TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
You know, I went through this and watching some of it, I saw that there was a real chummy attitude behing the scenes of Surburban Knights. And even the duct tape thing was...something. Anyway here are some parts that stood out.

Like I said, Channel Awesome was like a family when it was at its peak. And well, the #ChangeTheChannel document paints something totally different if you ask me. That or To Boldly Flee cast a giant shadow on the other anniversaries since that was the one the doc went into detail about the most.
Given Doug forced a lot of scenes the other producers didn't want into the movie, was more self-fellating of Doug's ego compared to the other films, took itself way too seriously, and killed off the Critic without telling any of the other producers and wrote it in a way that made it so they should drop their shows too. I think there are a lot of reasons that they'd be slighted by To Boldly Flee more than the other anniversaries.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, that. I was wondering if anything happened from that. Like from what I see it didnt ruin his career.
Doug's doing fine. CTC didn't affect his popularity at all. He's just had the illusion of leading a big media empire stripped from him now that the CA website is barren except for him, Brad Jones and the pet actors they have pumping out side content to help create the illusion of life. The original "vision" of TGWTG is dead for good.

I'm sure that hurts him, but it's been known for years that Nostalgia Critic was the only thing pulling in enough dough to keep the lights on (that's why he brought it back) so business-wise it wasn't much of a hit to CA.

The Fresh Maker

kiwifarms.net
Doug's doing fine. CTC didn't affect his popularity at all. He's just had the illusion of leading a big media empire stripped from him now that the CA website is barren except for him, Brad Jones and the pet actors they have pumping out side content to help create the illusion of life. The original "vision" of TGWTG is dead for good.

I'm sure that hurts him, but it's been known for years that Nostalgia Critic was the only thing pulling in enough dough to keep the lights on (that's why he brought it back) so business-wise it wasn't much of a hit to CA.
If anything hurt Doug and CA, it was his "review" of The Wall.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
I hate to have to defend Doug but...

Doug still isn't funny but Home on the Range was a critical and commercial failure and essentially killed Disney's traditional animation (yeah, they did one more to go out on a high note but still-). Ask your average joe on the street to name a classic Disney film and they're gonna name something as obscure as The Black Cauldron or The Fox and The Hound before they remember Home on the Range even exists.

Doug's a whiny little bastard but he couldn't have picked a juicier target. It doesn't matter if you put your heart and soul into garbage, that doesn't change the fact that it's garbage.

Let's not overlook that as a profession, animators tend toward lolcow traits.
Given how he reacted to people criticizing his shitty movie, the co-director of Home on the Range sounds like most of the cows that are discussed on this site. And I somehow doubt that Doug’s criticism is the harshest the film has ever received. Poking through the guy’s Twitter and Facebook accounts show him to be a frothing Trump hater, going so far as to calling his former best friend/best man at his wedding worse than a Nazi.
94C2A8DD-C71F-48DE-B9E8-AF00C3C472A6.png
6544EAAC-DDF3-4262-AA83-06CF3137A419.png

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
I find it funny how Doug is being sponsored by RAID Shadow Legends when it's clear to absolutely no one that he probably never even played it at all (then again that could apply to almost anybody who is sponsored by them.)

EDIT: Checked how he did the ad and this is probably the most autistic ad for that game.

Army Burger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I find it funny how Doug is being sponsored by RAID Shadow Legends when it's clear to absolutely no one that he probably never even played it at all (then again that could apply to almost anybody who is sponsored by them.)

EDIT: Checked how he did the ad and this is probably the most autistic ad for that game.
Worse than his ad for Honey from the Pink Floyd's The Wall video?

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
Worse than his ad for Honey from the Pink Floyd's The Wall video?
Yes he is literally screaming around and doing a voice that sounds on par with Christian Weston Chandler along with randomly hitting the screen of an IPad while making dumb facial expressions.

• Horrifying
Reactions: BrunoMattei

NNewt84

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't expect anything less from (one of) Chicago's biggest autists.
Hmm, I dunno - he always gets facts wrong about niche fields of knowledge, which definitely screams neurotypical, since autists are the ones who memorise useless facts, while NTs are the ones who complain that schools teach about said useless facts instead of teaching important information like how to pay taxes.

Random Internet Person

If you can read this, Cloudflare is doing its job.
kiwifarms.net
If anything hurt Doug and CA, it was his "review" of The Wall.
And like #CTC, I’d say that it’d only cause a minor meltdown before things stabilize again.
Given Doug forced a lot of scenes the other producers didn't want into the movie, was more self-fellating of Doug's ego compared to the other films, took itself way too seriously, and killed off the Critic without telling any of the other producers and wrote it in a way that made it so they should drop their shows too. I think there are a lot of reasons that they'd be slighted by To Boldly Flee more than the other anniversaries.
Is that why the making of is just a bunch of interviews?

The Pink Panther

Get Sneed's Feed, Then You Get The Seed
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Given how he reacted to people criticizing his shitty movie, the co-director of Home on the Range sounds like most of the cows that are discussed on this site. And I somehow doubt that Doug’s criticism is the harshest the film has ever received. Poking through the guy’s Twitter and Facebook accounts show him to be a frothing Trump hater, going so far as to calling his former best friend/best man at his wedding worse than a Nazi.View attachment 1132471View attachment 1132472
I'm guessing this guy is really quick to anger when something inconveniences him. A bad temper, even.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
I'm guessing this guy is really quick to anger when something inconveniences him. A bad temper, even.
I have vague memories of him flipping his shit a decade ago on the Cartoon Brew forum when it was announced that Brenda Chapman was taken off of Brave. He used it as an opportunity to allude that he wasn’t treated with respect at Pixar when he worked as a storyboard artist on Toy Story 3. If this is representative of how he handles criticism, I can’t imagine why he didn’t thrive there.

iafiv

kiwifarms.net

To at least give some credit 'Con Air' sort of fits as a 'nostalgic' movie kind of.Its also from a time period when Doug was a teen so makes sense for him to review this.I'm surprised he didn't review it 10 years ago.

The Shadow

Last one in's a freemason!
kiwifarms.net
I never saw Home on the Range, but I've heard its not just bad, but completely unremarkable. I mean I hated The Black Cauldron, but at least I'm glad I saw it as a unique piece of Disney's animation history.

HOTR just looks so...bland.
The Black Cauldron is pretty much incoherent (not helped by Katzenberg taking the machete to it, but it had problems before that) but it does have some nice art in places and I have to say for as little as it mattered, John Hurt's voice with the Horned King's design really deserved a better movie. What a fucking waste.

• Agree
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Prestissimo

kiwifarms.net
Well... He still is aint he? Who is bigger than him now in that genre?
I assumed Doug was, in terms of popularity, since people talk about him more...

Actually, after doing a bit of research, it turns out Mr. Rolfe has more subs, at over 3 million, whereas Doug and his not-so-merry men have just barely passed 1 million. So... I guess I'll give you this one. But hey, at least it's a win for Team Rolfe! :biggrin:

Reactions: GloriousRapeRabbit