TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

Hank Salagna

I eat your babies bietch
kiwifarms.net
It's just an excuse for him to continue fellating the X-Men animated series and be all "WAH WAH THIS ISN'T LIKE THE MCU!"

It's thanks to people like him poo-pooing the early Marvel films that the MCU went and changed everything about Spiderman. And knowing them, they'll probably do the same thing for X-Men and turn them into something different...While at the same time appealing to SJWs (although X-Men leads itself for Social Justice reinterpretation better than Spiderman Imo).
I'm sorry but just because Doug is an untalented hack doesn't mean those Sam Raimi Spiderman movies are good. People have put them in a pedestal over the years and they have not aged well imo. Yes they have good things to them and are sure as shit better than the Marc Webb ones, but I always thought Tobey Maguire was just terrible as Peter Parker, the romance and everything involving Mary Jane was eye-rollingly awful, and many of the plot points were beyond ridiculous.

And before you call me an MCU fanboy, no I didn't like Homecoming either. Into the Spider-Verse is the first Spiderman film that I genuinely considered to be great.

Last edited:

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
I'm not saying they're great, either, but I do feel thanks to people like him just crapping on all previous Spiderman films (including the Webb films) that's why the MCU went and changed everything about Spiderman as to make it "cool" for the kids and cynical fans. And it's annoying because original Spiderman stuff, from the comics, is fun, but until Spiderverse it has never been properly adapted into movies well.

Honestly, who the hell out there genuinely likes annoying black Daria MJ, Aunt Sexpot, and Iron Fanboy...I'll take it badly done in the Raimi films or the Webb ones over massively changing everything I liked about the franchise in the first place like it was done in the MCU.

Lurk Jurk

kiwifarms.net
And before you call me an MCU fanboy, no I didn't like Homecoming either. Into the Spider-Verse is the first Spiderman film that I genuinely considered to be great.
Spider-Verse is great because you actually have the characters as they're supposed to be. Unlike Homecoming and MCU where they just transposed Miles Morales' personality and basic premise onto Peter Parker because... I dunno we had six Peter Parker movies but you gotta have that sweet safe brand recognition I guess.

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
Spider-Verse is great because you actually have the characters as they're supposed to be. Unlike Homecoming and MCU where they just transposed Miles Morales' personality and basic premise onto Peter Parker because... I dunno we had six Peter Parker movies but you gotta have that sweet safe brand recognition I guess.
How is MCU Peter like Miles, he seemed pretty consistent to other Peters to me?

Lurk Jurk

kiwifarms.net
He's much younger than Peter usually is, he's got the best friend character who knows he's Spider-Man, you could argue the personality is still more Peter but still. When he showed up in Civil War I wondered why they didn't just go with Miles if he was gonna be a kid.

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
When he showed up in Civil War I wondered why they didn't just go with Miles if he was gonna be a kid.
I usually roll my eyes when people say this, but it could be because Miles is black?

ETA - didn't the leaked Sony memo a few years back say that when they allowed the MCU to make Spider-man, the "main" Spidey had to be white and not gay?

• Horrifying
Reactions: Kinkshamer

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
Goes to an advanced science School, his best friend is pretty much Miles' friend Ganke from the comics (he looks the same), and the idea of him being young and needing a role model is emphasized. Usually Peter in the comics and good adaptations is pretty independent and tends to rely more on himself than on other heroes to do his work.

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
Goes to an advanced science School, his best friend is pretty much Miles' friend Ganke from the comics (he looks the same), and the idea of him being young and needing a role model is emphasized. Usually Peter in the comics and good adaptations is pretty independent and tends to rely more on himself than on other heroes to do his work.
I dunno, I didn't mind it too much. I think it works in the context of the MCU's ensemble nature and let's be honest, if they actually made him Miles Morales most normies would've just gone "wait I thought Spider-man was Peter Parker..." and it would be confusing. Plus Tom Holland is a nice middle ground between Andrew Garfield's way-too-coolness and Toby McGuire being a believable Parker but a terrible Spider-man. After two aborted Spider-man franchises which were basically identical it's nice seeing something new.

The only thing I don't really like is nu-MJ. Like, the character is fine but there's zero reason to call her that. She doesn't look like Mary Jane, she doesn't act like Mary Jane, and her name isn't even Mary Jane. So why not just call her something else, considering she's an entirely different character in every aspect but her initials. Even my dirty librul friends who like diversity changes found that awkward and patronizing.

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
The MCU originally drew more from the Ultimate Universe of comics. The Ultimate Line was separate from the main comics and was intended to be a more modernized version of the Marvel characters, so the FF were no longer in their 30's/40's in the 2000's while also having been active in WW II. The biggest influence was Samuel L Jackson as Fury. They specifically made the comic counterpart look exactly like him for movie purposes. Anyway, as a result of all that, Peter went back to being a high school kid.

The universe ended up doing it's own thing after awhile while touching on some of the classic Marvel stories. That's actually where Miles comes from in the first place. You can argue this far into the MCU they've ditched the Ultimate premise, but I'd think if nothing else they'd still stick with it to have Peter be relatively new versus having him be in his 30's and absent in the universe up until now

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The MCU originally drew more from the Ultimate Universe of comics. The Ultimate Line was separate from the main comics and was intended to be a more modernized version of the Marvel characters, so the FF were no longer in their 30's/40's in the 2000's while also having been active in WW II. The biggest influence was Samuel L Jackson as Fury. They specifically made the comic counterpart look exactly like him for movie purposes. Anyway, as a result of all that, Peter went back to being a high school kid.

The universe ended up doing it's own thing after awhile while touching on some of the classic Marvel stories. That's actually where Miles comes from in the first place. You can argue this far into the MCU they've ditched the Ultimate premise, but I'd think if nothing else they'd still stick with it to have Peter be relatively new versus having him be in his 30's and absent in the universe up until now
The Ultimate series was really good and went to much darker places. I know in that universe the Hulk was never used because he was too dangerous and couldn't be controlled. Plus he was a cannibal (off-screen). And Ant-Man abused the Wasp too. A lot of characters died for good too like Venom and Legion (Professor X's kid).

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm realizing that a lot of Doug's attitudes are influenced by his brother, especially towards comic book adaptations, like Spiderman. I think Rob's the big comic reader, not Doug, so instead of developing his own opinions, Doug just lets Rob color his own views. Like he insulted
Willem DaFoe's Green Goblin, which back then, I thought was awesome, and I still enjoy it. I know in the comics he wears a latex mask and looks more like a traditional goblin, but you need something that looks scary. And he criticizes Doc Oc's arms becoming part of him, and I'm not familiar with how it is in the comics, but I didn't mind that either. Like he thought it was funny and over-dramatic, but they were actually part of him, like it was established that they were part of his nervous system.

Hank Salagna

I eat your babies bietch
kiwifarms.net
Like he insulted Willem DaFoe's Green Goblin, which back then, I thought was awesome, and I still enjoy it. I know in the comics he wears a latex mask and looks more like a traditional goblin, but you need something that looks scary.
The Green Goblin, overall, is a difficult character to translate to live action without making him look goofy appearance-wise it seems. In animation and whatnot it's easier because the artists have no limit to how exaggerated or non-human he can be made. However, in live action stuff there's a stopping point to how far you can go with costumes and makeup (unless they just decided to make him entirely CGI) and that's why so far we've gotten a Power Rangers villain, a snowboarder, and Warwick Davis' Leprechaun. My heart goes out to the people in charge of designing him whenever they decide to introduce him in the MCU.

Last edited:

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
The Green Goblin, overall, is a difficult character to translate to live action without making him look goofy appearance-wise it seems.
That doesn't make sense because you could say the same thing about The Joker or the dozens of 'creepy mask' horror movies that come out every year (Halloween, The Purge, You're Next, etc.). All they would need to do is take the character seriously and treat him like a dangerous serial killer. Weather the mask, mute the color a little and film him in shadow. Boom You got a perfectly serviceable Green Goblin in nothing more than a latex off-the-shelf mask.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino