TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Ten2Nine

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1118464

Saw this retweeted on Twitter. This is one of the co directors of Home on the Range. I didn’t know if Doug recently talked about it, but when I checked his Disneycember video on the film was four years ago? And this tweet is a week old? Why talk about Doug now?

I can definitely see why the co-director would be pissed at Doug based on how he talks about the movie in his review:

"Alright, let's get this over with. Home on the Range, yes, ok....out of all the Disney films I was going to see for Disneycember this is the one I wanted to see the least and let me tell you folks it didn't disappoint. It gave me exactly what I thought I was going to get. Oh God, do I hate this film. This is right up there with The Aristocats. Just no creativity, no spontaneity, no passion, no effort, just pure phoned in-ness!"

"It's about as half-assed as you can imagine. Ok, now, let me make one thing clear. When I say half-assed, I mean, half-assed for Disney. I know animation is hard, I know that by most normal standards this is still pretty good animation and I know that by most bad films and even bad childrens films considered, this isn't that horrendous. But if somebody told you that this was from the greatest animation company in the entire world, admit it you'd be a little cheesed off, too! You would want to see more effort from something that's so massive and so large. And this is a movie that's obviously just geared towards little kids, I mean, really little kids, toddlers. The jokes aren't for adults, the writing isn't for adults, the characters aren't for adults, even the animation style isn't really for adults! And again, that was the magic with Disney! They hit both! They could hit both the kids and the adults but here, no...it's just for kids."

"I remember so little. The songs are forgettable. The characters are forgettable. The obnoxiousness of how bright and colorful and smiley it is, just, ohhhh. It's like something out of Barney the Dinosaur or something. It just doesn't seem like Disney. Er, maybe it does but not updated Disney, not current Disney, not the Disney that kept us coming back wanting more, not the passion, not the drive. Uhhh, I don't even know what else to say about it. It's just bad."

Doug 01.pngDoug 02.pngDoug 03.png

The comments in bold are what set off the co-director, who defends his crew's difficult animation work against a "unfunny douche nozzle", and "no talent dilettante" who has no clue what it takes to make an animated film. Apparently, he previously sent Doug a message saying that Doug should say all the things he said in the review to his face. He clarified that he wasn't physically threatening Doug, describing both himself and Doug as guys who don't belong in a fight, just saying that Doug didn't have "the stones" to say it to his face. He's also quite disgusted to learn about Doug shitting on The Wall.

The Shadow

Last one in's a freemason!
kiwifarms.net
I hate to have to defend Doug but...

Doug still isn't funny but Home on the Range was a critical and commercial failure and essentially killed Disney's traditional animation (yeah, they did one more to go out on a high note but still-). Ask your average joe on the street to name a classic Disney film and they're gonna name something as obscure as The Black Cauldron or The Fox and The Hound before they remember Home on the Range even exists.

Doug's a whiny little bastard but he couldn't have picked a juicier target. It doesn't matter if you put your heart and soul into garbage, that doesn't change the fact that it's garbage.

Let's not overlook that as a profession, animators tend toward lolcow traits.

Last edited:

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
I hate to have to defend Doug but...

Doug still isn't funny but Home on the Range was a critical and commercial failure and essentially killed Disney's traditional animation (yeah, they did one more to go out on a high note but still-). Ask your average joe on the street to name a classic Disney film and they're gonna name something as obscure as The Black Cauldron or The Fox and The Hound before they remember Home on the Range even exists.

Doug's a whiny little bastard but he picked a the juiciest target. It doesn't matter if you put your heart and soul into garbage, that doesn't change the fact that it's garbage.
Hard agree here, the movie sucks and it really doesn't matter how much blood, sweat and tears were poured into it if the end result is an hour and a half of Roseanne Cow cracking shitty jokes while banjo music plays. I'm sure Tommy Wiseau spent a lot of time on The Room but that doesn't automatically make it anything more than a massive waste of time. Also I can't take seriously anybody who uses insults like "douche-nozzle" like come on man, you're a grown-up, you're allowed to cuss.

NNewt84

kiwifarms.net
Hard agree here, the movie sucks and it really doesn't matter how much blood, sweat and tears were poured into it if the end result is an hour and a half of Roseanne Cow cracking shitty jokes while banjo music plays. I'm sure Tommy Wiseau spent a lot of time on The Room but that doesn't automatically make it anything more than a massive waste of time. Also I can't take seriously anybody who uses insults like "douche-nozzle" like come on man, you're a grown-up, you're allowed to cuss.
I mean, "douche" isn't exactly kid-friendly, to be fair. When was the last time you heard it on a children's network? It's always "doof" or "doofus".

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
I mean, "douche" isn't exactly kid-friendly, to be fair. When was the last time you heard it on a children's network? It's always "doof" or "doofus".
Rather it's the very nature of these kinds of compound-insults that gets me questioning the maturity of the people using them. It's just such a goony way of insulting someone, like you're going down a list of acceptable slurs and after you've worked your way through all the verboten ones you're left only with stuff like "piss-baby" or "douche-nozzle", you know, insults that wouldn't offend the aforementioned audience of a children's network.

Random Internet Person

If you can read this, Cloudflare is doing its job.
kiwifarms.net

I can definitely see why the co-director would be pissed at Doug based on how he talks about the movie in his review:

"Alright, let's get this over with. Home on the Range, yes, ok....out of all the Disney films I was going to see for Disneycember this is the one I wanted to see the least and let me tell you folks it didn't disappoint. It gave me exactly what I thought I was going to get. Oh God, do I hate this film. This is right up there with The Aristocats. Just no creativity, no spontaneity, no passion, no effort, just pure phoned in-ness!"

"It's about as half-assed as you can imagine. Ok, now, let me make one thing clear. When I say half-assed, I mean, half-assed for Disney. I know animation is hard, I know that by most normal standards this is still pretty good animation and I know that by most bad films and even bad childrens films considered, this isn't that horrendous. But if somebody told you that this was from the greatest animation company in the entire world, admit it you'd be a little cheesed off, too! You would want to see more effort from something that's so massive and so large. And this is a movie that's obviously just geared towards little kids, I mean, really little kids, toddlers. The jokes aren't for adults, the writing isn't for adults, the characters aren't for adults, even the animation style isn't really for adults! And again, that was the magic with Disney! They hit both! They could hit both the kids and the adults but here, no...it's just for kids."

"I remember so little. The songs are forgettable. The characters are forgettable. The obnoxiousness of how bright and colorful and smiley it is, just, ohhhh. It's like something out of Barney the Dinosaur or something. It just doesn't seem like Disney. Er, maybe it does but not updated Disney, not current Disney, not the Disney that kept us coming back wanting more, not the passion, not the drive. Uhhh, I don't even know what else to say about it. It's just bad."

View attachment 1129438View attachment 1129439View attachment 1129440

The comments in bold are what set off the co-director, who defends his crew's difficult animation work against a "unfunny douche nozzle", and "no talent dilettante" who has no clue what it takes to make an animated film. Apparently, he previously sent Doug a message saying that Doug should say all the things he said in the review to his face. He clarified that he wasn't physically threatening Doug, describing both himself and Doug as guys who don't belong in a fight, just saying that Doug didn't have "the stones" to say it to his face. He's also quite disgusted to learn about Doug shitting on The Wall.
This director really strikes me as the tough guy that makes me think of Markiplier vs. Tonkasaw, except the end result is much sadder.
Hey, come on! The Room May be a piece of shit, but it’s still better than anything either of these guys can put out on their best days. And it gave us a great book.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I never saw Home on the Range, but I've heard its not just bad, but completely unremarkable. I mean I hated The Black Cauldron, but at least I'm glad I saw it as a unique piece of Disney's animation history.

HOTR just looks so...bland.

fishercat

good for health, bad for education
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never saw Home on the Range, but I've heard its not just bad, but completely unremarkable. I mean I hated The Black Cauldron, but at least I'm glad I saw it as a unique piece of Disney's animation history.

HOTR just looks so...bland.
I saw it. I barely remember anything about it aside from cows being hypnotized via yodeling.

Mertor

kiwifarms.net
To add my two cents in the matter, besides the fact how evil the TGWTG members were, I always have in mind the drama between Doug and AVGN so many years ago. This drama was in fact, what allowed me to learn about AVGN (back then I was NC fan). It's funny how everything turns out. AVGN still remains on top and I never heard about any dark stuff about him. While Doug? Well, you know best what's up with him. To sum it up. I still subscribe and watch AVGN, the entire TGWTG is long gone from my subscribe list.

Severus Snope

kiwifarms.net
To add my two cents in the matter, besides the fact how evil the TGWTG members were, I always have in mind the drama between Doug and AVGN so many years ago. This drama was in fact, what allowed me to learn about AVGN (back then I was NC fan). It's funny how everything turns out. AVGN still remains on top and I never heard about any dark stuff about him. While Doug? Well, you know best what's up with him. To sum it up. I still subscribe and watch AVGN, the entire TGWTG is long gone from my subscribe list.
There is nothing wrong with James Rolfe, but people around him such as Mike, Ryan and the Screenwave media guys are a complete shitshow.

Mertor

kiwifarms.net
There is nothing wrong with James Rolfe, but people around him such as Mike, Ryan and the Screenwave media guys are a complete shitshow.
Would you care to explain or are there any topics in that matter? I would gladly lead that and check if it even come close to what TGWTG pulled of.

Army Burger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Would you care to explain or are there any topics in that matter? I would gladly lead that and check if it even come close to what TGWTG pulled of.
I know there's some dislike towards the Screenwave dudes for how they've run things, but the only moment that's come close to the TGWTG shitshow was when Mike posted a dick pic on the Cinemassacre subreddit.

Mertor

kiwifarms.net
I know there's some dislike towards the Screenwave dudes for how they've run things, but the only moment that's come close to the TGWTG shitshow was when Mike posted a dick pic on the Cinemassacre subreddit.
Thanks for explanation^^. I didn't know about that.

Random Internet Person

If you can read this, Cloudflare is doing its job.
kiwifarms.net
On discussing cancelling Suburban Knights halfway through filming:

DOUG: "As a company, is that going to make us look bad?"
MICHAUD: "I don't think so. I think it'd be commendable that we're willing to admit our mistakes."

Beautiful.
You know, I went through this and watching some of it, I saw that there was a real chummy attitude behing the scenes of Surburban Knights. And even the duct tape thing was...something. Anyway here are some parts that stood out.

Like I said, Channel Awesome was like a family when it was at its peak. And well, the #ChangeTheChannel document paints something totally different if you ask me. That or To Boldly Flee cast a giant shadow on the other anniversaries since that was the one the doc went into detail about the most.