Null teaches the Kiwi Farms how to forum. -

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
If you're gonna share an anecdote or say something that might be 'autistic' (with the low bar this forum has), just fucking do it. Literally no one gives a shit about your self-awareness, all it does is tempt people to slam those negative rating buttons. I've shared a few anecdotes and when I need to, I just tell the fucking story.
I've actually seen people get threadbanned for prefacing something with "powerlevel:" etc. Even though I'm guilty of it a few times, I can understand why it's a bad thing. Afterall, one of the items in the forum guidelines is explicitly: "Hide your powerlevel". So prefacing a post like that is basically saying you know the rules but are gonna ignore them anyway.

multiverse

Made Misty Michelle Henry Rage Quit
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People should be attaching virtually everything anyways. It's critical to how we operate.
No shit, it makes me crazy looking at old threads full of broken images and "image unavailable", particularly if the post only contained the image/s in the first place. It's not hard to take screenshots and attach, y'all.

Darwin Watterson

Custom titles are for nerds
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You should get rid of the Featured Threads, they act as a magnet for lazy people who just want to make low-effort shitposts. I know from experience.
I don't think we should eliminate them, but they DO need to be chosen more wisely, that's for sure.

No, Chris's latest Facebook post about his stupid gender identity shouldn't be front page news. The recent new cat? Maybe. Barb dying, or new Sonichu pages? Definitely, when it happens. But I've always been of the opinion that we should scale back on featuring mundane bullcrap of his (especially when more important stuff is happening).

I've said this before, and people were like, "but it started as the CWCki Forums!" Yeah, but then we branched out. That was one of the exact reasons the name got changed in the first place.

AngeloTheWizard

Bringer of amusing Let's Sperg threads
kiwifarms.net
I've actually seen people get threadbanned for prefacing something with "powerlevel:" etc. Even though I'm guilty of it a few times, I can understand why it's a bad thing. Afterall, one of the items in the forum guidelines is explicitly: "Hide your powerlevel". So prefacing a post like that is basically saying you know the rules but are gonna ignore them anyway.
And they could avoid the whole thing by just obfuscating the information. Don't say you worked at a certain company, say "I worked at a similar place" or "I worked in a (whatever) company". The rule about powerleveling is to hide intimate, identifiable details, so remove those details, and guess what? You're all good.

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
And they could avoid the whole thing by just obfuscating the information. Don't say you worked at a certain company, say "I worked at a similar place" or "I worked in a (whatever) company". The rule about powerleveling is to hide intimate, identifiable details, so remove those details, and guess what? You're all good.
Yeah but it's rarely even real powerlevels.

Which brings up another irritating phenomenon Dear Leader and the mods have discussed before: telling a relevant story of some spastic you met while working retail or some other shit like that is not powerleveling.

Powerleveling is prefacing a post with the fact you like to fuck dogs.

Lurker

Just Don't Be A Dick
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah but it's rarely even real powerlevels.

Which brings up another irritating phenomenon Dear Leader and the mods have discussed before: telling a relevant story of some spastic you met while working retail or some other shit like that is not powerleveling.

Powerleveling is prefacing a post with the fact you like to fuck dogs.
I think the issue is that "powerlevel" has come to mean two things. The forum's official definition of "powerlevel" is posting any intimate, personal details about yourself that would make you easy to identify. However, people also use "powerlevel" to refer to personal anecdotes.

Because I've certainly been guilty of prefacing something with "powerlevel" that isn't really a powerlevel. I think that the term has been used incorrectly by many people for so long that it's taken on two drastically different definitions, and I don't think there's much of a way to fix that, since it's been addressed several times, but nothing has really changed.

Darwin Watterson

Custom titles are for nerds
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's automatically selected based on posts, or manually selected. Almost all Chris features are from autoselections.
I know some features are manual (or at least used to be) because I've had conversations with several different staff members about it. Didn't know there was an automated system for it, too. Guess that's 'cause I'm not staff.

Anyway, it seems like these shitposting lectures occur once every few months. I remember @Flowers For Sonichu had another one a short while ago. There'll probably be another one by November-ish.

The Giver

Better at Inertia than Galileo
kiwifarms.net
No, Chris's latest Facebook post about his stupid gender identity shouldn't be front page news. The recent new cat? Maybe. Barb dying, or new Sonichu pages? Definitely, when it happens. But I've always been of the opinion that we should scale back on featuring mundane bullcrap of his (especially when more important stuff is happening).
I think part of this is just unavoidable, given how (relatively) well known cows like ADF and CWC are. They are just naturally going to attract more posts per thread on average, so those threads are going to get featured decently often.

That said, while the featured threads aren't perfect, I think they are a nice way to highlight especially interesting threads. This is true for new Sonichu or Barb being kill, like you mentioned, but it is also a good way to make folks aware of other interesting threads on other boards. I don't have the time to skim every single thread on the lolcow board or look at every rat king thread, but if I see one featured I'll give it a read and see what is up.

Forever Sunrise

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
People seem fond of ignoring the QUOTE ME NOW option. I find it far more useful to highlight the parts of a post I'm directly responding to. Quoting the entire thing just has the reader scratching their head as to what your own comments relate to.

Tags
None