TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

IcyHotStuntaz

kiwifarms.net
It's his biggest issue honestly. He can't recreate good writing so he takes what he liked or noticed in media (strong, memorable characters and stark visual style) and tries to imitate it alone, without any of the other aspects of writing which made those characters work. It is fine to an extent on YouTube but is the reason why he wouldn't be able to get beyond that point. He can't write tv and couldn't be on tv, let alone be his idol Tim Burton. Though it shows why he has difficulty seeing why Tim Burton doesn't work as a director anymore (style over substance). He sort of gets it but that's where the line between tearing something down vs building something up commences
He can write some decent stuff, but he just can't edit... I don't mean from a technical level, but just content wise. Even back in the NC heyday from ten years ago, his movie reviews were six minutes of decent material sprinkled across a seventeen minute video of mostly flailing and mugging. That said, I never really followed him all that closely... so I could be short changing him. But between the mugging and screeching and material that should have hit the cutting room floor... his little nuggets of legit comedy weren't worth swimming upstream through the shit. I didn't catch any of the Demo Reel episodes until well after it crashed and burned... but those were even worse. Some of those were 30-40 minutes spread across multiple parts when they had no business lasting over 15.

Zhoban

Bougie von Savage
kiwifarms.net

It's at 42:53, just in case it doesn't take you there automatically. He's saying the schlubs that were working for Channel Awesome were just as strong personalities as all these iconic Batman villains who have been around for decades, some for over 70 years. Doug believes if you put strong characters together "it writes itself". Uh, huh. I'm sure Doug would do just as well in a professional writers room as he did doing live improv.

He tried that with Kickassia... which turned out to be one of the worst, most unprofessional films I've had the displeasure of seeing.

Hank Salagna

I eat your babies bietch
kiwifarms.net
He tried that with Kickassia... which turned out to be one of the worst, most unprofessional films I've had the displeasure of seeing.
And you wanna know something? Kickassia is considered the ""best"" of his trilogy of films.

Have you seen To Boldly Flee? If you haven't, don't, because it's 3 and a half hours of Doug Walker comedy in what is one of the most self-fellating ego trip storylines I've ever watched in a work of fiction.

Last edited:
And you wanna know something? Kickassia is considered the ""best"" of his trilogy of films.

Have you seen To Boldly Flee? If you haven't, don't, because it's 3 and a half hours of Doug Walker comedy in what is one of the most self-fellating ego trip storylines I've ever watched in a work of fiction.

It's actually quite impressive how Doug managed to take a 30 minute concept of saying farewell to the character he was playing, and made it longer than the theatrical version of LOTR Return of the King. Then bring the character back soon after when ratings tanked.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I'd like to say that I'd have handled those anniversary specials differently, but who knows, if I had a bunch of people online stroking my ego, I'd probably indulge in it too. Who knows?

At the very least though, I know I wouldn't have taped a girl upside down to the wall. Seriously, guys, just put her up on a step ladder or some kind of stable platform, tape her wrists to the wall, set her hair up so that it at least looks like its dangling upside down, film it right side up, and then flip the footage upside down. Its not that hard, Any video editing software worth a damn could pull that off (I think even Windows Movie Maker had that capability). I'm not saying it would have looked great, and its low tech as fuck, but as least she wouldn't have, ya know, passed out.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
It's actually quite impressive how Doug managed to take a 30 minute concept of saying farewell to the character he was playing, and made it longer than the theatrical version of LOTR Return of the King. Then bring the character back soon after when ratings tanked.
Let's be real here: it wasn't really a farewell video up until maybe the last 15 minutes or so of the movie. Up to that point, it just felt like a really, really cringy and shoddily-made Star Trek fan movie: except it has Kirk being the sole focus, and it was as if the people making it weren't even fans of the show to begin with.

8777BB5

Keep Her Sexy and Straightforward
kiwifarms.net
Let's be real here: it wasn't really a farewell video up until maybe the last 15 minutes or so of the movie. Up to that point, it just felt like a really, really cringy and shoddily-made Star Trek fan movie: except it has Kirk being the sole focus, and it was as if the people making it weren't even fans of the show to begin with.
So a crappier version of Star Trek V

Hank Salagna

I eat your babies bietch
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone visited Channel Awesome as of late? Because holy shit, that site is deader than Rasputin. Not only did they never brought back their forums, but none of their videos get any comments whatsoever. They need to get rid of it, it's just a useless vestigial limb at this point. All the people still watching are obviously bypassing it and going straight to their youtube channel.

Last edited:

Truthboi

Prince of filthy weeaboos
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone visited Channel Awesome as of late? Because holy shit, that site is deader than Rasputin. Not only did they never brought back their forums, but none of their videos get any comments whatsoever. They need to get rid of it, it's just a useless vestigial limb at this point. All the people still watching are obviously bypassing it and going straight to their youtube channel.
I just checked and the only other partner Channel Awesome has is just Cinema Snob. I am not sure but they lost Cinemassacre as a partner.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
I just checked and the only other partner Channel Awesome has is just Cinema Snob. I am not sure but they lost Cinemassacre as a partner.
I could be wrong, but I think that happened during Change the Channel. I know that Cinemassacre quietly removed Channel Awesome's name from their site around that time. Clearly there's no love lost since Walker has appeared in Cinemassacre videos since then.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
The most shocking thing about this post is that I was stunned to find out the site was still up.

Who maintains it? Why do they maintain it?

Okay quick question about Dr. Gonzo's comments. DG mentioned something about Aussie-Gate. What was Aussie-Gate?

Last edited:

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The most shocking thing about this post is that I was stunned to find out the site was still up.

Okay quick question about Dr. Gonzo's comments. DG mentioned something about Aussie-Gate. What was Aussie-Gate?
Dan Rizzo getting fired and unpersoned in the early days for being a creepy perv.

• Informative
Reactions: RumblyTumbly

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
Dan Rizzo getting fired and unpersoned in the early days for being a creepy perv.
Was he really a creepy perv? I've begun to question all the old TGWTG lore, especially anything that comes out of Holly. I wonder if he was just very un-PC. I had an Australian friend in college that said things that made all the snowflakes' jaws drop.

• Agree
Reactions: MidUSA

Jetman

kiwifarms.net
Don't forget this was also a possible send-off in the case of SOPA getting passed, which it didn't. It was being written around the time they were voting on it and Rob REALLY let his opinions of the ordeal known at the beginning.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
I completely forgot about the SOPA shit, JFC.
I just remembered they named it the SUCKA bill in a completely subtle way to poke fun at the bill.

Best part was that the subplot was dropped a third of the way in after 8-bit Mickey (I think that's his name?) kills the politician for making fun of his height or some shit. It was completely pointless and only served to date the movie severely. Tell me, does anyone remember SOPA now?

Doctor Stan

Fake Doctor
kiwifarms.net

When they had more than Doug and Brad, I assumed that it was up because spergs might visit it kind of out of habbit, maybe check out other creators, but now it's just bizarre to keep it. I get keeping the domain for 'business' reasons, but you don't need to actually use it, or just have the url redirect to the YouTube channel.
Was he really a creepy perv? I've begun to question all the old TGWTG lore, especially anything that comes out of Holly. I wonder if he was just very un-PC. I had an Australian friend in college that said things that made all the snowflakes' jaws drop.
I mean they do drop the word cunt all the time, I've seen that shock a few people, just sprinkle it on as a good old sentence enhancer

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino