TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

Hazel Motes

"I can smell the sin on your breath"
kiwifarms.net
He does bring up an interesting question though: what was the video that made you quit NC. For me it was the Wall. I’d already stopped watching his content regularly and was viewing less and less of it as time went on but the Wall marked the point that I stopped watching for good. Haven’t watched an NC episode in months.
Had to be when Blip died. I realised how much I had been getting into a routine of just watching him to kill time. It wasn't like AVGN who I followed for Monster Madness which I used to watch constantly. Doug started to come across like a apathetic gimmick than anything else.

Icarus B. Nezzer

kiwifarms.net
what was the video that made you quit NC
To be honest, if he made more videos like "The Wall" review, I'd keep watching just for the trainwreck. Otherwise, most of his reviews start to blend together after a while, and I left around 2015 because I was just bored of it. I can't tell you what review made me stop watching, because I legit forgot. It was some movie I never heard of and had no real connection with that make me realize how little I cared about Doug's review style on it's own. All CTC did was promote my stance from "passively ignoring" to "actively avoiding."

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be honest, if he made more videos like "The Wall" review, I'd keep watching just for the trainwreck. Otherwise, most of his reviews start to blend together after a while, and I left around 2015 because I was just bored of it. I can't tell you what review made me stop watching, because I legit forgot. It was some movie I never heard of and had no real connection with that make me realize how little I cared about Doug's review style on it's own. All CTC did was promote my stance from "passively ignoring" to "actively avoiding."
I still wouldn't watch Doug but that would mean more cringe compilation videos which I would watch.

Army Burger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He does bring up an interesting question though: what was the video that made you quit NC. For me it was the Wall. I’d already stopped watching his content regularly and was viewing less and less of it as time went on but the Wall marked the point that I stopped watching for good. Haven’t watched an NC episode in months.
It was his Alice in Wonderland 2010 review for me. At some point, I just thought "what am I doing with my life" and exited out of the video. Haven't been a regular watcher in 6 years now.

Chamulum

kiwifarms.net
Sailor Moon. He had no knowledge of anime as a medium or the show as a whole. Hell, he even reviewed the English DIC dub and not the original Japanese audio. The consistent complaining about the transformation scenes really bugged me. I know he has to shit out vids every 2 weeks but a 5 second google search would fix a LOT of the entry level critiques he has with the stuff he reviews.

Army Burger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sailor Moon. He had no knowledge of anime as a medium or the show as a whole. Hell, he even reviewed the English DIC dub and not the original Japanese audio. The consistent complaining about the transformation scenes really bugged me. I know he has to shit out vids every 2 weeks but a 5 second google search would fix a LOT of the entry level critiques he has with the stuff he reviews.
Doug's intentional misunderstanding of things is the worst part of his videos.

Mysterious Girlfriend X

私の涎は甘い…
kiwifarms.net
If I remember correctly, his excuse for that review was that he just said what he thought people wanted to hear. I don't know if that's more or less embarrassing than him being sincere, but it really says a lot that Doug thinks his audience wants to listen to him get angry at Sailor Moon for making him think of sex.

Army Burger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I remember correctly, his excuse for that review was that he just said what he thought people wanted to hear. I don't know if that's more or less embarrassing than him being sincere, but it really says a lot that Doug thinks his audience wants to listen to him get angry at Sailor Moon for making him think of sex.
I guess Sailor Moon has got those boom anime babes that make him think the wrong things.

Orion Balls

Sorry Wendy, I love my hat girl.
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I really don't think audiences give a crap about Lola Bunny anymore, if they ever did. She was clearly added just to fulfill some arbitrary gender quota, when plenty of other media beforehand had plenty of female representation. She was pointless and unnecessary.
Gadget was a quirky yet brilliant engineer. Penny was the true detective behind her bumbling Uncle Inspector. Officer Maza and Demona were uniquely independent and strong. There are other examples, but you know what I'm saying.

I had plenty of representation. There was no need for some female rabbit with no personality to be good at basketball in that movie. But, it didn't feel any more pandering than the rest of the movie, which made a big deal about Jordan's baseball career. The soundtrack is still great, though.

E- I'm pretty sure Lola was the only one on the team who knew the fundamentals of basketball, other than Jordan. She got on the team by actually knowing what she was doing. So, I guess I shouldn't discount her so much.

Last edited:

Random Internet Person

Panzer Vor, motherfuckers!
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I really don't think audiences give a crap about Lola Bunny anymore, if they ever did. She was clearly added just to fulfill some arbitrary gender quota, when plenty of other media beforehand had plenty of female representation. She was pointless and unnecessary.
E- I'm pretty sure Lola was the only one on the team who knew the fundamentals of basketball, other than Jordan. She got on the team by actually knowing what she was doing. So, I guess I shouldn't discount her so much.
I'm pretty sure nobody cared about Lola after Space Jam. Not even WB.

Orion Balls

Sorry Wendy, I love my hat girl.
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure nobody cared about Lola after Space Jam. Not even WB.
She apparently ended up a member the main cast of their franchise for awhile, or at least had a major side character role. Her last "role" was in 2015. So, that's nine years. And why am I suddenly defending a character I loathed in my teens?

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
Oh God. Remember when he stopped the video to virtue signal a bunch of "Japan R acshully pedoz, guiz!" bullshit? A lot of projection there, Doug. The fuck never bothered to mention Sailor Moon was created by a woman, either out of stupidity or willfull omission.

NNewt84

kiwifarms.net
Gadget was a quirky yet brilliant engineer. Penny was the true detective behind her bumbling Uncle Inspector. Officer Maza and Demona were uniquely independent and strong. There are other examples, but you know what I'm saying.
Still, I don't get this feminist obsession with female characters being "independent and strong". Like, nobody ever says that about male characters, like Bugs Bunny or Bart Simpson.

"Man, Dipper is such a strong, independent male character! He doesn't need a woman to help him discover the secrets of Gravity Falls!"

... Honestly, I feel bad for girls, knowing this is the reality they have to deal with in these discussions.

Oh God. Remember when he stopped the video to virtue signal a bunch of "Japan R acshully pedoz, guiz!" bullshit? A lot of projection there, Doug. The fuck never bothered to mention Sailor Moon was created by a woman, either out of stupidity or willfull omission.
While I agree with the overall point that Doug was a projecting pedophilic idiot in his review, I really don't think "she was created by a woman" is a good argument to support that. Like... you know women can be pedophiles too, right? I'm not saying the creator of Sailor Moon is one; I'm just saying her being a woman has nothing to do with whether she sexualised the underage protagonist or not.

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net
Being The No-talent Critic, it’s just simple ignorance, as usual.
I'm not surprised. This was the place that accepted Hope Harry Chapman. It's no wonder how that manblob and Doug worked together in the same place before she fucked her way into ANN, which has pretty much the same perspective.

I actually gave Doug many chances until shitcanning my interest on him and TGWTG immediately after his temporary retirement. 2013 turned out to be a big payoff there on out.

Odets

kiwifarms.net
I had plenty of representation. There was no need for some female rabbit with no personality to be good at basketball in that movie
I think you're overcomplicating things and being too deep into stw rabbit hole. Don't forget that when you invent the character you get revenue for every toy and every future appearance across all the media and being able to attach something to Looney Tunes is a golden opportunity. Plus Lola definitely didn't failed, she had future appearances in several cartoons.