Notch banned from Minecraft anniversary event due to wrongthink

Xerxes IX

New cat, who this?
kiwifarms.net
On one hand, Notch really likes to get into the shit with people on Twitter, so from a PR perspective I can kinda get wanting to distance yourself away from the guy who will bait about shit like Jews.

On the other hand, removing any mention of him from the game he created is kinda, well, y'know...
But the people cheering this love communism, they'd take it as a compliment and a sign they're doing the right thing.

Shit sucks but I'm not surprised. Most big companies are all about optics and somewhere along the line that turned into "cucking to Twitter troons"

Clop

kiwifarms.net
I get that I'm supposed to be super mad that a big company's pissing on a popular creator, but I've hated his guts for years for getting lucky with a rip-off coded on fucking Java of all things and pissing about around all his other projects. I'm not calling him a lazy creator that just got lucky, I'm saying he strikes me as the type and I've never seen anything to the contrary. Even during Minecraft's most heated development (when they could be fucking bothered) the person that got the most shit done was reportedly Jeb.

That said it's still a dick move to act like Microsoft's cash cow is now too good for the guy who birthed it in the first place.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They own it they can do what they want

lol this.
he sold the game to them, he forfeit all rights to it and anything related to it.
MS runs on PR like any other company, if someone associated with your newly-acquired IP is actively antagonizing people on social media (I don't care right they are), it's bad PR. You guys are having a tantrum over an organism defending itself in a hostile environment. No matter how shitty MS' PR department is, if they lose money over it, those shitty PR people aren't going to get fired over the company under-performing in the market, the cool guys in the back offices slaving away on their computers are.

Meh. Microsoft's always been shit. They're anti-competitive anti-OSS

Yeah, Microsoft is extremely anti-open source, I don't think there's a single instance of them enabling open source projects, especially not 80 pages worth of github projects.

Do you think we're living in the 90s still?

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
At the end of the day the only weapon these types can deploy with any consistency is silence. Cultural Commissars HAD to do SOMETHING about Notch and we all knew they would eventually. It was just a question of how, because he already had the Fuck-You money. This bit of literal erasure is pretty much the only thing they could hit him with at this point. Kick the man right in his legacy.
I hope some enterprising young coders mod our good Notch back into his autism simulator. His removal is a cultural crime.

Recoil

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Making Minecraft was a cultural crime.
It is what it is and I'm no fan myself, but his effect on millions of people can't be denied and should not be written out of history because the wrong people got offended by a tweet. A tweet should not outweigh all that work and time.

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's Linus Torvalds all over again...

UngaWunga

Time Vampire
kiwifarms.net
It is what it is and I'm no fan myself, but his effect on millions of people can't be denied and should not be written out of history because the wrong people got offended by a tweet. A tweet should not outweigh all that work and time.
Being an asshole on Twitter was the first thing Notch ever did to make everyone stop loving him.

(Though I admit even shitheads like Notch deserve credit. They should put his name back in but put it on the box and title screen so people know to avoid it)

Cultural crime is a bit ritch though.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Not getting invited to a party is rewriting history?
I mean, he's still in the credits, still on wikipedia, the history is still there. All they removed was one splash text among like hundreds of different splash texts on the title screen.
Aren't you overreacting to this a little? You almost sound like an angry twitter user yourself.

Actually, let me rewrite this thread in a way you guys understand:
"omg they LITERALLY MURDERED notch!"
"it's time to deplatform microsoft! reweet so history NEVER forgets"

Last edited:

Recoil

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not getting invited to a party is rewriting history?
I mean, he's still in the credits, still on wikipedia, the history is still there. All they removed was one splash text among like hundreds of different splash texts on the title screen.
Aren't you overreacting to this a little? You almost sound like an angry twitter user yourself.
I'm sorry, maybe I'm getting this wrong, but I read he had a character in the game that's been removed. Even if it's just his name in the credits, it's part of a trend in media that rubs me wrong. I didn't consider the party in my reply and tbh I wouldn't want him at my party either. I'm not defending him so much as a-logging the concept of removing credit for controversial people. We saw this with Vic, too - his credits got dropped on itunes/amazon, right in time for him to get sandbagged. There's plenty of reasons to believe this sorta thing is gonna happen more often and we should call it out on an individual basis, even when we don't like the ppl involved.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
I'm sorry, maybe I'm getting this wrong, but I read he had a character in the game that's been removed. Even if it's just his name in the credits, it's part of a trend in media that rubs me wrong. I didn't consider the party in my reply and tbh I wouldn't want him at my party either. I'm not defending him so much as a-logging the concept of removing credit for controversial people. We saw this with Vic, too - his credits got dropped on itunes/amazon, right in time for him to get sandbagged. There's plenty of reasons to believe this sorta thing is gonna happen more often and we should call it out on an individual basis, even when we don't like the ppl involved.
Basically how I feel, Notch himself is a turbosperg, but I’m not happy with this trend of sweeping controversial contributors under the rug for the sake of optics. It’s like the shit with Plummer and Spacey with “All the Money in the World”, sure Scott might’ve originally wanted him instead of Spacey, hell he might’ve even been a better fit, but you know damn well the studio only allowed him to do it for the sake of optics and PR, not because they respected Scott’s creative decisions or because they actually felt sympathy for Spacey’s victims.

Or a recent gaming example, Judgement where they both replaced the villain’s seiyuu and changed his likeness to match the new seiyuu’s because the original one got caught with coke by cops. Granted, this is a tad more sympathetic since this is a criminal offense and not an ideological offense

But yeah, it’s not Notch I care about, I think he’s a fucking moron, it’s more the fact that these companies would rather do damage control and sweep shit under the rug rather than admit that they or someone associated with them fucked up

Last edited by a moderator:

Takodachi

Glory to Takokind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh right, Minecraft is still a ... thing, i guess? I mean, seriously, how many people attending minecraft-con nowadays know who Notch is? -Aside from the autists attending- Do you think kids would ask for Notch's autograph? the thing was sold before 70% of the current Minecraft playerbase was even born.

Plus, hes got a lot of "fuck you" money, I'm sure hes glad he doesnt have to deal with their bullshit and can keep shitting on troons.

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They were still up to their blatantly anti-OSS bullshit as late as 2010, dude. Suddenly doing a 180 when it's politically apt (and conveniently extending their tendrils into more markets) doesn't mean they've suddenly seen the light and embraced open source.

Wake me when they've put their money where their mouth is and open-sourced Windows or Office.

Ali della Fenice

Tigrotto mafioso
kiwifarms.net
But doncha know, MS doesn’t censor like Sony, so they’re automatically gudgoys despite both SIE and MS Studios being centered in California and likely having just as many numales and dangerhairs with liberal arts degrees in it as SIE.

Edit: MS is actually in WA state, which is still a Democrat shithole full of dangerhairs, so no big deal

The only reason ms doesnt censor is because they dont get those games at all.
Back during the 360 days, they had asked some niche devs to censor their weeb games or else they wouldnt be released on their platform.
Plus they put a feminist in charge of halo, so it is no surprise.

UngaWunga

Time Vampire
kiwifarms.net
Fucking feminists censoring the titties in "Little Sister Maid Simulator". I heard they took out the entire subquest where you have to find a Plan B pill for her before she changes her mind.

Devilish Tyrant

kiwifarms.net
I actually went to the first minecon event way back in 2011 in Las Vegas. I remember they had a set timeframe you could stand in line to meet notch and have him sign a mousepad. Outside of that he seemed incredibly secluded and during most of the event was no where to be seen. I've also observed him (despite having billions of dollars) still spending a decent bit of time just chatting with twitch streamers and randomly donate flexing.. so I doubt he really cares that much about something like this.
minecon-day-one.png