TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
She talked about being sexually harassed by a two-time academy award winner on Twitter back in 2017 when #MeToo was at its strongest.
I'm reasonably sure that a two-time academy award winner can do better than a puffy drunk with a cooch full of dead baby residue.

So, any speculation on how Lindsay continues the story? I mean, where is there for the plot to go after the last book? The main character basically became redundant halfway through, if memory serves.

Ninon42

Spooky Christmas goat
kiwifarms.net
So, any speculation on how Lindsay continues the story? I mean, where is there for the plot to go after the last book? The main character basically became redundant halfway through, if memory serves.
She's said that the second book is more focused on the human side of what happens when aliens invade and continues from that POV rather than exploring alien worlds. She also wants to go to Cambodia to do research for the third book once COVID restrictions are lifted. It should be noted that Lindsay described the series as a "thought exercise" rather than glorified Transformers fanfic because she is A Very Serious Author now.

I'm reasonably sure that a two-time academy award winner can do better than a puffy drunk with a cooch full of dead baby residue.

Some stuff about Obama saying the universe is smaller and that America is glad to be a citizen of it….and a lot less Linkin Park.

She's said that the second book is more focused on the human side of what happens when aliens invade and continues from that POV rather than exploring alien worlds. She also wants to go to Cambodia to do research for the third book once COVID restrictions are lifted. It should be noted that Lindsay described the series as a "thought exercise" rather than glorified Transformers fanfic because she is A Very Serious Author now.
What’s there to research in Cambodia? Besides the Khmer Rouge?

Ninon42

Spooky Christmas goat
kiwifarms.net
What’s there to research in Cambodia? Besides the Khmer Rouge?
In the time frame of Bush Jr's presidency, the main issues arising from Cambodia were child sex trafficking (probably too dark), idiot backpackers catching a bad case of death by misadventure (more generalized to SEA travelers) and the ecological impacts of the illegal harvest of the trees whose distillate is used in the production of safrole oil for ecstasy manufacturing. Or some shit around Angkor Wat just because it's a cool location, who knows.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
Care to give some recommendations?

I'm currently finishing Ian M. Banks' Culture series, at parts he is such an insufferable commie, but in other parts it's just so well done.

Work by someone new, by someone established, some recommendations would be cool.

If you're looking for space opera like that, and ironically, someone whose last conversation I had with him was a glorius riff on how much Banks sucks as a person? Christopher Ruocchio. Have him on thr mind since I just read the advance copy of his next book.

He writes an epic space opera - and I do mean epic, he writes doorstoppers - called the Sun Eater Saga. Five book series - now 6 because book 4 is being split in two because of paper supply shortages - that follows a fallen hero and leader of mankind named Hadrian Marlowe writing his biography post-fall.

Beautifully written and a joy to read, but the best part is Marlowe as a protagonist. A clear unreliable narrator who you still can't help but root for and wonder just what gets him from his humble beginnings to becoming the hero of mankind, whose heroics are immediately overshadowed by acts so terrible we've only so far seen hints of what went wrong... I lovingly describe Hadrian as Anakin Skywalker rolled in with Griffeth from Berserk... and the Sun Eater is him giving his side of the story post-defeat.

Toss in space Romans, a unique alien invasion threat, body horror, brilliant world building, a terrific handle on intrigue and action, and there is just so much to love about the series.

The kicker is if you dive into the series now you're just in time to jump in before Hadrian's greatest triumph... and see the start of his fall. Book 4 comes out next spring, book 5 probably next fall.

In ten years, we will be mentioning Ruocchio and Sun Eater in the same breath as Herbert and Dune.

Beyond that? What do you like, I'm happy to make a list. My easy answer is anything from Baen, Chris Kennedy Publishing or the Pulp Revivalists, but I can and will easily narrow down the hunt for you.

Bolo

kiwifarms.net
Hey @Boston, did you get to read Lindsay's book, if so, can you give us your opinion on it since you work on editorial and maybe some of your insight of how this book came to be and maybe why it does seem to have little editorial work on it.

I mean that is the impression that I got, but I'm far from being literatein, well, literature and the workings of it.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
Hey @Boston, did you get to read Lindsay's book, if so, can you give us your opinion on it since you work on editorial and maybe some of your insight of how this book came to be and maybe why it does seem to have little editorial work on it.

I mean that is the impression that I got, but I'm far from being literatein, well, literature and the workings of it.

Skimmed it... I get two dozen advance reader copies a week, so obviously I'm not going to slog through Ellis' latest when I have a copy of Leviathan Falls I can read instead...

But my general impression? She clearly didn't have a sequel planned or written when signed to that multibook contract, because for all the talk its bigger and grander than book 1, she's clearly spinning her wheels. And mind you, Axoim's End doesn't exactly have a real complex plot to build off to begin with.

That said, want to see it for yourself? Join Netgalley and ask for an advance copy. Odds are you'll get one.

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
Skimmed it... I get two dozen advance reader copies a week, so obviously I'm not going to slog through Ellis' latest when I have a copy of Leviathan Falls I can read instead...

But my general impression? She clearly didn't have a sequel planned or written when signed to that multibook contract, because for all the talk its bigger and grander than book 1, she's clearly spinning her wheels. And mind you, Axoim's End doesn't exactly have a real complex plot to build off to begin with.

That said, want to see it for yourself? Join Netgalley and ask for an advance copy. Odds are you'll get one.
She probably had a vague idea for what could happen in a sequel and beyond, but most likely she didn't have a real plan. She was too busy going to Disneyland and eating at Cheesecake Factory to work on fleshing it out.

Doesn’t sound promising. When you have multiple books planned, I’d imagine that the whole saga was at least outlined beforehand before signing the contract if the deal was always multiple books.

Bolo

kiwifarms.net

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant the first book, did you get to read it? If so, what is your take from it?

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net

Glad to see that she didn't have anything prepared even though she spent a decade to get these books published and could of outlined the whole series in that amount of time. Then again, that assumes that she cares about her bookseries when she most likely only cares about success and doesn't really have any particular passion about these books.

Ninon42

Spooky Christmas goat
kiwifarms.net
More pre-release publicity for book 2:
LE_TotD_hopepunk.png

And the article itself (which I can't archive bc archive.md is giving a 403, anyone rec an alternative?) with the relevant bit in pic:
LE_PW_hopepunk.png

Seems a bit shoehorned in IMO, but I don't speak marketing. It also says virtually nothing about the book besides that it exists. A follower and masochist who already read the book disagrees with the hope- part of the silly name.
LE_TotD_hopepunk_rebuttal.png

Sorry, milk is a bit sparse from the cow lately.

CisnaHet Scumale

kiwifarms.net
Gay

What's the point of aliens if your just going to focus on humans; something that you could do in literally any other genre.

Corn Flakes

Kellogg's Brain Candy
kiwifarms.net
Gay

What's the point of aliens if your just going to focus on humans; something that you could do in literally any other genre.
Same reason why the zombie genre is 90% humans being assholes to one another. It's never about the aliens/zombies/vampires/ninjas, it's about writers trying to make broad points about humanity.

CisnaHet Scumale

kiwifarms.net
Same reason why the zombie genre is 90% humans being assholes to one another. It's never about the aliens/zombies/vampires/ninjas, it's about writers trying to make broad points about humanity.
You can still soapbox about human shit but still focus on aliens and whatever. And zombies are almost always portrayed as mindless so no one cares about what they think. Just goes to show why almost all art is garbage and derivative. Nostalgia Chick her type will always fall on this category.