TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

Ten2Nine

kiwifarms.net
It's actually quite impressive how Doug managed to take a 30 minute concept of saying farewell to the character he was playing, and made it longer than the theatrical version of LOTR Return of the King. Then bring the character back soon after when ratings tanked.
I didn't watch Suburban Knights or To Boldly Flee when they first came out since I tapped out of Kickassia 10 minutes in. A friend of mine did watch To Boldly Flee and let me know Doug had retired the Nostalgia Critic character to my confusion and disbelief. Why would he kill his cash cow and for what? He dropped something successful with his audience for an ego-driven, risky new venture (Demo Reel) that he should have known would fail.

Doug tried to branch out with sketches, animations, other characters, etc... years before Demo Reel and none of them took off. Demo Reel was no different than all that stuff so it's pretty egotistical to assume your Nostalgia Critic audience will just automatically watch your new show if you take the old show away from them. Doug could have tried a more cautious and careful testing the waters approach but this is still the same guy who dramatically quit his janitor job on camera. Only this time he had to come back with his tail between his legs.

In his video announcing the return, he brought up how he might have been too hasty based on the toll the anniversary specials took on him. I think he said that looking for sympathy but from whom? The audience who let him know they weren't interested, the other reviewers who hated doing them since they got little out of it or the professional members of the technical crew who Doug pissed off by ignoring their valid advice. But Doug has a DREAM and if he believes in it he should certainly be able to achieve it without going through the burden of evolving. Aren't a couple of bloated cosplay "movies" composed of recreated plot elements from several real movies stitched together enough to get Hollywood calling?

Slartibartfast

Discordian Archivist
kiwifarms.net
Only true intellectuals remember and appreciate peak dated quality from the Walker Brothers, my good man.
I just realized, this is their long term goal: to be able to begin doing Nostalgia Critic episodes about Nostalgia Critic episodes.

The dated comedy gives them something to hoot and howl over, without bitching about the actual problems (surface-level criticism, terrible acting/sketches, etc).

8777BB5

Keep Her Sexy and Straightforward
kiwifarms.net
I didn't watch Suburban Knights or To Boldly Flee when they first came out since I tapped out of Kickassia 10 minutes in. A friend of mine did watch To Boldly Flee and let me know Doug had retired the Nostalgia Critic character to my confusion and disbelief. Why would he kill his cash cow and for what? He dropped something successful with his audience for an ego-driven, risky new venture (Demo Reel) that he should have known would fail.

Doug tried to branch out with sketches, animations, other characters, etc... years before Demo Reel and none of them took off. Demo Reel was no different than all that stuff so it's pretty egotistical to assume your Nostalgia Critic audience will just automatically watch your new show if you take the old show away from them. Doug could have tried a more cautious and careful testing the waters approach but this is still the same guy who dramatically quit his janitor job on camera. Only this time he had to come back with his tail between his legs.

In his video announcing the return, he brought up how he might have been too hasty based on the toll the anniversary specials took on him. I think he said that looking for sympathy but from whom? The audience who let him know they weren't interested, the other reviewers who hated doing them since they got little out of it or the professional members of the technical crew who Doug pissed off by ignoring their valid advice. But Doug has a DREAM and if he believes in it he should certainly be able to achieve it without going through the burden of evolving. Aren't a couple of bloated cosplay "movies" composed of recreated plot elements from several real movies stitched together enough to get Hollywood calling?
I bet Doug was hoping that Hollywood would think he was the next Quinten Tarantino, ignoring the fact that Tarantino knockoffs are a dime a dozen in Hollywood

LordofCringe7206

kiwifarms.net
I bet Doug was hoping that Hollywood would think he was the next Quinten Tarantino, ignoring the fact that Tarantino knockoffs are a dime a dozen in Hollywood
Looking back on it, the anniversary specials were really the first indication of how delusional Doug was. He really treated them ultra-seriously and viewed them as the first stepping stones to bigger things.

In reality they should of just been treated as fun events to celebrate the existence of your community.

AlmightyMagichan

kiwifarms.net
Ironically, Doug seems to have a problem with collaboration. A lot of the people in that change the channel document mentioned that he rarely communicated with anyone. For him the anniversary specials must have been an excuse to use everyone as free tools for his larger projects. Especially with how he ditched all of them after Boldly Flee. The earlier one's might have been somewhat decent if he had let other people help.

Truthboi

Prince of filthy weeaboos
kiwifarms.net
Ironically, Doug seems to have a problem with collaboration. A lot of the people in that change the channel document mentioned that he rarely communicated with anyone. For him the anniversary specials must have been an excuse to use everyone as free tools for his larger projects. Especially with how he ditched all of them after Boldly Flee. The earlier one's might have been somewhat decent if he had let other people help.
The only anniversary special of his that was good was the AVGN brawl one only because Doug seemed more humble back then and was aware his show was a dumb internet sketch show while now he views it as art.

BoiDaBob

kiwifarms.net
I'll be honest. I don't actually find Doug to be that bad a reviewer. Somewhat. See, I used to watch the Nostalgia Critic back when the angry reviewer thing was still getting big and I still followed him even up to at least 2016 even as he got increasingly cringey as I grew up. So years after I stopped watching him, I talked to a guy in a Discord server I'm in who still watches Doug's videos unironically. When I asked him why, he said "As terrible as Doug can be like that Bart's Nightmare LP, he can make solid points from time to time".

So he recommends me Doug's video on The Jungle Book remake.........And I have to admit, I actually agreed with Doug's points in the review even if I haven't seen the movie in a while. I mean, he can still be cringey as hell but when he compares the remake to the book and the original animated movie and how it fares worse than them, I can see his points. So I watched more and more of his videos and even still do to this day. But it's a weird relationship. I have enjoyed certain videos like the Tom and Jerry analysis video where he shows a very concrete understanding of what makes those cartoons work and the one where he talked about the Goofy shorts back in the '50s or something, but then he would make a pretty bad or mediocre video as he does from time to time.

He can actually make pretty good points from time to time but then that's balanced out by his shittier opinions and autism. I didn't even like his X-Men The Last Stand video and even I agreed with some of his defenses of the movie and that it should be given a little more credit (in how it brings up some interesting ideas and has better VFX than the previous two at least). I mean, if given the choice, I'd still rather watch RedLetterMedia over Doug any day, but to his credit, I believe that he can be solid when he makes the occasional good point. Whether said points are obvious or said better by better critics or not.

AlmightyMagichan

kiwifarms.net
I don't know about how legitimate Doug's insightful comments are. File this under conspiracy if you want, but he has been accused of getting information from other places, like RedLetterMedia, and just parroting their thoughts and ideas. There isn't exactly a way to prove this, but the evidence is mostly against him. For every insightful comment, he's got about 1,000 stupid ones. There have been many instances where very basic themes and even plot points have flown completely over his head. And for some reason he is utterly incapable of applying any of these good points into his own projects.

UngaWunga

Time Vapire
kiwifarms.net
I just realized, this is their long term goal: to be able to begin doing Nostalgia Critic episodes about Nostalgia Critic episodes.

The dated comedy gives them something to hoot and howl over, without bitching about the actual problems (surface-level criticism, terrible acting/sketches, etc).
That sounds just a little too clever, self aware, even meta. Especially for a guy who's spent his whole career displaying a pretty impressive lack of creativity or cleverness.

But it might be interesting. The thing I ultimately ended up hating msot about him is his style of "review" that's basically just a linear description of the whole movie interspersed with comedy snark attempts just just make him seem like an idiot who's confused and appalled by even straight forward children's films. So approaching his old videos where he does that, and then doing that to them, could be a crreative way to deconstruct his own character and past and...yeah never mind.

A Big Bumbling Black Man

never forget your vest in the gangster kitchen
kiwifarms.net
That sounds just a little too clever, self aware, even meta.
The closest thing to this is former CA member Mike Jeavon's "Shameful Sequels" videos where Channel Awesome is the subject.

It's pretty meta to watch a Doug-style reviewer criticize Doug's movies and point out all the flaws and plot holes like he does any other bad movie. Watching Doug dissected by his own level of nit-pickiness is weirdly cathartic.

Last edited:

AlmightyMagichan

kiwifarms.net
The closest thing to this is former CA member Mike Jeavon's "Shameful Sequels" videos where Channel Awesome is the subject.

It's pretty meta to watch a Doug-style reviewer criticize Doug's movies and point out all the flaws and plot holes like he does any other bad movie. Watching Doug dissected by his own level of nit-pickiness is weirdly cathartic.
Never saw To Boldy Flee. Goddammit Doug, is it really that hard to come up with a single original idea?

You know if they were still making these anniversary specials they could have done their own water downed, dumbass version of The Avengers. The only question is, would Doug be Captain Critic so he can be the leader, or Thor Critic so he can be the "sexy" one and force Rob to be Loki?

Last edited:

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
Never saw To Boldy Flee. Goddammit Doug, is it really that hard to come up with a single original idea?

You know if they were still making these anniversary specials they could have done their own water downed, dumbass version of The Avengers. The only question is, would Doug be Captain Critic so he can be the leader, or Thor Critic so he can be the "sexy" one and force Rob to be Loki?
The aborted ten year anniversary special was going to be a horror parody. The Blockbuster Buster and Some Jerk with a Camera confirmed that they had parts in it, and Linkara confirmed that he turned down the chance to be in it. They all said that this was a smaller project than the earlier specials, so it's unlikely that the script will leak. As I remarked at the time, the mass exodus of contributors in the wake of Change the Channel kinda mirrored a horror film, with them disappearing one by one.

Doctor Stan

Fake Doctor
kiwifarms.net
The aborted ten year anniversary special was going to be a horror parody. The Blockbuster Buster and Some Jerk with a Camera confirmed that they had parts in it, and Linkara confirmed that he turned down the chance to be in it. They all said that this was a smaller project than the earlier specials, so it's unlikely that the script will leak. As I remarked at the time, the mass exodus of contributors in the wake of Change the Channel kinda mirrored a horror film, with them disappearing one by one.
Really scraping for creators if they were roping in BB for it, not surprised that Linkara turned it down, don't blame him though, going through another special sounds like a nightmare

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino