[November 2019] The Pokémon Sword scamthrough - DSP plays Pokémon Sword while people pay money to name his Pokémon

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Comma

kiwifarms.net
Starting tomorrow, Friday November 15th, 2019, DSP will be playing Pokémon Sword. If he can get the money for the game, that is, because he's moaning about only having enough to buy one of the two games he wants to play tomorrow (Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Pokémond Sword) as we speak.

Anway... I decided to make a separate thread for this game since DSP is planning on going hardcore shill-mode while playing it by letting people name multiple Pokémon in exchange for contributions: cheers, tips and maybe even other means (who the fuck knows anymore what he'll come up with, right?). This whole thing has a fair chance of ending up as something with decent point-finger-and-laugh value, so it'll be easier to archive stuff in a single thread and find it again in the future, if needed.

DSP explaining The Scam:

Also, as suggested by (one of) his mods, he's also planning on implementing a system where viewers can spend Channel Points (called 'Penne Points' on DSP's channel) to, for example, choose a Pokémon he then has to play with. Or something. He hasn't figured out how this will work exactly or how many Penne Points it will cost to do things like this. Yes, a day before he's supposed to be playing the game... Well, at least it can't be worse than him ignoring literally 90% of all chat posts that are highlighted by Penne Points. Right? Right...?

DSP explaining the Penne Points implementation:

I've never played a Pokémon game ever (pls, be gentle), so I'm in no way an expert on this, but the game has received a fair amount of criticism for:

- not having all Pokémon
- being a copy-paste game (re-used Pokémon models)
- the developer lying about the copy-pasting

So yeah, all the ingredients are here:

- DSP and his vortex of autism
- a Japanese video game/anime (with some controversy attached to it)
- plans for a juicy scam throughout the whole playthrough
- a (seemingly) ham-fisted implementation of Penne Points that's supposed to directly influence gameplay

Or... maybe it will be boring as fuck. It's still DSP we're talking about here. I guess we'll find out soon enough. :stress:

Last edited:

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
I think he'll be in full on grifting mode, catching everything he can so he can "auction" off the naming rights. I might be mistaken because I haven't followed too much of the news, but I believe they're sticking with the "rename/switch party members whenever you want" mechanics from the last game. I have a feeling Phil is going to take full advantage of this and slow the gameplay to a halt, even by his standards, to constantly auction off names/party slots.

I'd also guess, despite the constant name/party shenanigans, he'll just brute force the game with his starter, so it is completely meaningless who is even in his party. The games tend to be easy enough where this strategy works fine, though I wouldn't be surprised if even Phil manages to mess that up and produce some salt, but I wouldn't expect too much, at least from gameplay alone. Story wise, things are generally pretty linear and simplistic. It is designed for kids to get through with minimal difficulty, so I imagine Phil will for sure struggle at points, but not as much as with other games.

If it weren't for the possibility of so many auctions, I'd guess it would end up being an unremarkable and completely boring playthrough. Since there's really not a lot of story to comment on, Pokemon playthroughs really rely on the personality of the streamer, who can generally fill the silence by talking about the mechanics or their history with the series.

I think the only possible thing of interest would be chat getting bitter about the auction stuff. Normally, when actual characters are named versus random buildings or whatever in Minecraft, people get a little more invested to the character. See any Darkest Dungeon or X-Com stream. If Phil is forced to constantly swap his party and ends up with underleveled/subpar Pokemon, he'll likely complain about them sucking, which may make the invested pigs feel personally insulted. But, we've seen Phil directly insult paypigs before and have them throw even more money at him to try and earn his favor, so I'm not holding my breath. I figured it was at least worth acknowledging since I'm expecting waaay more auction scams than his Minecraft stuff. I could also see Phil potentially getting pissy if his paypigs end up throwing too much money away on early auctions and the later ones don't get the same amount of contributions.

shekelshoah666

kiwifarms.net
The game has tons of issues and is built perfectly for DSP to steam roll it and have a good time. Very easy difficulty, massive handholding, large amounts of level boosting items, always on EXP share to level his whole party at same time and generally underleveled trainers will probably make this a ~20 hour playthrough for DSP unless he spends too much time changing names.

This could be peak grift like @Cyber Bowling says and you can change names at any pokemon center so he could potentially allow people to come over the top at each pokemon center if he wanted to. He could make this into the biggest begging stream yet if he plays his cards right but we all know he will fuck it up. His ideal situation is probably one of his furry fans or whatever fetish really like a pokemon he is using and they get into a constant bidding war at every pokemon center with another fan to rename it.

Wurstbrot

This was my depression
kiwifarms.net
I see several streamers playing it already. These a preorder bonus, or sponsored streams, or what?
Incoming "They're not allowed to say anything negative, they are paid shills, but I'm always honest cuz I'm just like you, btw pay my bills and games".

I completely agree with @Cyber Bowling, Phil has not the charisma or talent to entertain a Pokémon game. Whenever he's on his own he just fails to deliver and hopes the game will take over in the next seconds (great, then I can watch it somewhere else or play it myself if he has nothing intelligent or funny to add). Just give him solo time and it's always complains and money talk, nobody wants that except to mine a pig.

I won't watch it anyway, I can't stand his soulless monotonous """Voice Acting""" (aka read text as fast as possible). Mmh. Well I can't stand his voice in general.

Last edited:

SkippyLongbottom

kiwifarms.net
No see you’re missing my point, I’m not even commenting on him going clown mode, I’m just talking his inability to flail his arms while talking. I’ve never seen another content creator so casually flail around over nothing, I could understand getting excited beating a tough boss or describing the size of something, but this dude answers simple questions with T poses.

I’ve brought up the T pose thing to people in real life that I’ve shown Dark to and they all agree it’s just weird, nobody casually flails their arms around during conversation like that. He legit can’t stop making muppet motions and it’s just so weird to me.

The fact that he calls other people muppets is just some hilarious irony, but to me it’s overshadowed by just how weird he seems to be with hand flails in inappropriate times
The T-posing almost seems like it comes straight out of movies or maybe wrestling. Like some leader trying to stretch out their arms to seem more profound in some way. Or maybe in wrestling when they are on the ropes boasting to a crowd(I don't watch much wrestling).

Kinda like his sayings like "the bottom line", or "modern era" coming straight from shit you would hear on wrestling. He just mimics the weirdest mannerisms.

Wouldn't be surprised if he tries to come off as some performer given that he has such an inflated ego. A big fat phony.

Surly Muppet

kiwifarms.net
$100 from Thethathasblacklightning. And another $100.01 from PaladinTybo The Minecraft and Pokemon naming really tap into the autism of his already autistic fanbase.

I’ve brought up the T pose thing to people in real life that I’ve shown Dark to and they all agree it’s just weird, nobody casually flails their arms around during conversation like that. He legit can’t stop making muppet motions and it’s just so weird to me.
I'll never get over the headphone unboxing where you can see him swaying, t-posing, and making elaborate gestures in the reflection of his sliding door. The weirdest part about it all is that he apparently just goes wild when he thinks he isn't being watched. The jerking, flailing and tics we see on the stream are actually the contained version of this mess.

Last edited:

Kheapathic

DSPGaming is just a YouTube channel
kiwifarms.net
Haven't been paying much attention to Tevin's re-stream in the background; but is it me, or has he gotten 2 or 3 $100+ tips already and no naming requests?

SkippyLongbottom

kiwifarms.net
No surprise. It is usually payday on Thursday. Would love to see how long this can go on for and to see if he still cries poor.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: actually

Surly Muppet

kiwifarms.net
Haven't been paying much attention to Tevin's re-stream in the background; but is it me, or has he gotten 2 or 3 $100+ tips already and no naming requests?
I believe they don't get to name something until the end of the stream. I guess he isn't asking what they want until then, maybe hoping that it'll go the way of some Minecraft streams where they disappear so he interprets that as not having to do anything.

tzgnilki

kiwifarms.net
paladintybo's chat logs seem kinda dead

and his steam account hasn't been logged into for 30 days

smells like an alt

Last edited:
Tags
None