TGWTG Nostalgia Chick / Lindsay Ellis / TheDudette - aka Hotdogs in face girl

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Water-T

Royal Black is a fat ugly child molesting cunt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lindsay will be at VidCon June 23-24. Will she announce book 3 to the public? Probably. It should be interesting to see if anything comes of her public appearance (hopefully not a pregnancy announcement). And for posterity:
View attachment 3415778
I just want to see how blotchy and bloated she's gotten since she hid away from Twitter and behind a bottle. :story:

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
Lindsay will be at VidCon June 23-24. Will she announce book 3 to the public? Probably. It should be interesting to see if anything comes of her public appearance (hopefully not a pregnancy announcement). And for posterity:
View attachment 3415778
She might announce her big comeback special, declaring that the haters and diet nazis could never keep her silenced. But in reality, we know she's returning to youtube because she can't do anything else.

Trig.Point

I wouldn't start from here.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
- they are not required to give it another dime of advertising or marketing.
In fairness I don't think they spend that much on marketing the first two books... or editing them for that matter (lol remember when Ellis tweeted her pride that the editor didn't reccomend any changes)

If you look at the listings on Amazon, you'll see short reviews from Hank Green or the fucking UK Morning Star... Those are there because of Ellis not becaue the publisher thought to send a review copy of the book to the UK's premier Marxist Leninst Paper.

I suspect the publishers made a profit on the Book, while Ellis made far less than minimum wage.

Dox Savage

Anonymous Whistleblower
kiwifarms.net
Linkara breathed heavily before answering. "Welp, spoony old boy, I've heard some talk around town that your son is now your daughter. I've been thinking about babysitting, you know, to see her develop into a fine young lass and to make sure she knows how to use that dilator properly. Ever since I was with that rusty Liz I can consider myself a bit of an expert in that department."
No no, Linkara was with Iron Liz pre-op. That's the way he likes it. He IS The Nasty Cockslut after all.

Attachments

• jay-and-silent-bob-record.gif
    jay-and-silent-bob-record.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 41

LecherousGranolaBar

kiwifarms.net
My mind is so warped that whenever I hear the name 'Linkara' my mind goes to all the impressions Chris O'Neil has done of him on Oneyplays and I crack a big smile and giggle to myself.
tbf that's the only thing that's made Linkara relevant at all in the past 5 years or so. Shame he threw a tantrum about them instead of having a laugh. Would've helped him look more appetizing to people.

Shit, every time Oney even references something the NC does or has done, a bunch of OP fans immediately head to said video to watch it. shit, CA is even starting to reply to Oneys various tweets about them. Crazy how Doug has had this huge redemption (Even if his reviews are stupid) in peoples eyes simply because he's not a totally maladjusted weirdo like Linkara.

Can't wait for Doug to show up on an Oney Plays for the shits and gigs.

Faggitory

The dickhead really put on a "kid diddler" hat!
kiwifarms.net
tbf that's the only thing that's made Linkara relevant at all in the past 5 years or so. Shame he threw a tantrum about them instead of having a laugh. Would've helped him look more appetizing to people.

Shit, every time Oney even references something the NC does or has done, a bunch of OP fans immediately head to said video to watch it. shit, CA is even starting to reply to Oneys various tweets about them. Crazy how Doug has had this huge redemption (Even if his reviews are stupid) in peoples eyes simply because he's not a totally maladjusted weirdo like Linkara.

I've always found Doug's ability to remain likeable uncanny. He's a failure in almost every regard, yet I have absolutely no negative feeling towards him. I hate other lolcows or E-reviewers for much less than Doug has done, yet I'd easily have him on my channel if I was a youtuber.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
I've always found Doug's ability to remain likeable uncanny. He's a failure in almost every regard, yet I have absolutely no negative feeling towards him. I hate other lolcows or E-reviewers for much less than Doug has done, yet I'd easily have him on my channel if I was a youtuber.
That’s what happens when someone is surrounded by colleagues and haters that manage to make someone look worse. Never forget 2018.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 3415778

One hopes some brave soul films her panels.

Could use a laugh.

Did anyone ever leak her last few Patreon posts?

She might announce her big comeback special, declaring that the haters and diet nazis could never keep her silenced. But in reality, we know she's returning to youtube because she can't do anything else.

I wonder if she'll even return to YouTube. She's still getting more money for doing nothing than she was getting for her videos.

In fairness I don't think they spend that much on marketing the first two books... or editing them for that matter (lol remember when Ellis tweeted her pride that the editor didn't reccomend any changes)

If you look at the listings on Amazon, you'll see short reviews from Hank Green or the fucking UK Morning Star... Those are there because of Ellis not becaue the publisher thought to send a review copy of the book to the UK's premier Marxist Leninst Paper.

I suspect the publishers made a profit on the Book, while Ellis made far less than minimum wage.

That's actually not true - we do know St. Martin's Press dumped a ton of advertising and marketing behind the first book. It was one of thier 2020 tentpoles even.

Toss in that, while the only circulation numbers I have been able to pull are unconfirmed, around 200k, every bookstore I have been in since release has 5-6 copies... or they did before they started going to wholesalers and clearance bins.

Hell, that NYT article I linked to previously? Where the editor of St. Martin's Press describes what a mistake it was to bank on social media stars and YouTubers to sell books? That dropped the same month as Ellis' second book flopped entirely? She isn't mentioned by name, but every indication points to the publisher taking an absolute bath on her books.

Hell, one inside bit of baseball with what happened at St. Martin's Press I do know more about now? That a large chunk of thier spec fiction authors are fleeing the publisher in droves - my publisher just signed a couple, I know Baen just signed two in the past couple of weeks, and one signed with Titan last week.

You know why? Because apparently St. Martin's bet the farm on two big books, pulling marketing from damn near all other titles to make it happen.

Those books? Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff, and Axioms End by Lindsay Ellis. Both got massive print runs, huge marketing blitzes, and both went down in flames. The publisher rolled the dice and came up snake eyes.

As a result, a ton of longtime authors with St. Martin's are pissed, and either leaving or trying to leave the publisher.

How's that for a literary legacy for Lindsay Ellis? Its entirely possible she sucks so bad, that she had a hand in crippling her publisher.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
One hopes some brave soul films her panels.

Could use a laugh.

I wonder if she'll even return to YouTube. She's still getting more money for doing nothing than she was getting for her videos.

That's actually not true - we do know St. Martin's Press dumped a ton of advertising and marketing behind the first book. It was one of thier 2020 tentpoles even.

Toss in that, while the only circulation numbers I have been able to pull are unconfirmed, around 200k, every bookstore I have been in since release has 5-6 copies... or they did before they started going to wholesalers and clearance bins.

Hell, that NYT article I linked to previously? Where the editor of St. Martin's Press describes what a mistake it was to bank on social media stars and YouTubers to sell books? That dropped the same month as Ellis' second book flopped entirely? She isn't mentioned by name, but every indication points to the publisher taking an absolute bath on her books.

Hell, one inside bit of baseball with what happened at St. Martin's Press I do know more about now? That a large chunk of thier spec fiction authors are fleeing the publisher in droves - my publisher just signed a couple, I know Baen just signed two in the past couple of weeks, and one signed with Titan last week.

You know why? Because apparently St. Martin's bet the farm on two big books, pulling marketing from damn near all other titles to make it happen.

Those books? Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff, and Axioms End by Lindsay Ellis. Both got massive print runs, huge marketing blitzes, and both went down in flames. The publisher rolled the dice and came up snake eyes.

As a result, a ton of longtime authors with St. Martin's are pissed, and either leaving or trying to leave the publisher.

How's that for a literary legacy for Lindsay Ellis? Its entirely possible she sucks so bad, that she had a hand in crippling her publisher.
And if that leads to a financial black hole, that’s just another layer of pain.

Erwin Rotten

kiwifarms.net

"Don't talk about me, you son of a bitch!"

I remember a video where someone compared the Chris-Chan reaction to Linkara's when it came to Oney jokes and I found it hilarious that even Chris-Chan was able to laugh along and understand that it was all done in good fun by a goofy Irish giant with a passion for cartoons and silly voices.

It must be terrible for both Linkara and Lindsay to realize that they are more socially inept than Chris-Chan of all people. I kind of hope Oney does a gag on Lindsay eventually but the most he's done is just make fun of things like Linkara's rape scene or how she was the Nostalgia Chick. They were more about Doug being whacky than Lindsay.

Sometimes I feel like Oney's friend Zach will randomly talk about Axiom's End whenever an alien gets mentioned.

a large chunk of thier spec fiction authors are fleeing the publisher in droves -

I do enjoy it when publishers who try to play the woke game go broke, but it does suck for the poor saps who trusted such a garbage press with their projects. It's not their fault, they didn't know the company was going to go full retard, and I hope their books find a better home, preferably indie since that's ironically the best way for them to save themselves in today's cancel culture.

You can't get fired if you're the boss.

I swear the name Jay Kristoff seems familiar but I know nothing about their book. Kind of makes me want to do a review of it though if it's attached to the axiom's end tragedy. Empire of the Vampire seems like the perfect setup for a terrible game of thrones knockoff that tries to copy the gory exploitation medieval setting and nothing else.

Weird that the reviews seem promising. I guess it sold well but nowhere near what it cost in marketing?

Ninon42

kiwifarms.net
Not that I found, unfortunately. Her subreddit has gotten quite cagey about posting those screenshots because nasty people (us) have this bad habit of reading Lindsay's own words and interpreting them through a non-simp lens.
Not exactly; a big chunk of her money was from sponsorships. Even at a low rate and view count of say $0.035 and 1M views within a month, that's $35000 before agent fees and taxes. Assuming production of 1 video per month, that was $420k/yr plus Patreon and ad revenue, before taxes and fees. Since leaving YouTube, her views are very low so ad revenue wouldn't be much.
LE_SB1_2362022.png
There'll be a lot of industry bigwigs at VidCon so if she really wanted to hustle, she could no doubt make some opportunities happen but the drive seems to have been knocked out of her. It's not lack of funding, connections or access that have stymied her but her own ability to handle the pressure. Freelancing as a behind the scenes video editor for the Kardashians (which will never not be hilarious to me) is comparatively low stress compared to running a personality cult brand.

Hall of Cost Payer

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 3415778
Amazing.

That VidCon introduction is great: They list "science fiction author" as her profession before "video essayist". Also the description is in present tense as if she still created YoutUbe videos or the It's Lit Podcast.

And on marketing her books: Apart from St. Martin's efforts marketing her books, Lindsay made a bunch of videos on her channel: "How to get a book deal in ten years or less", "The Bookening", "Axiom's End Q&A" and after the fact, maybe to boost sales "9 things I wish I knew before publishing my first novel". These videos didn't make the best clicks, but we'd have to consider them advertising on a 1 million subscriber channel. For her second book she didn't do as much or didn't keep up the interest, and for her third book she doesn't even do that level of marketing.

Open Window Maniac

kiwifarms.net
"Don't talk about me, you son of a bitch!"

I remember a video where someone compared the Chris-Chan reaction to Linkara's when it came to Oney jokes and I found it hilarious that even Chris-Chan was able to laugh along and understand that it was all done in good fun by a goofy Irish giant with a passion for cartoons and silly voices.

It must be terrible for both Linkara and Lindsay to realize that they are more socially inept than Chris-Chan of all people. I kind of hope Oney does a gag on Lindsay eventually but the most he's done is just make fun of things like Linkara's rape scene or how she was the Nostalgia Chick. They were more about Doug being whacky than Lindsay.

Sometimes I feel like Oney's friend Zach will randomly talk about Axiom's End whenever an alien gets mentioned.
To my knowledge they've mentioned Lindsay three times: once during the Kingdom Hearts LP in which Julian told Oney Lindsay used Doug as inspiration on how not to make videos, once during their AI Dungeon LP in which they go into Kickassia after watching the Nostlgia Chick's Fern Gully review, and I forgot they game they were playing, but they talked about when Lindsay told Moviebob in no uncertain terms to piss off.

Last edited:

Salubrious

Feelin' Healthy
kiwifarms.net
I've said this in his own thread, but the smartest thing Doug has ever done was have ZERO social media presence outside of posting his videos.

And as someone in his thread just mentioned, Doug never even gave a "sorry, please don't cancel me" groveling apology when #ChangetheChannel happened. He just ignored it and moved the fuck on; even several years before Dave Chappelle did the same thing. I never even made that connection that Doug never apologied for anything, but it makes sense in hindsight. Doug "won" all the #ChangetheChannel battles by simply doing nothing and letting everyone else sperg the fuck out around him.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
I swear the name Jay Kristoff seems familiar but I know nothing about their book. Kind of makes me want to do a review of it though if it's attached to the axiom's end tragedy. Empire of the Vampire seems like the perfect setup for a terrible game of thrones knockoff that tries to copy the gory exploitation medieval setting and nothing else.

Weird that the reviews seem promising. I guess it sold well but nowhere near what it cost in marketing?
I read Kristoff's Nevernight trilogy which was okay but had a few repetition issues. I appreciated that it was based on Italy instead of Britain like so many fantasy books, though the concept of a world in which it's only ever truly night time once every three years was never really used. It's grimdark and has some references to a political game, but that's never something the main character (A teenage girl assassin) never gets all that involved with.

From the blurb I looked up, it seems like a similar thing, except this world has been taken over by vampires after a three decade war. But in this case, it's about a character imprisoned by vampires who tells his story... Which is not a framing device I'm fond of typically. I don't think it'll have that Game of Thrones style political drama but it will likely have the violence and sex.

grapeshark77

kiwifarms.net
I've said this in his own thread, but the smartest thing Doug has ever done was have ZERO social media presence outside of posting his videos.

And as someone in his thread just mentioned, Doug never even gave a "sorry, please don't cancel me" groveling apology when #ChangetheChannel happened. He just ignored it and moved the fuck on; even several years before Dave Chappelle did the same thing. I never even made that connection that Doug never apologied for anything, but it makes sense in hindsight. Doug "won" all the #ChangetheChannel battles by simply doing nothing and letting everyone else sperg the fuck out around him.
Doug (and whoever's still at CA) stream on Twitch multiple days a week too - he's better at adapting to current trends than any of these other people.

Jenny Nicholson was trending on Twitter yesterday because she actually released a video so I looked up her Patreon - she does a monthly "ramble" with minimal editing and people on there seem happy. Lindsay can't even be bothered to do that and it would prevent her Patreon from plummeting on the first of the month, getting a few new subs, then plummeting again.

Ninon42

kiwifarms.net
Lindsay totally left YouTube because she magnanimously thought it was other BIPOC LGBTQIA2SP++++ folxxx turn to shine, not because she cracked like an egg. Some cope: (link/archive)
LE_VidCon_Cope1.png
YouTubers Jarvis Johnson, Eddy Burback, and Jenny Nicholson joined TikToker Michael (HePetty) and former YouTuber Lindsay Ellis on a panel moderated by journalist Mara Schiavocampo. The group discussed evolving audience behavior, conceptualizing content, mental health, and advice for aspiring creators.

With everyone stuck at home at the start of the pandemic, there was nothing to do but watch content and connect through phone screens. Ellis, who quit YouTube last December, said that this made social media more lucrative—but made audiences more toxic.

“Nobody had anything to do and everyone was just trapped in front of their social media,” she said during the panel. “So I think the reactions from audiences got more emotional or intense.”

Ellis also clarified that she wasn’t “chased off” of social media during this time, alluding to the controversy surrounding her exit from YouTube. Rather, she was tired of withstanding perpetual online abuse, which she said “never stops” even after 14 years of being a creator, and that she ran out of things to say.

“I felt like there were people who were doing more interesting things than me, and I kind of had my time in the spotlight in this in this particular niche,” she said, later saying, “After [doing] something for so long, I kind of felt like I need to know when to quit.”

It is believable that she ran out of things to say and questionable if anything she said was worth saying in the first place. Yesterday's panel audience was not packed.

LE_VidCon1.jpg