TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

Inigo

kiwifarms.net
Let's be real here. The new Chicago crew (Walter and them) are considerably less autistic than the original group. Personally I think them a massive improvement.

To be honest I think the real death knell for the group as a whole was the death of Blip. Without that partnership, everyone had to migrate to YouTube and suddenly TGTWG wasn't as tight knit as it once was.

I expect Doug to continue expanding the Chicago crew with new (Relatively normal) people who will eventually take over for him once he retires.

PeckingOrder

I don't believe my own hype
kiwifarms.net
I expect Doug to continue expanding the Chicago crew with new (Relatively normal) people who will eventually take over for him once he retires.
Oh lord, will he do another ridiculous send off to the Nostalgia Critic when that happens? It might be more pathetic than the one from To Boldly Flee.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
Oh lord, will he do another ridiculous send off to the Nostalgia Critic when that happens? It might be more pathetic than the one from To Boldly Flee.
If it weren't for the Demo Reel finale (in which the Nostalgia Critic is brought back under the guise of Doug being inspired to do so after watching the nearly forgotten The Odd Life of Timothy Green), To Boldly Flee is the most annoyingly self indulgent bullshit to bear the Channel Awesome logo. And the fact that they almost immediately brought back the old show makes it ring more hollow than Jay Leno's last Tonight Show in 2009.

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If it weren't for the Demo Reel finale (in which the Nostalgia Critic is brought back under the guise of Doug being inspired to do so after watching the nearly forgotten The Odd Life of Timothy Green), To Boldly Flee is the most annoyingly self indulgent bullshit to bear the Channel Awesome logo. And the fact that they almost immediately brought back the old show makes it ring more hollow than Jay Leno's last Tonight Show in 2009.
To make it truly complete he needs to give Walter the website, then change his mind and take it back.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
Honestly it's still amazing to see how many people leeeched off Doug's style back when the reviewer bubble on Youtube prioritized angry screaming. Thank Christ the pendulum shifted mostly more over to analysis stuff like Raycevick and Mandalore Gaming.
It wasn't just Doug's style the AVGN also did it and as did Armake21.

Something not a lot of people remember is back when the AVGN and Nostalgia Critic were huge. Most youtube videos were just some random dude talking monotone into a camera barely reacting to what was happening. Most youtube videos were like this. Just very dull people talking very bored into their cameras. It's why creators like the AVGN stood out at the time.

Times have drastically changed though now huge creators do stuff on youtube and create projects that cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce and put it on Youtube. Their skits which were novelties for the time are seen as low effort and uninteresting now. The Nostalgia Critic especially was never that big into analysis of the work he was talking about, he was more interested in trying to be a comedy writer. Which is why he started to dip underneath later creators like Red Letter Media because they focused much more on critical analysis of the work rather than making awkward obvious jokes at the material like Mystery Science Theater 3000. Doug has failed to adapt to the new market and he's now bleeding old fans rather than gaining new ones.

Last edited:

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
Oh boy, another totally unnescisarry critical review

What is it with people like Doug and DSP plastering their ugly mugs over everything?
Believe it or not having consistent thumbnails for your videos improves your video metrics. Having a consistent upload schedule and theme to your videos in general improves your video metrics. It's done by design so people immediately know a Nostalgia Critic video when they see one.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I mean the X-Men series is worth tackling, at least as a whole, mainly because the quality of the films have been all over the place. They've ranged from great to okay to downright terrible and it feels like you never know what you're going to get. I can't think of another series that jumps around in quality from entry to entry like this one does.

But something tells me Doug's reviews are just an excuse for him and his crew to have an X-Men Halloween Party.

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
It's just an excuse for him to continue fellating the X-Men animated series and be all "WAH WAH THIS ISN'T LIKE THE MCU!"

It's thanks to people like him poo-pooing the early Marvel films that the MCU went and changed everything about Spiderman. And knowing them, they'll probably do the same thing for X-Men and turn them into something different...While at the same time appealing to SJWs (although X-Men leads itself for Social Justice reinterpretation better than Spiderman Imo).

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino