Disaster Notre Dame cathedral burns down - Suspicious hunchbacked individual reported to have fled the scene

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
I know there's a lot of historic types saying that Notre Dame's been damaged pretty badly before and has come back fine from it. Except, it hasn't, has it? Each time something of the original structure was damaged, it was a piece of art history lost. You can rebuild as much as you want, and it may look similar to the original, but it's now a frankenstein of past and present, and loses a bit of its ancestry, which spans hundreds of years. That's not even to touch upon the fact that, yeah, you can rebuild it "better", but of course you can - it's the 21st century. The original structure was completed in the 13th century, and they didn't have a fraction of what we have today, yet created this beautiful structure; that's something that's always made me awestruck and why it feels a bit cheap to hear "Well, it will be rebuilt". I'm not visiting the fucking Cathedral of Notre Dame to see 21st-century recreation art.

Sorry to mad on the internet. My art history autism has been peeking out.
It's the Ship of Theseus dilema. A lot of ancient heritage of the world are a fraction of the original, but the idea is tradition is passed on from evoking pride in the craft to continue and create new future heritage, and the restored parts eventually become heritage, too.

Unfortunately, if you've seen contemporary French architecture, you can't help but feel pessimistic.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
I see all the edgelords coming out today to gloat and the conspiratards tarding, as they do.

Hate to break it to everyone but sparks from an acetylene torch can smolder for a long time before igniting into open flame. Or an overloaded circuit for some worklights. Anyways, it is highly likely that this was caused by the construction works and not malice. Hopefully this results in some changes in policy regarding refurbishment of World Heritage Sites. Increased security, firewatches, and the like.

boulderblundermatt90

kiwifarms.net
bitch doesn't realize it was home and sanctuary to far more than just 'white men'. people of several nations saw safety there.

fuck her.

note: going to make a note here instead of just post something more but i'm specifically talking about gypsy's, the hunting and killing of which absolutely happened. mind you, these gypsy's were asians, arabs, blacks, and everything in between including whites.

so saying "glad it burned down" is, in sjw-speak, saying "glad we terrorized minorities".

Last edited:

BillyGoat2

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I see all the edgelords coming out today to gloat and the conspiratards tarding, as they do.

Hate to break it to everyone but sparks from an acetylene torch can smolder for a long time before igniting into open flame. Or an overloaded circuit for some worklights. Anyways, it is highly likely that this was caused by the construction works and not malice. Hopefully this results in some changes in policy regarding refurbishment of World Heritage Sites. Increased security, firewatches, and the like.
either way we might never know. the official story will be either "work place accident" or less likely, blamed on the yellow vests. There will be little way to know the truth for sure.

VacuousSpooder

Spider Baby So Pure
kiwifarms.net
To be optimistic, and quote Terry Pratchett:
Oh I know. I know so much of the cathedral had already been replaced/restored before now. But it was still long before my lifetime that things were restored, you know? Future generations might not care that half of Notre Dame was a 21st century transplant, but for our generation, even being a hodge-podge of different centuries after it's original construction holds its own history for us. (As I'm sure it did for the generations before ours that had to watch the same happen)

Крыса

там хорошо, где меня нет
kiwifarms.net
What a bummer to lose such a historic building.
Also, I'm willing to bet there was a shitload of asbestos in there that is now all over the place nearby.
F
Asbestos in a 12th century cathedral? :story: I mean there's a ton of that stuff in mid 20th buildings but no not in Notre-Dame

First pics from the inside :

That's one big hole in the vault...
But the inside on the ground floor seems mostly alright ? there's rumble but it was just benches in that area and the fire hasn't spread there so that's good news. There will be some water damage though for sure too.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://twitter.com/DamienRieu/status/1117852138531479552/video/1

Apparently Muslims were dancing in the street to celebrate the burning of the Cathedral.
Asbestos in a 12th century cathedral? :story: I mean there's a ton of that stuff in mid 20th buildings but no not in Notre-Dame

View attachment 727174View attachment 727176
View attachment 727179
But the inside on the ground floor seems mostly alright ? there's rumble but it was just benches in that area and the fire hasn't spread there so that's good news. There will be some water damage though for sure too.
There's no way that roof would have lasted since the 12th century. They made roofing tile out of asbestos.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 727174View attachment 727176
View attachment 727179
That's honestly amazing to me. I mean there's now a bunch more restoration needed, but I was afraid it would collapse inward and fall to pieces.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I went and checked, the tiles were made of lead, not great either but I don't think it produces dust it probably just melted down
Wow...I'm not sure which would be worse, tbh.
At least lead could potentially be reclaimed and is worth something.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net

You would think when renovating something of such incalculable value posting a fire guard would be routine.

Which reminds me of the US Army. Every barracks where soldiers sleep is required to have two soldiers on permanent fire guard. This dates back to the days when there were actual hearths to keep the place warm and the open flames actually presented a grave danger. Especially when you add in black powder firearms. I hazard a guess there was some spectacular fires back in the day. Centuries later they still post fire guards in the "current year". Cuz you never know. And also traditions/finding things for Privates to do.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Крыса

там хорошо, где меня нет
kiwifarms.net
That's honestly amazing to me. I mean there's now a bunch more restoration needed, but I was afraid it would collapse inward and fall to pieces.
Yeah the vault seems to have hold up quite well, at least for now. Insane vids from near the north tower :

isnt this a level in dark souls 3
Haha yeah a lot of DS and Bloodborne architecture is pretty much a copy of actual gothic architecture

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino