks to sell books to a new publisher, or quits writing. Publisher is out whatever they paid on the advance, but otherwise okay.

Again, that's typical for 99 percent of debut novelists. Issue is I don't think her publisher treated Ellis as a debut novelist - they bought her hype, made a large print run, offered a sizable advance, ran a marketing campaign that a new author would otherwise never get... they saw a Hugo-nominated YouTube star with a popular Twitter and bet she'd sell books quick and earn out... and based on the fact her first book got dumped on wholesalers faster than most books I see, and her new book has had little to no marketing compared to the last one.

They ran into the same issue Ellis has everywhere else: that networking and branding might get you a book deal, but it won't make the public buy it.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
Publishers made the same mistake with Lindsay that they did with Zoe Quinn: they saw Twitter numbers, e-fame, and "geeky girl", and thought that = $$$$$

Now Wine Aunt's book is rotting in the $2 rack at Dollar Tree next to Chelsea's spare roll of toilet paper.

Quinn is a different beast - your bog standard book deal to someone making tons of headlines in the moment. If it sells, great, if not, the publisher made its money back on the movie rights, no money lost.

I don't think the publishers ever expected Quinn's book to sell... but they clearly had hopes for Ellis. Hopes that are quickly having been proven misplaced.

Quinn is a different beast - your bog standard book deal to someone making tons of headlines in the moment. If it sells, great, if not, the publisher made its money back on the movie rights, no money lost.

I don't think the publishers ever expected Quinn's book to sell... but they clearly had hopes for Ellis. Hopes that are quickly having been proven misplaced.
And there’s certainly no adaptations coming from Lindsay’s work.

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2506234

The comment section is full of armchair psychiatrists just as cringey as The Alcoholic Chick herself.

Unfortunately for Lindsay, it's gonna take more than a ring light to hide the damage the booze has done to her body.

URL archive, channel landing page as of 2 Sept 2021 archived here & here.

Damn! That picture is like the poster child for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome boiled down and concentrated.

Also the fact that she tries so hard to bury her Nostalgia Chick days is hilariously stupid. Most authors would kill for that kind of built in audience and branding. Because it would all but guarantee them more actual book sales than all but the top 5% or so of published authors see in a decade.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Damn! That picture is like the poster child for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome boiled down and concentrated.

Also the fact that she tries so hard to bury her Nostalgia Chick days is hilariously stupid. Most authors would kill for that kind of built in audience and branding. Because it would all but guarantee them more actual book sales than all but the top 5% or so of published authors see in a decade.
Wokeness truly is a suicide cult.