TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Random Internet Person

If you can read this, Cloudflare is doing its job.
kiwifarms.net
Man, I miss the good old days when James Rolfe (a.k.a. the Angry Video Game Nerd) was the Internet's top "angry reviewer" guy.
Well... He still is aint he? Who is bigger than him now in that genre?
I assumed Doug was, in terms of popularity, since people talk about him more...

Actually, after doing a bit of research, it turns out Mr. Rolfe has more subs, at over 3 million, whereas Doug and his not-so-merry men have just barely passed 1 million. So... I guess I'll give you this one. But hey, at least it's a win for Team Rolfe! :biggrin:
He was always the top guy. Even if his peak years have past and he’s putting the Nerd on the back burner, James Rolfe has always had Doug beat, and given #CTC, it’s only been further cemented.

Big Meaty Claws

What did you say, punk?!
kiwifarms.net
He was always the top guy. Even if his peak years have past and he’s putting the Nerd on the back burner, James Rolfe has always had Doug beat, and given #CTC, it’s only been further cemented.
This, unlike Doug, James doesn't resort to shitty tactics to keep a audience, or some kinda gimmick. If fact, I would argue that he is still at somewhat of a peak when it comes to content, especially when its just him and Mike chilling and playing a game, cause James is honestly a really nice guy who doesn't push it over the top like Doug.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
This, unlike Doug, James doesn't resort to shitty tactics to keep a audience, or some kinda gimmick. If fact, I would argue that he is still at somewhat of a peak when it comes to content, especially when its just him and Mike chilling and playing a game, cause James is honestly a really nice guy who doesn't push it over the top like Doug.
The reason is James doesn't think he's better than he actually is and isn't trying to escape the one thing his audience watches him for.

Big Meaty Claws

What did you say, punk?!
kiwifarms.net
It helps that James produces quality content outside of his AVGN character (arguably better content). Doug lives and dies by the Nostalgia Critic.
Completely agree, just look at every other serious attempt to get away from the Nostalgia Critic, only for it to go up in flames and have to stick to his only good (or used to be good) Character.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
It helps that James produces quality content outside of his AVGN character (arguably better content). Doug lives and dies by the Nostalgia Critic.
I think Doug doesn't understand the appeal of his character, or what his fans want and just relies so heavily on it because he knows the audience likes it, and that anything else he tries to make is hated.

Big Meaty Claws

What did you say, punk?!
kiwifarms.net
I think Doug doesn't understand the appeal of his character, or what his fans want and just relies so heavily on it because he knows the audience likes it, and that anything else he tries to make is hated.
Honestly its just his Ego that overrides everything, the man thinks hes gonna be the next big thing, so he has the idea that whatever he tries to do, will somehow turn to gold, even if the proof is so obvious.

The Pink Panther

Get Sneed's Feed, Then You Get The Seed
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I assumed Doug was, in terms of popularity, since people talk about him more...

Actually, after doing a bit of research, it turns out Mr. Rolfe has more subs, at over 3 million, whereas Doug and his not-so-merry men have just barely passed 1 million. So... I guess I'll give you this one. But hey, at least it's a win for Team Rolfe! :biggrin:
Yeah, but Doug has had his channel for fewer years. CA only recently moved to YT after Blip shutdown. I bet Doug would have more subs than James had he stayed on YT for 11 years or so.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: vector3

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Off.topic, but his avatar is from some Taito arcade game opening i believe *turns nerdglasses off*
Nah, it’s a metronome.
Yeah, but Doug has had his channel for fewer years. CA only recently moved to YT after Blip shutdown. I bet Doug would have more subs than James had he stayed on YT for 11 years or so.
And Doug only went to Blip because of copyright drama. It’s like Doug’s Internet career went full circle.

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
Completely agree, just look at every other serious attempt to get away from the Nostalgia Critic, only for it to go up in flames and have to stick to his only good (or used to be good) Character.
It's kind of funny and sad how he's clearly still bitter about Demo reel to the point where he's shoehorning in those unfunny skits in the NC reviews like a compromise between the two. (Even though clearly the people still around for the Nostalgia critic don't care about these skits.)

Reactions: Sekirodiealot

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
It's kind of funny and sad how he's clearly still bitter about Demo reel to the point where he's shoehorning in those unfunny skits in the NC reviews like a compromise between the two. (Even though clearly the people still around for the Nostalgia critic don't care about these skits.)
Why do you think The Wall exists?

• Agree
Reactions: Vapewizard