Law Obesity as a Protected Class - "Fatty fatty boombalatty" should be added to the list of unacceptable hate speech.

Welcome to the Salty Kiwi, how fat are you?

• I have my own gravitational pull.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I ate my couch.

Votes: 34 23.1%
  • I looked at my scale and cried for twenty minutes.

Votes: 71 48.3%

• Total voters

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
Source.
Retailers feature plus-size models. "Fat influencers" have seen success on social media. Doctor groups have framed obesity as a disease that goes beyond willpower.

But public attitudes about weight have become more negative, even though thin people make up the minority of the population, according to a recent study from Harvard University. People who are overweight or obese not only have emotional and physical difficulties after being bullied about their weight, but also suffer financial penalties. Research from the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at the University of Connecticut found heavier workers earn less than thinner employees, are less likely to get promoted, and are viewed as lacking discipline.

"Weight bias happens at virtually every state of the employment cycle, from being hired to getting fired," said Rebecca Puhl, deputy director for the Rudd Center.

Michigan is the lone state with a law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of weight, and lawmakers in Massachusetts are seeking to follow along. A handful of cities, including San Francisco and Washington, D.C., also have such laws.

Despite the dearth of rules, the issue of weight discrimination in the workplace is gaining some attention from high-profile court cases. This summer, the Washington state Supreme Court ruled it was illegal under state law to refuse to hire someone just because of obesity, saying that employers were violating laws that prohibit discriminating against someone with a physical impairment. Over the years, waitresses and cheerleaders have sued against workplace rules on appearance.

In some jobs, such as for the military or in fire departments, workers must meet certain fitness requirements. In general, however, lawyers advise workplaces to avoid discussing weight unless they can show how it directly relates to workplace safety and an individual's ability to do a job.

That can make weight bias cases harder to prove, and when discrimination does happen, plaintiffs face limited legal recourse. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the federal agency that investigates allegations of workplace discrimination, addresses bias tied to race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, and disability. While weight isn't on that list, sometimes people file weight-related complaints by alleging gender or disability discrimination.

For example, in 2017, bus driver Mark Richardson accused the Chicago Transit Authority of firing him because he was obese and sued under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Richardson had been 594 pounds, and his employer determined his weight prevented him from safely driving a bus. The court ultimately decided that obesity itself didn't qualify as a disability unless caused by an underlying physiological disorder.

In other cases, complaints tied to weight are filed under gender discrimination because women tend to be targets of weight bias more than men. That's partially why many workplaces tend to be more indirect about weight requirements.

"In my experience, it’s not often a written policy, because those ideas about what size a person can be opens up employers to gender-based discrimination," said Ted Kyle, who is on the board of directors for the Obesity Action Coalition. "But it can often be fairly explicit in terms of people being told that their appearance is holding them back in terms of progressing their career."

Sarah Bramblette knows what it's like to get that kind of feedback. Several years ago, when she was working at a medical billing office and was 200 pounds overweight, her supervisor told her in a performance review that she was working above expectations but that she should have a more professional appearance.

Bramblette has medical conditions that cause tissue and fluid to accumulate in her arms and legs, making it painful to wear certain types of clothing. Still, she dressed up even more for work but was passed up for a promotion. After that, she took the advice she had received about her appearance as a veiled reference to her weight.

Puhl from the Rudd Center thinks adding weight as a protected class would help to prevent discrimination and allow for workplaces to warn workers not to harass each other over weight.

"Adding weight legitimizes this as a form of discrimination, otherwise it makes it seem as though it's OK to tolerate," Puhl said.

Surveys published in the Journal of Obesity show nearly 80% of the public agrees. But under U.S. labor "at-will employment" laws, workers can be fired at any time and for any reason. Workers in unions are more protected, as are people who fall under protected classes, but some are more cautious about calls to expand the protections further.

"There is no question that, in our society, people are often judged unfairly on account of their weight or their looks, and I have a great deal of empathy for people who have been treated unfairly on that basis," said Jennifer Braceras, director of the Center for Law and Liberty at the Independent Women's Forum. "But I would caution lawmakers to think long and hard before creating yet another protected class."

She added: "Historically, American anti-discrimination law has been used to prohibit and punish discrimination on the basis of immutable characteristics. It was never intended to eliminate at-will employment."

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! GRIND THEIR BONES INTO DIRT!
kiwifarms.net
It's bad for your health. Just in walmart you can't go a day without seeing a 60lb. 4 year old. Just because you can't control yourself doesn't mean the rest of the world should exalt your bad decisions, just like how no one should have to pay your medical bills because you smoked yourself to a lifetime of lung cancer.

>Fat privilege is eating yourself to death and yelling at normal sized humans how oppressed you are

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
The flip side of free choice is it includes consequences for bad ones.

Nobody is saying you deserve to feel bad, but, we can't do the inverse.

We can't make it so you will always feel good, even about your own bad decisions.

You want to eat yourself to morbid obesity? That's your choice, it doesn't mean you are a "bad" person, but, when you start to suffer negative health effects and people around you conclude you may have poor judgement and withhold things from you as a consequence, or simply find your obesity repulsive, personally?

We can't shield you from those things.

We don't have the obligation to do so, even if it were possible, because it isn't. "Fat shaming" isn't a thing any more than society shunning an armed robber is being somehow against the concept of personal entrepreneurship.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As a fat fuck that needs to deal with his burgerland obesity, they can try to make obesity a protected class all they want, but poor eating and dietary choices are gonna bite them all much worse than some guy calling them a fat fuck. Moreso when those poor choices go in hand with whatever you win in the bad genetic lottery.

Last edited:

The Lizard Queen

Lizard boobs. Your argument is invalid.
kiwifarms.net
They always use these weasel words, like, "Americans feel fat people have less willpower and are seen as irresponsible."
Fat people do have less willpower. That's usually why they're fat. If they were responsible they'd take charge of their weight problem and get healthy.
If someone's fat, it's a good sign they're lacking in some very important character traits.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
Obesity is just a side effect to an addiction like liver disease is to alcoholism or lung cancer is to smoking. That's always been my opinion. Should we also make heroin users a protected class? Fuck no.

We can't make it so you will always feel good, even about your own bad decisions.
If we could make it so that people always felt good, nobody would ever have an addiction either.

I looked at my scale and cried for twenty minutes.
No, I cried! Now get the fuck off me!

Last edited:
P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
It's not a disease. It's not a condition. You're not fat because mommy didn't love you, or because little Billy called you a dork in second grade. You're a fat fuck because you're not disciplined enough to moderate your eating, lazy enough to ignore your health and apathetic about your hygiene and appearance. If you decide to man up and lose the weight, awesome. I wish you the best and truly hope you succeed. Until then, I don't want to hear about how oppressed you are for being a disgusting blob of protoplasm. You made the choice to be one.

Pope of Degeneracy

This isn't a guilty look, is it?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not a disease. It's not a condition. You're not fat because mommy didn't love you, or because little Billy called you a dork in second grade. You're a fat fuck because you're not disciplined enough to moderate your eating, lazy enough to ignore your health and apathetic about your hygiene and appearance. If you decide to man up and lose the weight, awesome. I wish you the best and truly hope you succeed. Until then, I don't want to hear about how oppressed you are for being a disgusting blob of protoplasm. You made the choice to be one.
Shut up you cellulitephobe

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
>Bramblette has medical conditions that cause tissue and fluid to accumulate in her arms and legs, making it painful to wear certain types of clothing. Still, she dressed up even more for work but was passed up for a promotion. After that, she took the advice she had received about her appearance as a veiled reference to her weight.
I like the part where they deliberately ignore that this 350lb beanbag's water retention is directly related to her weight. And that she can only wear laygins and tarps to the office.

Calooby

dindu muffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you have actually TRIED to get exercise and to diet and are still a fat fuck? I won't fat shame you. If you have a physical impairment that limits your ability to properly move, and are fat as a result? I won't fat shame you. Now if you're a lazy fuck and you eat too much, I WILL fat shame you.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino