TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Common Shadow

kiwifarms.net
From what I've heard, her book seems like a gayer, shittier version of the movie Arrival. I suggest to anyone to check out the movie over her book.
I'd rather watch a rushed SyFy original or any movie on MST3K without the funny commentary than read one paragraph of her barely-worthy-of-being-used-as-toilet-paper novel.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Trannies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought about giving her books a try but I'll admit that "durr how do you even define a person in the first place?" was such a dumb line it turned me off. "[T]he two must work together to prove to a fearful world that intelligent, conscious beings should be considered persons, no matter how monstrous-looking, powerful, or malicious they may seem." Humanity has tread over this a lot, from legally, philosophically, and biologically. We even have debates about intelligent animals being considered nonhuman persons. Maybe the book approaches it with more grace, but the blurb makes it sound like nobody had ever thought about what a person is until aliens showed up. Or that it'll be any difficult for aliens to be considered people. Especially if they can communicate in a human language. Do the aliens use English in there?
With the blurbs you give for this book and the other, there are some really interesting ways to interpret them:

"[T]he two must work together to prove to a fearful world that intelligent, conscious beings should be considered persons, no matter how monstrous-looking, powerful, or malicious they may seem."

Just imagine this is a metaphor for troons being accepted as their chosen sex, no matter how horribly bad they pass or how monstrous some caveman in a dress looks like.

Strictly as a reader, the first book fails to catch my eye beccause of this: "[A]n extraterrestrial presence has been on Earth for decades. Realizing the extent to which both she and the public have been lied to, she sets out to gather as much information as she can and finds that the best way for her to uncover the truth is not as a whistleblower, but as an intermediary. The alien presence has been completely uncommunicative until she convinces one of them that she can act as their interpreter, becoming the first and only human vessel of communication."
Again, you could make this about white women inserting themselves into some social issue about gender, race or whatever, even though they are not actually involved or affected.
"I may not be black, but I know the negro man's struggle for I am a white oppressed woman and I feel his pain. Let me be his interpreter and mediator, cause truly, the black man can not be expected to do it himself!"

It's white middle class women making any social issue about themselves, forcing their way into some sort of special role and while pretending to only have the minority's best interest at heart and nothing but warm support for them, their rhetoric is insanely patronising and outright contemptful. There's always this "sexism/racism of low expectations", treating minorities like they have no agency of their own and need a white middle class woman to tell them what their problems actually are and how to solve them - of course, by no action of their own, just by letting the white middle class woman take over on your behalf.

I'd rather watch a rushed SyFy original or any movie on MST3K without the funny commentary than read one paragraph of her barely-worthy-of-being-used-as-toilet-paper novel.
I'd rather watch Knights of Bloodsteel and Frankenfish than read a chapter of Ellis' books.

Dwight Frye

I’ve been very…naughty
kiwifarms.net
With the blurbs you give for this book and the other, there are some really interesting ways to interpret them:

"[T]he two must work together to prove to a fearful world that intelligent, conscious beings should be considered persons, no matter how monstrous-looking, powerful, or malicious they may seem."

Just imagine this is a metaphor for troons being accepted as their chosen sex, no matter how horribly bad they pass or how monstrous some caveman in a dress looks like.

Again, you could make this about white women inserting themselves into some social issue about gender, race or whatever, even though they are not actually involved or affected.
"I may not be black, but I know the negro man's struggle for I am a white oppressed woman and I feel his pain. Let me be his interpreter and mediator, cause truly, the black man can not be expected to do it himself!"

It's white middle class women making any social issue about themselves, forcing their way into some sort of special role and while pretending to only have the minority's best interest at heart and nothing but warm support for them, their rhetoric is insanely patronising and outright contemptful. There's always this "sexism/racism of low expectations", treating minorities like they have no agency of their own and need a white middle class woman to tell them what their problems actually are and how to solve them - of course, by no action of their own, just by letting the white middle class woman take over on your behalf.

I'd rather watch Knights of Bloodsteel and Frankenfish than read a chapter of Ellis' books.
Your post just reminded me of this old drawing. Lindsay in a nutshell

5F7B8A17-73C5-42C2-9D64-8C5F2529CE78.jpeg

JJLiautaud

The Sandwich Guy
kiwifarms.net
Poor Terry Brooks. I have no clue who he is, but he has to share shelf space with a talentless hack in Lindsay.
He writes good if a little generic fantasy, but don't feel too bad for him he's sold over 25 million books over his career is highly prolific and is considered to be a pretty cool dude

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
I thought about giving her books a try but I'll admit that "durr how do you even define a person in the first place?" was such a dumb line it turned me off. "[T]he two must work together to prove to a fearful world that intelligent, conscious beings should be considered persons, no matter how monstrous-looking, powerful, or malicious they may seem." Humanity has tread over this a lot, from legally, philosophically, and biologically. We even have debates about intelligent animals being considered nonhuman persons. Maybe the book approaches it with more grace, but the blurb makes it sound like nobody had ever thought about what a person is until aliens showed up. Or that it'll be any difficult for aliens to be considered people. Especially if they can communicate in a human language. Do the aliens use English in there?

Strictly as a reader, the first book fails to catch my eye beccause of this: "[A]n extraterrestrial presence has been on Earth for decades. Realizing the extent to which both she and the public have been lied to, she sets out to gather as much information as she can and finds that the best way for her to uncover the truth is not as a whistleblower, but as an intermediary. The alien presence has been completely uncommunicative until she convinces one of them that she can act as their interpreter, becoming the first and only human vessel of communication."

So it sounds like other people have been dealing with aliens, but as soon as the main character finds out she inserts herself into the mess and decides she's the best for the job? How can she even act as their interpreter? These are not questions that are intriguing me, these are questions that are turning me off from the book because the story sounds dumb. Query letter, synopsis, and back of the cover blurb: These are supposed to be the most exciting ways an author explains their book. Because this is how readers are supposed to be hooked in and wish to know more (by buying and reading to find out). Lindsay's blurbs are rather bland and even if I knew nothing about her, I'd pass on these.

If I go browsing along Amazon's self-published books the sci-fi market is just teeming with authors and I bet in 10 minutes I could find several that at least sound like a better way to spend my money than Lindsay's books. GoodReads even has a list of First Contact books that won't take much time to pick apart and find something enjoyable.

The big problem with Lindsay is that she's still stuck in her College Academia days, still thinking that what she learned in college counts for real life, when in reality, it doesn't matter what some danger-hair professor taught you, so long as you're good at your job or you keep people entertained. That's why her books sound more like a college thesis paper than a story to be told to the average man. Which probably explains why the normies don't really consider her work to be good reading material.

I once bought a Star Wars novel about Darth Vader called Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader. It starts off around the time of Order 66 and its aftermath, with the titular character donning his iconic suit, a short while after Obi-Wan lopped off his limbs and he got roasted like a hot dog on the lava rivers of Mustafar. After the first few chapters that deal with Order 66, the novel describes Vader's life after Revenge of the Sith, with him being depressed, he's uncomfortable with the suit, he's not happy with his lot in life, he feels like a loser, he tends to blame others for his mistakes, and the only thing that gives him a feeling of companionship are the clone soldiers who served with him during the Clone Wars and the sacking of the Jedi Temple.

The book gets into the main character's mind and paints a picture of what it's like to be him, right after he put the suit on. It shows the kind of life he has, and why he feels or acts the way he does throughout the novel. It doesn't throw college philosophy in your face right off the bat. You bought a book about Darth Vader right after Mustafar, and they start off with Darth Vader putting on his suit and getting to work, and all the crap he has to get through every day. It doesn't go into deep philosophical tirades about why you should treat every alien as if they're people, it just shows you the perspective of a person after he suffered a tragedy, and how he copes with it and gets on with his life.

Later on in the book, yes, they have a few discussions on power politics and the religious differences between Jedi and Sith, but that's after most of the action in the book has already begun. The book's main purpose is to tell a story, not prosletyze a thesis, and that's why they hook you in with how life was like during and after Order 66, and what Vader's life was like right after the Prequels. Which is why the book turned out to sell moderately well, and is a decent, well-done story in the SW universe.

Lindsay seems to tackle writing a novel the same way as if she was writing a thesis, by basically telling you whose side you should be on, and what you should think. That this person trying to get aliens and humans to understand each other is automatically true and right. That might work in Disney cartoons, but in an adult novel, it doesn't always translate well. And even still, the Disney cartoon "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" handled this better with the episode "Strange Invasion", where our goofball heroes land on a planet where the people are backwards and xenophobic, and they manage to get away with help from some sympathetic locals who see them as people instead of just some threat that should be automatically killed. Instead of preaching that aliens should be treated as persons, they SHOW YOU aliens that are just good people, who happened to land on a planet where the people are suspicious of them.

Look at this episode and compare that to Lindsay's book. Not only does it get across the same theme in a more efficient and relatable way, it also gets said theme across in a shorter timeframe.

Ninon42

kiwifarms.net
It has been established that Lindsay learned nothing from her self-cancellation. Her fans also did not learn anything.
In response to a simp posting they think Lindsay's laugh is adorable (a questionable take to be sure, but simps gonna simp), a wild wokescold approaches!
LE_fan1.png

She's a known troonbait but damn, even her woman fans need to dilate in between coping and seething. And share online about how Lindsay's characters and their stress-induced twat tightness make she/her feel seen and valid.
LE_fan2.png

White cis guys are responsible for all the bad things ever
LE_fan3.png

And quite a few people on Twitter are using her as an example of cancellation to the point her name is used as a verb for quitting.
LE_fan4.png

Very little self-reflection and the few who do start to break through the woke conditioning are immediately shouted down, like the book sales post on Reddit which was removed. The followers of Lindsay's cult of personality are the worst and she deliberately cultivated them to be like this.

Last edited:

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
It has been established that Lindsay learned nothing from her self-cancellation. Her fans also did not learn anything.
In response to a simp posting they think Lindsay's laugh is adorable (a questionable take to be sure, but simps gonna simp), a wild wokescold approaches!
View attachment 2890488
She's a known troonbait but damn, even her woman fans need to dilate in between coping and seething. And share online about how Lindsay's characters and their stress-induced twat tightness make she/her feel seen and valid.
View attachment 2890492
View attachment 2890495
And quite a few people on Twitter are using her as an example of cancellation to the point her name is used as a verb for quitting.
View attachment 2890497
Very little self-reflection and the few who do start to break through the woke conditioning are immediately shouted down, like the book sales post on Reddit which was removed. The followers of Lindsay's cult of personality are the worst and she deliberately cultivated them to be like this.
Those are basically her loyalists. The ones who will never budge. They didn't learn from the fact that most of the people who hate their idol now are just as woke as they are.

I never got why people see her like that. I mean, during her NC days, she made jokes and was a tad bit funny, but she wasn't that funny, and at times, I felt that her points were rather forced, even during her glory days as the Nostalgia Chick. Now, she's just another politically-correct person on the internet, and she's not even the best one. She tried to fill a demand that isn't really running short on supply, but with a crowd that's just looking for a scapegoat of the day to attack. Then she gets surprised when a slip of the tongue lands her in the hot seat, when the crowd she's been preaching to is just looking for any reason to burn someone.

I wonder what Anita Sarkeesian thinks of her former comrade. Would she still stick up for Lindsay, or join the chorus of detractors and condemn her?

She probably wanted a big blockbuster she could direct herself and show the world that she was superior to Ryan Coogler and Doug Walker.
That's impossible. She's nowhere near Doug's level of entertainment expertise, and Doug isn't necessarily the best to begin with, he's just consistent with his work.

pylosurf

Hang ten, Hoplite!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From what I've heard, her book seems like a gayer, shittier version of the movie Arrival. I suggest to anyone to check out the movie over her book.
For readers, Arrival was based on the novella "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang, which is superior in every way to Lindsay's book.

UzumakiLeaf

kiwifarms.net
Those are basically her loyalists. The ones who will never budge. They didn't learn from the fact that most of the people who hate their idol now are just as woke as they are.

I never got why people see her like that. I mean, during her NC days, she made jokes and was a tad bit funny, but she wasn't that funny, and at times, I felt that her points were rather forced, even during her glory days as the Nostalgia Chick. Now, she's just another politically-correct person on the internet, and she's not even the best one. She tried to fill a demand that isn't really running short on supply, but with a crowd that's just looking for a scapegoat of the day to attack. Then she gets surprised when a slip of the tongue lands her in the hot seat, when the crowd she's been preaching to is just looking for any reason to burn someone.

I wonder what Anita Sarkeesian thinks of her former comrade. Would she still stick up for Lindsay, or join the chorus of detractors and condemn her?

That's impossible. She's nowhere near Doug's level of entertainment expertise, and Doug isn't necessarily the best to begin with, he's just consistent with his work.
If Anita has spare political capital she is more likely to stand up for an and up and coming woke 20 something feminist rather than a middle aged wine aunt. At least the up and coming feminist might feel some loyalty to the old guard who helped her and has more potential to rise through the ranks. What does Lindsay have to offer in comparison?

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
If Anita has spare political capital she is more likely to stand up for an and up and coming woke 20 something feminist rather than a middle aged wine aunt. At least the up and coming feminist might feel some loyalty to the old guard who helped her and has more potential to rise through the ranks. What does Lindsay have to offer in comparison?
A small and dwindling crowd, and an SJW who lost her political capital. I suppose there's no reason why Anita would stand up for Lindsay.

Although it could lead to Anita getting tarred and feathered by other SJWs, due to guilt by association, perhaps?

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
A small and dwindling crowd, and an SJW who lost her political capital. I suppose there's no reason why Anita would stand up for Lindsay.

Although it could lead to Anita getting tarred and feathered by other SJWs, due to guilt by association, perhaps?
It wouldn't surprise me if Lindsay was the one who cut off contact considering Anita's brand took a nosedive pretty quickly, while Lindsay was still doing well.

At this point, despite being cancelled, Lindsay is still so far above Anita that Anita would get more out of an alliance than the other way around.

Common Shadow

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2890488
View attachment 2890492
View attachment 2890495
View attachment 2890497
I like to think of a lot of all this misguided type of online mental illness e-celeb worship started with good ol' Spoons. When he left/got kicked out, these pathetic lost fans followed their idol and created some sick bubble cult splintering from TGWTG. The rest that followed other creators like Lindsay either became dangerous attacking other creators in order to preserve their idol or so warped in a devoted delusion that nothing their saviors could do would be seen as their fault; it is clearly "haters" and the world that just don't understand.

Last edited:

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
I like to think of a lot of all this misguided type of online mental illness e-celeb worship started with good ol' Spoons. When he left/got kicked out, these pathetic lost fans followed their idol and created some sick bubble cult splintering from TGWTG. The rest that followed other creators like Lindsay either became dangerous attacking other creators in order to preserve their idol or so warped in a devoted delusion that nothing their saviors could do would be seen as their fault; it is clearly "haters" and the world that just don't understand.
It may have started with Spoony, but Lindsay and Chez Apocalypse did so much more with it.