TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
I'm sure he is an amazing person, and from what I've seen he seems pretty cool. But I'm just not convinced about his acting skills, sorry.

I could give a lot of examples, but you can easily see it on the finale of Demo Reel:

Tamara is supposed to be exited, and she delivers it well. Doug is supposed to be increasingly confused and a bit scared and he also delivers (granted he does it cartoonishly and not realistically).

But Malcolm seems like he is just remembering his lines, only moving his eyebrows slightly. And he is supposed to be confused, worried, and even annoyed about Doug acting all crazy remembering people that never existed. He is supposed to show this great range of emotions to create tension... but he doesn't deliver. His eyes and tone of voice remain the same throughout the whole scene. He is only seen shaking his head now and then to remind us he is annoyed.

Maybe it's the bad directing, but he really needs to step up his game.
To his credit, Malcolm had me completely convinced that he did not want to do the Supervillian Shuffle.

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
Glad I'm not alone thinking their acting is very poor.

Also, like I said before, I suspect Doug just keeps them around because they are easy to control and move around. Compare them with Someone in Channel Awesome who also has sidekicks: Angry Joe.

Joe's friends also have far less charisma than him, but you will notice they are proactive, often having fun and playing around while giving his opinions.

Doug's sidekicks are mostly there because Doug doesn't just want to talk with himself, and are little more than to be extra characters on his skits.

My point is Tamara and Malcom are just there to be Yes men to Doug.

Last edited:

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
Excluding Other Joe, surely? He's usually the highlight of Hopping Mad Hernando's vids.
Well, this is subjective territory and this is Doug's thread. But what I mean is that I don't think Other Joe has enough Charisma to carry the show on his own. But, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is bad. He is great, and I do enjoy seeing him. In fact, that's why I'm using him as an example of how other people can actually improve the review. He is very passionate and miles better than Malcom and Tamara. I agree he is funny because he is actually contributing, and it's not just there to be a yesman.

In fact, that's my point. Other Joe is an example of how sidekicks in reviews can be great if done right. Malcolm and Tamara seem to be there to just be Yes Men to Doug and follow along in whatever skit he thought about. At least that's how it feels

Last edited:

Tron: Deadly Dicks

It's hard to fuck a moth and Godzilla ain't picky.
kiwifarms.net
Excluding Other Joe, surely? He's usually the highlight of Hopping Mad Hernando's vids.
Other Joe is the only good best part of joe's reviews

Well, this is subjective territory and this is Doug's thread. But what I mean is that I don't think Other Joe has enough Charisma to carry the show on his own.
To add on your point, he's firmly a sidekick kinda guy and I get the feeling he's perfectly happy being one.

In fact, that's my point. Other Joe is an example of how sidekicks in reviews can be great if done right. Malcolm and Tamara seem to be there to just be Yes Men to Doug and follow along in whatever skit he thought about. At least that's how it feels
The problem with doug's writing is that malcolm and tamara have no consistency as written characters because no matter if they're right, they'll go from being intelligent and have valid arguments in one moment to being complete morons only there to make doug look smart in the next.

Because in doug's world, only the nostalgia critic can be right.

The Pink Panther

The Dumb Squash From Lugash
kiwifarms.net
Other Joe is the only good best part of joe's reviews

To add on your point, he's firmly a sidekick kinda guy and I get the feeling he's perfectly happy being one.

The problem with doug's writing is that malcolm and tamara have no consistency as written characters because no matter if they're right, they'll go from being intelligent and have valid arguments in one moment to being complete morons only there to make doug look smart in the next.

Because in doug's world, only the nostalgia critic can be right.
Yeah, like....other than those incidental characters like Hyper Fan Girl or the Devil or anything they do in the sketches, when they are playing themselves....what exactly is their character?

They're literal strawmen, so the Critic can look better by comparison or just puppets The Critic uses for entertainment. His Ghost Dad review is the best example of the latter where he tricks Malcolm and Tamara into thinking he's dead and he makes them do foolish things in order for them to keep seeing him while he's "dead" because that was the movie's gimmick and it's lulzy for some reason?

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's kind of weird to consider someone's acting skill in terms of what they do.
Someone like Doug is more or less fine to work in a Youtube Movie Review skit, but imagining him as an actual actor makes me shudder.
No matter what he does, he's always just Doug doing a voice, never a character.
Tamara and Malcolm are similar, but even less capable of being actors. They are barely sufficient as skit extras, which is insanely sad.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Forgot the name of the other chick that used to work with Malcolm before Tamara joined in, she apparently now works as a stage actress or something. She was actually pretty good, I have to say, so if she manages to make a humble career out of her acting, I'm totally fine with that.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Forgot the name of the other chick that used to work with Malcolm before Tamara joined in, she apparently now works as a stage actress or something. She was actually pretty good, I have to say, so if she manages to make a humble career out of her acting, I'm totally fine with that.
Rachel wasn't it?

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
Wonder if those two have any kind of ambition for their acting careers, or if they are content just being Doug's skit lackeys/clones.

If they did, they seem to have either landed no other roles, or even bothered auditioning for any.

Given what we know about that websites contracts, I wonder if they were duped into signing some legal agreement (of dubious validity...) that bars them from other gigs while they're working for the site.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Pixy Misa

Doctor Stan

Fake Doctor
kiwifarms.net
She got out there before things got particularly awful for the group
I'm sure Malcolm's done some voice work on ads.
Yeah i though someone said that before in the thread

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino