TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
Disagree simply because I am a total slut for Batman the Animated Series. I adore what they did for Two Face/Harvey, Mr. Freeze, and of course the creation of Harley. Plus Mark Hamill as the Joker is probably the most iconic thing ever (so is Conroy but I'm pretty sure he played Batman in Justice League just because he had to)
But I might also be biased against Justice League cause I watched Super Friends as a kid before school and got mad that Superman did everything which made me pretty much hate all things with him in them minus the Christopher Reeve movies. But the Animated Series is still absolutely fantastic
Superman TAS was excellent. Easily the best version of the character on the big or small screen, and he was similarly excellent on the DCAU's Justice League.

The episode where he faces Gilbert Gottfried's Mxysptlk alone is better than any of the Superman movies ever made, and it's not even the best episode of the show.

Ten2Nine

kiwifarms.net

I knew it. Doug is trying to sell his decision to start making easy, shallow trailer reaction videos as organic. "Gee, guys...when I made that Sonic trailer reaction video it was only going to be a one-time thing as I said in that video but everyone liked it so much...I've decided to do a second one. I certainly didn't plan to make this a regular thing before the Sonic one was even recorded. This isn't a move of desperation and laziness at all...I just give the people what they want."

And the subject is Spider-Man, which Doug's opinions of Spider-Man movies tend to annoy me enough to make lenghty posts detailing all the many, many details that annoy me. Today is no different.

SIGH....Ok, here we go.

In 2016's Captain America: Civil War, Tony Stark asks Peter Parker why he became Spider-Man. He seems to have difficultly answering the question, looking away from Tony several times and appearing nervous around the topic in general.

Peter: (looks away briefly and then gulps) When you can do the things that I can but you don't and then the bad things happen...they happen because of you.

There's an awkward silence between Tony and Peter as both look away from the other. Earlier, Peter mentioned having his powers for the last 6 months and Tony mentioned doing his research on Peter. If a certain uncle's death matched up pretty closely with that 6 months timeline, I think Tony can put 2 and 2 together. Tony then appears to give Peter an out by basically answering the question for him so they can move on from the subject.

Tony: So, you wanna' look out for the little guy, you wanna' do your part, make the world a better place, all that, right?

Peter: Yeah, yeah, yeah, just lookin' out for the little guy. Tha-that's what it is.

In 2016's Spider-Man: Homecoming, Peter's friend, Ned doesn't think he can keep his knowledge that Peter is Spider-Man a secret. Peter is especially afraid that his Aunt May will find out.

Peter: May can not know! I can not do that to her right now! Y'know...I mean, everything that's happened with her...I...please.

Ned: Ok.

Doug apparently missed those parts because he states that there is no actual Uncle Ben in the MCU.

He has no idea why Peter became Spider-Man in the past MCU movies except that he wanted to be like Iron Man. He says that Peter is getting motivation to be Spider-Man way after being Spider-Man with Tony Stark's death making him the MCU's version of Uncle Ben.
It's been a couple years since Civil War and Homecoming were released and at no point did Doug find out that Ben's death was hinted at and implied in previous movies?

Oh, wait...scratch that. Doug did catch the "Aunt May has been through a lot" mention in Homecoming but Ben wasn't explicitly mentioned there so both Doug & Rob reject that this was in reference to Uncle Ben. Doug even suggests maybe the MCU will put focus on Ben later but Rob quickly shoots that down as a stupid idea.

By design, the MCU version of Spider-Man deliberately don't retread the same ground covered in all the pre-MCU films made. Sometimes that means getting to some material in a different way. In the 2 previous Spider-Man film series, the death of Uncle Ben was put front and center with Peter often talking about it. He lionized Uncle Ben. In the MCU version, Ben's death is the motivator for Peter becoming Spider-Man but also a sore subject since he appears to be deeply ashamed about it. That involves being a bit subtle which means the Walkers can't detect it to save their lives. A lot of people were irked with how it was handled in Homecoming but I think it makes sense with this version of Spider-Man to drift into the heavier backstory stuff in time. The trailers for Far From Home (which Doug said he saw both) shows Happy Hogan flirting with Aunt May and a close-up of Peter's suitcase showing it has Ben's initials.

These suggest to me that Ben is going to be more of a subject in Far From Home. The Endgame Spoilers thing above is, I think, going to be a catalyst for Peter to finally deal with his feelings about Uncle Ben. I can't wait to hear Doug & Rob eventually talk about how dumb it was to tell the story this way as opposed to the clearly superior Amazing Spider-Man method of blandly copy and pasting the Uncle Ben stuff from the first Raimi movie minus the passion.

I think part of the reason it gets under my skin is that both Doug & Rob rep being Spider-Man fans constantly while rejecting so much of what's great about him. They only embrace things they perceive as "epic" and "badass" while dismissing anything else as "corny". They want to think of themselves as sharp critics who are much smarter than the filmmakers but they always reveal themselves as basically dense yokels rooting on monster trucks. These two are the dumb fucks whose feedback in a test screening hobbles a clever film since they didn't get it or weren't paying attention and that's the movie's fault somehow.

Also, to no one's surprise, Doug knows nothing about Mysterio except that he's a villain, which was probably the one thing Rob knew about him that he passed onto Doug.

BoiDaBob

kiwifarms.net
It's always funny to me watching Doug try to shit on the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies especially now that everyone agrees the Amazing Spider-Man movies aren't any good while the Sam Raimi movies live on in memory. Even 3, the shitty one, gets more love. Though something I have noticed about him is that after ASM 2 turned out to be such a shitshow, he barely references the ASM movies anymore. Makes you think.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
It's always funny to me watching Doug try to shit on the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies especially now that everyone agrees the Amazing Spider-Man movies aren't any good while the Sam Raimi movies live on in memory. Even 3, the shitty one, gets more love. Though something I have noticed about him is that after ASM 2 turned out to be such a shitshow, he barely references the ASM movies anymore. Makes you think.
Why do people like Doug shit on the Raimi films? I never understood that.

I rewatched one and two recently and they are quite good with good drama and character moments, and the Goblin/Peter fight at the end of one is awesome and brutal, way better than the CGI fests we tend to get today.

And of course if you didn’t have the Raimi films, Burton’s Batman, or Donner’s Superman, you wouldn’t have the foundation for the superhero films of today. They deserve a place in history.

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
I knew it. Doug is trying to sell his decision to start making easy, shallow trailer reaction videos as organic. "Gee, guys...when I made that Sonic trailer reaction video it was only going to be a one-time thing as I said in that video but everyone liked it so much...I've decided to do a second one. I certainly didn't plan to make this a regular thing before the Sonic one was even recorded. This isn't a move of desperation and laziness at all...I just give the people what they want."
It's just like the time RLM did trailer reactions!

Except for the part where it's not like RLM's trailer reactions in any way whatsoever!

Hey Doge, the above video is the reason why your wife keeps calling you "Rich" by mistake!

And the subject is Spider-Man, which Doug's opinions of Spider-Man movies tend to annoy me enough to make lenghty posts detailing all the many, many details that annoy me. Today is no different.
The Walker Brothers opinions on Spider-Man are exactly as dumb as required to land them jobs at Sony.

They were probably already offered the gig at least twice, then talked out of it by Mike Michaud each time.

WinterMoonsLight

Tsar of the Internet
kiwifarms.net
Why do people like Doug shit on the Raimi films? I never understood that.
Doug might not be a lolcow in the traditional sense, but him and his brother (especially Rob) have that contrarian hipster mentality down to a science. It's popular and enjoyed by the mainstream! Therefore, it's clearly not cerebral or deep enough for someone like me to enjoy!

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
Doug might not be a lolcow in the traditional sense, but him and his brother (especially Rob) have that contrarian hipster mentality down to a science. It's popular and enjoyed by the mainstream! Therefore, it's clearly not cerebral or deep enough for someone like me to enjoy!
The main reason for that is because Doug avoids using social media. The Walker Brothers' videos alone have proven that he's actually on the dumber end of the people covered on this site. He has the attention span of a knat, the neuro-atypicality of a low-functioning brony, and has spent a decade of his life getting suckered by Mike Michaud.

He's not the dumbest (that would be Jacob Wohl), but he's certainly dumber than anyone else covered under the TGWTG tag, and it's not like that's a bright bunch of people to begin with.

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
Doug's opinions on superheroes are pretty shallow honestly. It'd be one thing if he'd be just the typical normie who likes/dislikes the movies, but when he goes on tangents claiming how they're bad or inaccurate and such, but then you find out they don't read the comics, or even watch the animated series, it's like....Okay, why does your opinion matter and you try to make yourself the Spiderman "expert"? Or the Batman / X Men expert for that matter?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kinkshamer

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino