TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
She doesn't disclose anything but the raw number of supporters, but we can guesstimate. Some numbers and half-assed estimations:

At the moment of writing, Lindsay has 9391 paypigs and 2 levels of support, $2 and $10 per month, which puts her at #58 of the top Patreon accounts. Using Todd's account with similar levels and more disclosure as a model, he has 3168 paypigs of which 181 are listed in his last video as $10/vid pigs or 5.71% of his overall patrons. Lindsay apparently lists the $10 pigs in her vids too but had to limit it because there were too many. So say 6% at $10 as a conservative estimate, which gives 9391*0.06=564 (round up) at $10 and 8827 at $2 so (564*10)+(8827*2)= $23294 per month (min $18782, max $93910) in Patreonbux. (and ignore the mixed sigfigs, this is just light mathing for fun)

Patreon fees come in multiple levels (4, 8 and 12%) and since she has mentioned getting contacted by Patreon before during the Omegaverse kerfuffle and the Pro level includes some time of management advisory shit from them, let's guess she is doing the 12% fee. So that's 23294-(23294*0.12)=$20499 monthly we're down to pre-tax. Still a hefty chunk of change when it's a monthly fee regardless of content creation.

In addition to her Patreon paypigs, there's also money coming in from AdSense from weirdos who somehow don't have adblockers. Looking at data from Graphtreon, Socialblade and Speakrj, Lindsay's videos average around 1.5M views (min 300K, max 3M). AdSense pays around $2-8/1000 views so taking the average at $5/1000 views that's ((1500000/1000)*5)=$7500 per video (min $3K, max $12K). Sponsorships pay a further $10-50/1000 views (over a given time frame, but we'll ignore that here by assuming the vast majority of views are within the applicable period). Using the same 1.5M views estimate as before with an average $30/1K views gives us 1500*30=$45000 fucking hell per video (min $15000, max $75000). I hope to heck that is an overestimate because I'm starting to hate the world right now.

On top of this, there is income from her podcast Musicalsplaining which has 1-2 sponsors per episode and is #45 on Apple and #42 on Spotify for podcasts per Chartable. Couldn't really find any numbers for streams or how sponsorships pay out on podcasts, but that's more money coming in. Then there's whatever she makes writing and doing the It's Lit series for PBS (no idea what something like that pays) and the money for her seminal literary masterpiece Axiom's End (idk ask @Boston Brand ). So that's all the money coming in, and assuming she produces one video per month gives 20499+7500= $27999 per month or $335988 per year after Patreon fees, including AdSensebux but before the additional big chunk from sponsorship pre-tax. With my sponsorship estimate, it's $72999/mo and $875988/yr pre-tax and now I'm MATI.

But then comes the expenses. Lindsay lives in Long Beach, California where self-employment tax is 15.3% and using the higher yearly estimate that alone knocks it down to 875988-(875988*0.153)=$741962. There's undoubtedly many other taxes that I won't even begin to estimate and she's probably got a shitload of writeoffs too. She employs Elisa as a YouTube comment mod (lol) and assistant, Angelina as a writer and maybe Nella too idk? Lindsay has griped before about having to form a LLC and paying for health care insurance for Elisa in North Carolina and Angelina in Pennsylvania before so each of them has associated benefit costs as well as salaries or whatever. If she hires out for video production and editing, there's additional monies getting paid.

Short answer then is that if she is at all fiscally responsible, she could easily save enough money to do whatever she wants and float along on aerospace engineer cuckband's salary in a year or two.
She might be fiscally responsible, but isn't this the same woman who possibly spends hundreds of dollars on Rare Transformers Action figures? Doesn't she also go to Disneyland and the Cheesecake Factory a lot? Also can't forget about her alcohol consumption, that will take away a good amount of her income. She also mentioned having about $60,000 in student loan debt so she still has to deal with that.https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1290075608349683714
1632082791200.png

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Lindsay’s career as an author is about to get aborted harder than her fetus.
She doesn't disclose anything but the raw number of supporters, but we can guesstimate. Some numbers and half-assed estimations:

At the moment of writing, Lindsay has 9391 paypigs and 2 levels of support, $2 and $10 per month, which puts her at #58 of the top Patreon accounts. Using Todd's account with similar levels and more disclosure as a model, he has 3168 paypigs of which 181 are listed in his last video as $10/vid pigs or 5.71% of his overall patrons. Lindsay apparently lists the $10 pigs in her vids too but had to limit it because there were too many. So say 6% at $10 as a conservative estimate, which gives 9391*0.06=564 (round up) at $10 and 8827 at $2 so (564*10)+(8827*2)= $23294 per month (min $18782, max $93910) in Patreonbux. (and ignore the mixed sigfigs, this is just light mathing for fun)

Patreon fees come in multiple levels (4, 8 and 12%) and since she has mentioned getting contacted by Patreon before during the Omegaverse kerfuffle and the Pro level includes some time of management advisory shit from them, let's guess she is doing the 12% fee. So that's 23294-(23294*0.12)=$20499 monthly we're down to pre-tax. Still a hefty chunk of change when it's a monthly fee regardless of content creation.

In addition to her Patreon paypigs, there's also money coming in from AdSense from weirdos who somehow don't have adblockers. Looking at data from Graphtreon, Socialblade and Speakrj, Lindsay's videos average around 1.5M views (min 300K, max 3M). AdSense pays around $2-8/1000 views so taking the average at $5/1000 views that's ((1500000/1000)*5)=$7500 per video (min $3K, max $12K). Sponsorships pay a further $10-50/1000 views (over a given time frame, but we'll ignore that here by assuming the vast majority of views are within the applicable period). Using the same 1.5M views estimate as before with an average $30/1K views gives us 1500*30=$45000 fucking hell per video (min $15000, max $75000). I hope to heck that is an overestimate because I'm starting to hate the world right now.

On top of this, there is income from her podcast Musicalsplaining which has 1-2 sponsors per episode and is #45 on Apple and #42 on Spotify for podcasts per Chartable. Couldn't really find any numbers for streams or how sponsorships pay out on podcasts, but that's more money coming in. Then there's whatever she makes writing and doing the It's Lit series for PBS (no idea what something like that pays) and the money for her seminal literary masterpiece Axiom's End (idk ask @Boston Brand ). So that's all the money coming in, and assuming she produces one video per month gives 20499+7500= $27999 per month or $335988 per year after Patreon fees, including AdSensebux but before the additional big chunk from sponsorship pre-tax. With my sponsorship estimate, it's $72999/mo and $875988/yr pre-tax and now I'm MATI.

But then comes the expenses. Lindsay lives in Long Beach, California where self-employment tax is 15.3% and using the higher yearly estimate that alone knocks it down to 875988-(875988*0.153)=$741962. There's undoubtedly many other taxes that I won't even begin to estimate and she's probably got a shitload of writeoffs too. She employs Elisa as a YouTube comment mod (lol) and assistant, Angelina as a writer and maybe Nella too idk? Lindsay has griped before about having to form a LLC and paying for health care insurance for Elisa in North Carolina and Angelina in Pennsylvania before so each of them has associated benefit costs as well as salaries or whatever. If she hires out for video production and editing, there's additional monies getting paid.

Short answer then is that if she is at all fiscally responsible, she could easily save enough money to do whatever she wants and float along on aerospace engineer cuckband's salary in a year or two.
Not bad for only a few hours of work per month at most. Your numbers look pretty solid and sound about right. Most of it is because guys still see her as the hotdogs in the face girl and hope they can stick their wieners in her, even if it’s a decade later and she has bad alcohol bloat and weighs 50 pounds more.

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
She might be fiscally responsible, but isn't this the same woman who possibly spends hundreds of dollars on Rare Transformers Action figures? Doesn't she also go to Disneyland and the Cheesecake Factory a lot? Also can't forget about her alcohol consumption, that will take away a good amount of her income. She also mentioned having about $60,000 in student loan debt so she still has to deal with that.https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1290075608349683714
View attachment 2552114
She was in the top 20 pages on patreon, which is usually over 10k, for years. How the hell does she not have this paid off by now?

She must be really shit with her money. Of course I can't see her being the type of wife who will cook a meal so she probably gets uber eats every night.

Bolo

kiwifarms.net
She was in the top 20 pages on patreon, which is usually over 10k, for years. How the hell does she not have this paid off by now?

She must be really shit with her money. Of course I can't see her being the type of wife who will cook a meal so she probably gets uber eats every night.
Even so, unless their food came wrapped in gold sheets, there is no way she shouldn't have money to pay her debt, either she is telling a lie or she unbeliveable shit with her money.

My money is on the lie, Linday wants to be on the side of the struggling artist shit, so there she goes.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net

Jesus, that much per month? No wonder she has money to blow on buying Hugo nominations. Patreon money alone, she probably makes more than every single person up for the Hugos this year COMBINED, if you exclude NK Jemison.

I knew she fled to spec fiction because it was a smaller pond than Hollywood, but if she has that kind of dough to throw around, no wonder she's causing ripples and resentment.

Now more than ever, I hope the book tanks, and that the rumors of catty shit planned to go down at the Hugos are true.

Bolo

kiwifarms.net
I knew she fled to spec fiction because it was a smaller pond than Hollywood, but if she has that kind of dough to throw around, no wonder she's causing ripples and resentment.

ohhh, you have some insider info for us? Is Lindsay ruffling some feathers as she tries to buy her way into accolades?

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
Even so, unless their food came wrapped in gold sheets, there is no way she shouldn't have money to pay her debt, either she is telling a lie or she unbeliveable shit with her money.

My money is on the lie, Linday wants to be on the side of the struggling artist shit, so there she goes.
I think I actually believe her because she's been suprisingly consistent about it compared to hating the supposed rape joke Doug made for TBF or saying she wasn't Moviebob's friend when she actually was. Here's some tweets talking about her student loan debt.
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1240730221721972736
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1106391817182822401
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1120504937828503552
1632133626100.png
1632133667000.png
1632133695100.png

MediocreMilt

I'm sorry. It had to be this way.
kiwifarms.net
If your loans now cost more than you borrowed and you've allegedly been working the entire time since college, you royally fucked up in there somewhere, Linz.

Either it was a loan you should have been smart enough not to take (there are very fine and inexpensive colleges), you jumped into a career that doesn't pay instead of studying ANYTHING ELSE AT THAT SCHOOL, or you've managed money poorly ever since school ended.

Or all of these. Probably all of these.

Disgruntled Pupper

Thuuder only happens wlen its raisinl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She makes and has made enough money for the past decade that she shouldn't have any student loans. I can't stand these rich liberal pricks who try to pretend they have the same struggles as the rest of the populace. Spoony did the same thing with whining about health insurance- he made enough to have an upper teir health insurance plan that covered all of his sad brain pills, but he was an irresponsible manchild and spent his money on toys and booze, then had the audacity to bitch about how unfair it was the US doesn't have a system like Canada. These people are irresponsible with money and then want daddy goverment to step in and take care of them and it's pathetic.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
ohhh, you have some insider info for us? Is Lindsay ruffling some feathers as she tries to buy her way into accolades?

Nothing I haven't pointed out before... but will gleefully say again, because its pretty funny.

SFWA, and the in group that controls the Hugos, is VERY insular. The list of everything they've done to wreck/control the Hugos is a masters class... but the key detail to bear in mind is most are bitter, miserable nobodies.

Aside from a few lucky breaks/charity cases like NK Jemison, the majority of the people who are up for Hugos are broke short fiction writers who survive off a combination of Patreon donations, disability and welfare.

You ever want to feel better about yourself, pick a few random SFWA bigwigs and then go look at thier Patreon numbers. You will feel so much better about your life.

That's actually one operating theory behind why they worked so hard to control the Hugos... they think a few Hugo nods can get them a movie deal or an academic posting somewhere. I mean, it worked for Jemison, they only had to make her the only person to win three Hugos for Best Novel in row to make it happen.

I digress though.

Enter Lindsay Ellis, someone with the kind of platform mosr writers would kill for, and the kind of financial success this lot would kill thier own mothers for.

It's pretty much an open secret she stuffed the ballot for her Hugo nomination for the Hobbit videos... with her money, easily done.

Thing is, is that were ever proven, that's the kind of thing that gets you blackballed. Hell, the Sad Puppies fiasco - that's a whole other story - was in part so controversial because thier authors organized campaigns for the award, which is FAR less egregious than just buying your way there.

So Ellis sacrificed a few grand to buy her way to a Hugo nod and a book deal... something which I can tell you has a ton of people in SFWA livid.

Now she has a Campbell nomination... and while I myself haven't seen the ballots, I know people who have... and looks like Lindsay once again bought her way in.

So with a target painted on her back, she is walking into a room of people now DESPERATE for a new target...

All the right wing authors and editors haven't touched the Hugos in years, what they did to Toni Weisskopf earlier this year guaranteed that.

Aside from a few useful idiots/simps like John Scalzi, the while/male/hetero authors know to either stay away or keep thier heads down, even leftie politics won't save you.

The big name authors who actually sell books know to stay away literally stopped short of crucifying George RR Martin last year, and a profanity laced tirade directed at him from last year's awards is LITERALLY up for a Hugo nod this year.

So now the Hugo voters have, what on paper, they claimed they wanted all along: an award by and for a bunch of leftwing, black/brown, feminist and LGBT authors, and nobody else.

And they HATE it. What's an annual witch burning when the safe targets have long since learned to stay away?

So the groups that worked to drive everyone else out are now turning on each other.

The black authors are trying to make the convention itself a con by black authors, for black authors.

Someone - I would guess the other two or three Native American spec fiction authors - leaked to various tribal authorities that SFWA's main token Native, Rebecca Roanhorse, might be as native as Elizabeth Warren.

The Trans community is on the warpath - justifiably so - after what happened with Isabel Fall, when a bunch of SFWA's in crowd, led by Jemison, demanded Fall's debut story be pulled, and accused her of pretending to be trans... and then Fall attempted suicide as a result.

Toss in that the organizing convention has fired the entire staff three times now, and the usual backstabbing that goes on at the Hugos, and this year's is going to be a powdwr keg.

They need a common enemy, someone they can unite around and destroy, like the good old days...

And oh, look at that! Look whose biggest achievement this year was getting run off of Twitter for her history of rascist comments! A rich white girl who bought her way to a writing career without paying her "dues"! Someone whose Hugo nods might have beenna result of one of the few things that can actually get you blacklisted by SFWA! And whom, if her second book tanks, will already be on her publishers shitlist, making her a safe target!

Essentially, Lindsay is a staggering drunk waltzing into an active minefield. Laced with gunpowder and gasoline. With multiple factions set to toss in a match.

No matter who throws the match, someone is getting blown up, will have deserved it, and the explosion will be magnificent to watch.

I think I actually believe her because she's been suprisingly consistent about it compared to hating the supposed rape joke Doug made for TBF or saying she wasn't Moviebob's friend when she actually was. Here's some tweets talking about her student loan debt.
View attachment 2553389
View attachment 2553390
View attachment 2553391

She is likely the type to always pay the minimum because she thinks between her simpbux and a salary of an engineer with her husband, she will never be in a situation where she won’t be able to make the minimum. Besides, paying down more of the principal means money that could go to Disney or booze and she can’t have that.

If your loans now cost more than you borrowed and you've allegedly been working the entire time since college, you royally fucked up in there somewhere, Linz.

Either it was a loan you should have been smart enough not to take (there are very fine and inexpensive colleges), you jumped into a career that doesn't pay instead of studying ANYTHING ELSE AT THAT SCHOOL, or you've managed money poorly ever since school ended.

Or all of these. Probably all of these.

Far simpler: She went to one of the most expensive film schools in the country. And like 99 percent of film school grads, got in debt up to her eyeballs for a degree she will never use.

Even with her Patreon bucks, she's probably up a creek on college loans... a degree from the USC School of Cinematic Arts can run 200k.

I wonder if that's another reason for her hatred of Ryan Coogler - he got into the same film school on academic scholarship, got out debt free, and went on to become the best director of his generation.

For all her desperation to pivot to being a writer, her dream was clearly film... and she got a front row seat to someone with far more talent achieve that very dream with gusto.

He made Creed and Black Panther, she's probably got over well over a quarter million dollars in debt to still make internet videos that can't outperform Doug Walker.

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
@Boston Brand All the shit you posted makes me wonder why anyone would want to get into the publishing business. 1
For Lindsay, it has to be that she doesn't want to be a Youtuber. She has ambition to be more than that. A lot of people would be happy with the success she has now, but she wants more. Being an author makes her seem more legitimate in the eyes of the media and herself like Spoony wanting to get on Jimmy Kimmel. However, it looks like it isn't panning out quite like she hoped with her first book already in Wholesalers within a year of its release. Her publishers are doing little marketing for the sequel so Lindsay is essentially on her own for advertising her upcoming book.

For Lindsay, it has to be that she doesn't want to be a Youtuber. She has ambition to be more than that. A lot of people would be happy with the success she has now, but she wants more. Being an author makes her seem more legitimate in the eyes of the media and herself like Spoony wanting to get on Jimmy Kimmel. However, it looks like it isn't panning out quite like she hoped with her first book already in Wholesalers within a year of its release. Her publishers are doing little marketing for the sequel so Lindsay is essentially on her own for advertising her upcoming book.
Sounds like adaptation rights aren’t coming anytime soon.

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
Sounds like adaptation rights aren’t coming anytime soon.
In a sane world yes, but remember Hollywood did adapt the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy which was originally started as Twilight fan fiction. They also adapted After, which was watt pad fan fiction that had Harry Styles as the male lead in the story. So who knows, maybe Lindsay's Transformers fan fiction will get adapted into a movie?

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
@Boston Brand All the shit you posted makes me wonder why anyone would want to get into the publishing business. 1
Most people aren't aware of it. Also, they assume writing is easy since they know how to type out a sentence so to them it's a get rich quick scheme.
In a sane world yes, but remember Hollywood did adapt the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy which was originally started as Twilight fan fiction. They also adapted After, which was watt pad fan fiction that had Harry Styles as the male lead in the story. So who knows, maybe Lindsay's Transformers fan fiction will get adapted into a movie?
yes but you have to remember that people actually bought 50 Shades, which is why they made it into a movie.

It's never about quality, it's about money.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net

That's easy: Because there will always be people who genuinely love to write and tell stories, and will do so no matter the obstacles in thier way.

It's damned hard to get a story accepted and published, much less to make a living at that... you think a bunch of social-justice obsessed jackasses will deter people from chasing that dream when failure and poverty do not?

Hell, I don't write, but you know why I love the spec fiction industry despite the utter insanity I deal with? I literally get paid to read and edit books for a living - as far as I'm concerned, that's the best job in the world.

Better yet, occasionally I come across great stories or brilliant talents that just take my breath away and make my head spin... if I can find a few of those diamonds in the rough, make them shine ane share that brilliance with the world? No cabal of jackasses at SFWA will make me quit, anymore than it would most aspiring authors.

Yes, your usual leftie assholes try and make things miserable... but most of the reason they're miserable is just how powerless they really are, and how that power is shrinking.

Taking over the Hugos didn't make people buy woke spec fiction, or support these authors, it just made the Hugos a punchline.

Entire publishers like Baen thumb thier noses at this establishment, to say nothing of the explosive growth in small press, self-publishing and movements like the Pulp revivalists.

For all the utter crap and frustration there is about the wokies making a stink of things, I still think its worth it... and so long as great authors and readers don't give up, it always will be.

Yup. Lindsay, more than anything else, craves legitimacy, especially from cultural authorities and in groups.

There is a big part of her that resents being "just" a YouTuber, and an even bigger part I think realizes her entire career was dependent on riding the coattails of more successful people, be it Doug Walker or BreadTube.

All the simp bucks and Twitter followers in the world can't fill that hole.

Thus, she tried to make a name in Hollywood, and when that failed, pivoted to the smaller pond of speculative fiction...

If I'm right, and her next book tanks, I'm sure she'll abandon writing just as quickly as she did Hollywood, for what, who can tell.

I do know that seeing all her networking and connections still can't get her book to sell for longer than a week has to drive her mad... this new one fails to do even that, we may get a spectacular meltdown.

Most people aren't aware of it. Also, they assume writing is easy since they know how to type out a sentence so to them it's a get rich quick scheme.

Given how the battle over the Hugos and that fiasco preceeded so much of our current troubles with social justice, I wonder if more people had paid attention to it and there had been more blowback, maybe we'd be in a different place now.

DumbDude42

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2553389
View attachment 2553390
View attachment 2553391
hasn't this woman been getting 5 figures from patreon and youtube per month, for years now? with that kind of income a 70k loan should be gone within like two or three years tops, no?

Ninon42

Heeeeere's Penny!
kiwifarms.net
Thus, she tried to make a name in Hollywood, and when that failed, pivoted to the smaller pond of speculative fiction...
Didn't she say that casting couch bullshit and sexual harassment was her reason for staying in her YouTube lane? A person less desperate for establishment validation would be proud of building name status and a brand that rakes in hundreds of thousands a year. Ambition and entrepreneurship are good things, Lindsay! Though after the Twittering, it was clear how unstable her base of support really is. Perhaps a move entirely behind the scenes in production/screenwriting and relocation to Texas are in her future.

Last edited:

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
Didn't she say that casting couch bullshit and sexual harassment was her reason for staying in her YouTube lane? A person less desperate for that establishment validation would be proud of building name status and and a brand that rakes in hundreds of thousands a year. Ambition and entrepreneurship are good things, Lindsay! Though after the Twittering, it was clear how unstable her base of support really is. Perhaps a move entirely behind the scenes in production/screenwriting and a move to Texas are in her future.
She talked about being sexually harassed by a two-time academy award winner on Twitter back in 2017 when #MeToo was at its strongest.