Novelizations and Tie-In Books - Yes, really

littlearmalite

-SPEND THESE THIRTY HOURS GETTING FREAKAAAY
kiwifarms.net
I just find it funny that the prequel novelizations came out a month or so before the movie, TFA's novelization came out the same day as the movie, and both TLJ and ROS came out months after the movies to try and spackle some of the plot holes in both movies.
It's almost as if the sequels aren't as good as the prequels... wait...

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Bioshock: Rapture is good and worth reading if you're a fan of Bioshock.

It details the game's backstory, you learn more about Andrew Ryan's past and why he built Rapture, including something I remember reading in a preview of the game but was never conveyed in the game itself and that's that Ryan built Rapture not just because he was dissatisfied with how society was run but because he was convinced nuclear war was imminent and Rapture was to serve as one great big fallout shelter.

You learn more backstory about most of the game's major characters in fact, it also touches on an interesting idea I wish you saw in the actual game and that's experimentations with Plasmids leading to mutations even greater than the Splicers.

The only issue is the novel was delayed to add in elements from Bioshock 2, which not only stick out like a sore thumb, but now put the novel's canon status in questionability because I believe Bioshock Infinite's Burial At Sea DLC retcons a lot of stuff from 2 out.

But the stuff from 2 is fairly easy to ignore and it's still worth reading for the extra backstory on the first game.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh yeah, I remember another one. Did you know that the novelization of "Gremlins" had some backstory on Gizmo and his home planet, and how mogwais are so cosmically wise that only a few inscrutable orientals can begin to understand them?

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh yeah, I remember another one. Did you know that the novelization of "Gremlins" had some backstory on Gizmo and his home planet, and how mogwais are so cosmically wise that only a few inscrutable orientals can begin to understand them?
I recall a guy I knew telling me about how a shitcanned ET sequel got a novel, something about plant space ships

AnaV

Unavailable for a long, long time.
kiwifarms.net
I recall a guy I knew telling me about how a shitcanned ET sequel got a novel, something about plant space ships
This one?
DC41531A-EB20-4582-9E25-6165ED22E53B.jpeg

Edit: Read it a long time ago, ET is a licensed botanist.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
So the Gremlins are extraterrestrials? I don't really like that idea.

Bioshock: Rapture was a really good tie-in that adds a lot of information about the setting.
It's been 9 years since I read it, so my memory isn't super clear, but I want to say it even goes into detail about how they built the city and stuff, just a lot of interesting backstory.

Johan Schmidt

kiwifarms.net
I have no idea if they have novelizations but I can tell you without the shadow of a doubt that all of them, if they exist, will be shit.

How do you surpass the Vader monologue from the end of ROTS?

"You remember the dragon that you brought Vader forth from your heart to slay. You remember the cold venom in Vader's blood. You remember the furnace of Vader's fury, and the black hatred of seizing her throat to silence her lying mouth—and there is one blazing moment in which you finally understand that there was no dragon. That there was no Vader. That there was only you. Only Anakin Skywalker."

"That it was all you. Is you. Only you."

"You did it. You killed her."

"You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were only thinking about yourself... it is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith—because now your self is all you will ever have."

I'd like to see them TRY to pull anything this meaningful from fucking Rise of Skywalker
Best part of the novelisation of ROTS was when Anakin was fifty/fifty on killing the kids, and considered saving them; but then one called him master Skywalker and he flipped the fuck out at the reminder that he wasn't a Master and just went ham on a bunch of children.

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
I owned the novelization of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie as a kid

I regret nothing
Was it better or worse than the ol' Sean Connery career killer? I know it didn't so much kill his career as get him to decide to retire, which is technically a different thing, but there's not a way to say that that's as snappy and concise.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
This will sounds odd, but hear me out.
Remover that bad movie After Earth that Will Smith and Shyamalan made? It got a mobilization. But somehow, through the grace of God, it was actually a really good book.
The characters had better backstories, the world had more depth, and there was even some short stories at the end of the book that were really good, including one that I count as one of the best takes on “a man who has no fear” I’ve seen in a while.
Honestly, I’d recommend it to anyone who enjoys sci-fi.

Tags
None