TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
I mean, I love Duckman. It was one of my favorite shows from that time period (I actually just rewatched it recently)...not sure I'd enjoy an NC video about it though.
The video itself is very bland and came off like Doug had never seen the show and was quoting a wikipedia article throughout. Whether this is the case or not, either way it doesn't reflect well on the video and comes off as lazy.

BigTubboWithLittleChina

Aqua Teenatic Jerkop
kiwifarms.net
I think there are a lot of reasons that they'd be slighted by To Boldly Flee more than the other anniversaries.
It was specifically the last straw for Phelous, wasn't it? If I remember right, he was advised to do deliberately shitty special effects by the Walkers to add to the parody feel or something, and then they promptly about-faced and said that they'd asked him for the best effects stuff he could do, and this was all that he could be arsed to come up with so they had to use it. Phelous certainly became very salty about CA all of a sudden, outright dismissive of To Boldly Flee in at least one review, and struck out on his own soon afterwards.

Last edited:

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
The video itself is very bland and came off like Doug had never seen the show and was quoting a wikipedia article throughout. Whether this is the case or not, either way it doesn't reflect well on the video and comes off as lazy.
It felt like Doug was easily amazed and was thinking the show is a super clever masterpiece that is responsible for today's adult animated shows.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
I like Duckman too but you've gotta be honest, it was one of a number of shows trying to ride the comet's trail blazed by the Simpsons, it just happened to be better than the other also-rans (fish police, I'm looking at you). If Doug had actually watched through the show he could've mentioned a number of interesting parallels between it and the Simpsons. Like how it was animated by the same studio that originally animated the Simpsons, how Homer and Bart both make cameos in different episodes. Hell even the funny fact that it's Frank Zappa's kid who voices Ajax. This "review" was like Cliff's notes version of a Wikipedia article.

Beard_Chan

kiwifarms.net
Everytime I see Doug Walker come up, all the talk and drama is usually those all around him. He still seems pretty solid even in 2020. Channel Awesome still gets good views. His jokes/skits can be cringy but his breakdowns of shows / movies still holds up I think. I'm not 100% up to date on all his happenings maybe hes a much bigger piece of shit than I think, but just breezing through this initial post here and checking up on his recent stuff he doesn't seem that bad...

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I saw the Duckman vid.

I'll give him credit in this one way. This didn't feel like a shameless ploy for clicks. The last few years or so, NC has sadly been riding trends in a lousy attempt to stay relevant, so it didn't even feel like he was being honest anymore. He was just going to where the trends take him.

However, nobody makes a Duckman video for clicks as barely anybody remembers it, so I feel like he really did watch and enjoy the show in his youth and just wanted to briefly talk about it. I don't doubt the intent behind the video.

The video itself? Yeah, its a cliff notes version of the show that I would expect anybody talking about Duckman to make. He talked about the exact episodes I would have expected anyone to cover with minimal prep work. So I guess if you know NOTHING about the show, its a fine introduction to it. But for someone like me that has watched it in its entirety twice over, there's nothing here and certainly no unique perspective on it.

The Fresh Maker

kiwifarms.net
So what are the odds of him doing a clipless review of the Sonic movie?
If he does that, I can already see it being The Wall 2.0. Remember, he said that garbage anus of a model from the original trailer was actually appealing on some level and that Paramount taking the time to fix it made the movie "less interesting".

TheShortWaveCerealKiller

The Broner with a Boner
kiwifarms.net
He was always the top guy. Even if his peak years have past and he’s putting the Nerd on the back burner, James Rolfe has always had Doug beat, and given #CTC, it’s only been further cemented.
Because James will and always has been 100% more professional than Doug EVER was. Think about it, James has never put himself in a situation where he would be screwed over or he can't get out of. He's been making movies, commercials, videos way WAY before AVGN was even a thing, through that he gained experience in what and what not to do. Especially if you're trying to build a reputation. Doug never got this, he never went through the learning phases that James had to, thus never learning how to function in that circle. Its the same thing I said about ALL TWGTG contributors. They all feel like college students stuck in that mindset even in their 30s' They dont mature or grow only regress and stagnate. That is Doug in a nutshell. A college kid who made it big without having to understand what to do once you're there.

Reactions: I Love Beef

Jetman

kiwifarms.net
Wow, this is yet another instance of the Walkers just not fully understanding the source material. They're apparently unaware that Sonic games are still being made. Like, anyone even remotely familiar with Sonic will at least know SEGA still makes games for it. You have to be living under a rock to think that.

Also, leave it to Doug to remind us that he utterly despises Pokemon 24/7. Like, I get Detective Pikachu wasn't a perfect movie, but it definitely was a hit with the fanbase. Doug just can't seem to get the fact that "simple fun" movies can both exist and be popular. Chris Stuckmann said it best; "This is a movie that's very easy to pick apart if you're looking to do that." Stuckmann correctly assumed that people like the Walkers and CinemaSins will bash this movie based on very simple standalone nitpicks that can be easily overlooked.

I can't wait to see the backlash the eventual clipless review will get.

The Fresh Maker

kiwifarms.net
Wow, this is yet another instance of the Walkers just not fully understanding the source material. They're apparently unaware that Sonic games are still being made. Like, anyone even remotely familiar with Sonic will at least know SEGA still makes games for it. You have to be living under a rock to think that.

Also, leave it to Doug to remind us that he utterly despises Pokemon 24/7. Like, I get Detective Pikachu wasn't a perfect movie, but it definitely was a hit with the fanbase. Doug just can't seem to get the fact that "simple fun" movies can both exist and be popular. Chris Stuckmann said it best; "This is a movie that's very easy to pick apart if you're looking to do that." Stuckmann correctly assumed that people like the Walkers and CinemaSins will bash this movie based on very simple standalone nitpicks that can be easily overlooked.

I can't wait to see the backlash the eventual clipless review will get.
Yeah this video more or less proves how uneducated they are when it comes to Sonic. They missed how the mushroom world was a reference to Sonic & Knuckles amd just assumed it was a Mario reference.

Jetman

kiwifarms.net
Yeah this video more or less proves how uneducated they are when it comes to Sonic. They missed how the mushroom world was a reference to Sonic & Knuckles amd just assumed it was a Mario reference.
Doug's only real knowledge comes from the 90's cartoons. Rob said a better idea was to have the humans go into Sonic's world, even though that is literally just the latter half of Sonic X.

Last edited: