TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
I think the bigger overall reason why CtC failed is that they really didn't have an achievable goal apart from embarrassing Channel Awesome management. Allison's section of the document (the largest of all contributors) is filled with a bunch of petty shit. She says that Doug asks her about the origin of a goofy voice she does, and that he seemed baffled that she created it because he can't fathom the idea of comedy that isn't ripping off another source. What goal are you closer to accomplishing by sharing this? As I've said in her thread, Allison was under the impression that, somehow, they'd get Michaud fired even though he owns the company and doesn't have to answer to shareholders or a board of directors. If these people had any meaningful work experience outside of making goofy videos, they'd know that was impossible, particularly when put against the complaints made against them.
It also happened way too late. By the time the document came out, CA primarily consisted of Brad, Linkara and a bunch of "literal who's." Even people who still liked Doug didn't seem like they could name more than maybe two other contributors on the site. Doug was also already using YouTube and his Chicago crew as his primary audience for years. The only thing CtC really did was raise awareness to the fact that Guru Larry was part of CA all this time. Maybe if it had come out when they were still on Blip and getting most of their traffic from the CA site it would have done something, but it was just way too far removed to matter in the slightest. Striking during some of the kickstarter controversy would have been a good idea too, but as it was, that barely got any focus.

If anything, it helped Doug because it didn't seem like he was particularly interested in doing anything with the new talent, he just wants to focus on his Chicago crew.

Doctor Stan

Fake Doctor
kiwifarms.net
It also happened way too late. By the time the document came out, CA primarily consisted of Brad, Linkara and a bunch of "literal who's." Even people who still liked Doug didn't seem like they could name more than maybe two other contributors on the site. Doug was also already using YouTube and his Chicago crew as his primary audience for years. The only thing CtC really did was raise awareness to the fact that Guru Larry was part of CA all this time. Maybe if it had come out when they were still on Blip and getting most of their traffic from the CA site it would have done something, but it was just way too far removed to matter in the slightest. Striking during some of the kickstarter controversy would have been a good idea too, but as it was, that barely got any focus.

If anything, it helped Doug because it didn't seem like he was particularly interested in doing anything with the new talent, he just wants to focus on his Chicago crew.
It really was too little too late, the site was completely pointless for the most part when everyone went over to YouTube anyway, it basically told everyone "hey these fucking muppets are pissy about unprofessional behavior from a few years ago" and it was fun gossip at the time, but anyone trying to take it that seriously at this point is a loser, it's dead, let's all move on, all praise be to our Hawaiian shirted errverlord

Candidae

kiwifarms.net
Most of these people didn't want to leave and were happy, but Lupa whipped a bunch of tards into a frenzy to harrass everyone into quitting
And not just that, the smaller channels who had no part in this had to leave or it would make them look terrible and probably tank their channels. People were keeping tabs on who was staying
Tbh, I think the reason Linkara left was due to that. He was and potentially still is close to Doug and that apparently wasn't an issue before for him (or Lupa). Todd in the Shadows seems to be in a similar position where he did a video with a Lupa cameo pre CTC and she joked about leaving channel awesome so it seems he had no issue either. Anyone else who did at least partially benefit from CA had no real choice but to leave which really sucks for them (sure it wasn't the most useful thing in the world but it's something for a small creator). If CA hadn't switched to mostly the Chicago crew I'd bet their site would have filled back up within a year. But considering it seems they've done nothing to replenish their user base, they probably didn't care or they'd have gone into damage control mode like crazy as people were leaving

LordofCringe7206

kiwifarms.net
I will say that while CTC ultimately failed in the grand scheme, it did do serious damage to Doug in one way: it shattered his delusions of one day making it big in Hollywood. While he's still thriving as the Nostalgia Critic, he so desperately wants to escape it and go on to bigger and better things.

But he never will. He avoided that realization for so many years but it finally caught up to him.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
I will say that while CTC ultimately failed in the grand scheme, it did do serious damage to Doug in one way: it shattered his delusions of one day making it big in Hollywood. While he's still thriving as the Nostalgia Critic, he so desperately wants to escape it and go on to bigger and better things.

But he never will. He avoided that realization for so many years but it finally caught up to him.
I don't think Change the Channel did that. I think an argument could be made that the combination of Demo Reel and Pop Quiz Hotshot (which I have heard was intended to act as a proof of concept to cable networks) did more to narrow the vision of the core Channel Awesome crew than Change the Channel. If anything, Change the Channel destroyed the illusion that Channel Awesome was some sort of online midwest talent haven. Doug Walker has said numerous times that the crossovers and anniversary specials were his version of the Batman episode "Almost Got'im" with the stable of CA talent taking the place of the villains. Even if it didn't pan out in practice, I do think Michaud and the Walkers saw CA as some sort of bigger entity than a hosting site. Maybe that was true in the early days. I think that most of the CA fanbase that watch something that was hosted on the site apart from Nostalgia Critic were watching people like Linkara, Spoony, Nostalgia Chick; shows that were on the site around 2009. By last year, no one gave a shit about any of the contributors that had been added in recent years. I don't think the source was the Google doc, but one of the last new additions to the site basically admitted that being on CA did jackshit for their views, even with the much desired Nostalgia Critic crossover bump. The actual reality of Channel Awesome not being a bigger entertainment brand than it is was realized long ago.

Doctor Stan

Fake Doctor
kiwifarms.net
You're shitting me right, did he honestly compare those painfully awful masturbatory anniversary movies of his to the works of Bruce Timm and Paul Dini?
I mean, it's a show he used to wank off to all the time, and it's an episode he likes, it makes sense as a point of comparison for his audience if they're familiar with his love of TaS, but we all know he's got an over inflated ego anyway, so he could have been unironically comparing himself to Timm and Dini

CausticMinory

"Bring Light to my plight"
kiwifarms.net
All CTC did for most is make them bad for JW wife. Having her husband be a predator AND killing himself because that shit might have gone public.

• Agree
Reactions: Blonde Bomb

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
You're shitting me right, did he honestly compare those painfully awful masturbatory anniversary movies of his to the works of Bruce Timm and Paul Dini?
Yes. I believe I first heard him make the comparison either in his Top 11 Batman episode list or the commentary for that video.
Edit: To clarify, he didn't say his work matched up to that episode, but that he drew inspiration from it.

Ten2Nine

kiwifarms.net
I mean, it's a show he used to wank off to all the time, and it's an episode he likes, it makes sense as a point of comparison for his audience if they're familiar with his love of TaS, but we all know he's got an over inflated ego anyway, so he could have been unironically comparing himself to Timm and Dini

It's at 42:53, just in case it doesn't take you there automatically. He's saying the schlubs that were working for Channel Awesome were just as strong personalities as all these iconic Batman villains who have been around for decades, some for over 70 years. Doug believes if you put strong characters together "it writes itself". Uh, huh. I'm sure Doug would do just as well in a professional writers room as he did doing live improv.

Doctor Stan

Fake Doctor
kiwifarms.net
It's at 42:53, just in case it doesn't take you there automatically. He's saying the schlubs that were working for Channel Awesome were just as strong personalities as all these iconic Batman villains who have been around for decades, some for over 70 years. Doug believes if you put strong characters together "it writes itself". Uh, huh. I'm sure Doug would do just as well in a professional writers room as he did doing live improv.
What a fucking moron

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Cinematic Venom (the same guy who posted that Discord server) also produced an hour and 20 minute documentary on it. It was posted just a few hours ago:

Knowing that his videos on #ChangeTheChannel parodying Doug (along with a fucking rap song) is what brought him some views and popularity (6 of his top 10 most viewed videos are all CTC related), it's painfully obvious (despite him saying so otherwise at the beginning of the documentary) that he's still trying to ride the long dead hashtag to suck as many views and subs it has left. At this point, it's not even beating a dead horse anymore. The horse had already decayed long ago. They're just beating the ground where the dead horse had died on long ago.
Oh wow...that's just sad.

CV is about a year too late on that one.

Candidae

kiwifarms.net
What a fucking moron
It's his biggest issue honestly. He can't recreate good writing so he takes what he liked or noticed in media (strong, memorable characters and stark visual style) and tries to imitate it alone, without any of the other aspects of writing which made those characters work. It is fine to an extent on YouTube but is the reason why he wouldn't be able to get beyond that point. He can't write tv and couldn't be on tv, let alone be his idol Tim Burton. Though it shows why he has difficulty seeing why Tim Burton doesn't work as a director anymore (style over substance). He sort of gets it but that's where the line between tearing something down vs building something up commences

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino