TGWTG "Nostalgia Critic" / Doug Walker, Rob Walker, Mike Michaud, Mike Ellis, Holly Christine Brown, et al - The Incompetent Predator-Protecting Upper Management of Channel Awesome, Doug Still Not That Funny

• DDoS is active again.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looks like CA is doing shorts. Do shorts even do well on Youtube? Is Youtube just trying to copy the success that TikTok has gained by just having short videos?
I think they work as a semi -preview of what the channel is about if you don’t know them. They seem to catch on fairly well, though nothing massive.

Kinda reminds me of Bum Reviews in a way.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The worst part is he's never going to evolve or change, because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The part that makes me cringe is that he's so lost in nostalgia (ironically). He never talks about adult things or things you discover later in life. It's always the same shit from the 80's/90's and it's rarely ever adult shit from that time. Brad will talk about Caligula, fucked up horror movies and all that. Doug is just developmentally arrested with bullshit from his childhood and has to almost always talk about something relating to that even beyond clickbait bullshit.

Insert clip of the Comic Book Guy going "Oh, I wasted my life." Clip here.

teriyakiburns

I benefit from the Mr. Potato Head syndrome.
kiwifarms.net
Looks like CA is doing shorts. Do shorts even do well on Youtube? Is Youtube just trying to copy the success that TikTok has gained by just having short videos?
Shorts aren't monetised, but as long as they fit the criteria, youtube promotes them hard. They're pitched as a way to promote your channel with bite-sized content.

JamesFargo

saying "Oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
Does even Doug deserve such punishment?
Maybe he'll be so emotionally scarred that he retires.

But seriously, who cares? From Foodfight! to Battlefield: Earth, he is always late to the party with his bad movie reviews, and he's always the least-funny of the bunch.

More to the point: Ever since Demo Reel bombed, he's turned into a completely formulaic character: a nostalgia act (irony) who plays the old hits again and again. We already know what the Critic going to say about a movie before he says it. Doug is probably reviewing Cats because his simps keep requesting it.

In the Air of the Night

Crazy Bunny Archivist.
kiwifarms.net
Is Youtube just trying to copy the success that TikTok has gained by just having short videos?
This sounds like you are implying that TikTok "invented" the cringy short video format (which existed way before). YouTube can do well on its own (on some occasions) but like other companies, they like to steal adopt some features so that they can be trendy or keep up with the times. It's like when Facebook added hashtags or redesign the site to look like Twitter.

Also, Doug made short videos before he became the critic.