World Obesity Is Weighing on Education, Productivity and the Economy -

EasyPeasy

English not British
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From seeing how many fatso there are in the UK, maybe you shouldn’t throw stones in a glass house?
Most of the fatties here are the feckless council estate dole scroungers who shop at farm foods and jack fultons. I don't think anybody really fucking cares about them here.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Ogg66

JULAY

kiwifarms.net
>Rich Democratic countries
>All fatties

I wonder if wealth and free choice leads to being fat
Lots of people have plenty of money to eat whatever they want and are not fat. You just need to care enough about your appearance to control your portions, not eat like shit all the time and exercise occasionally.

Equivocal_Iki

kiwifarms.net
No, no, NO. The children are STARVING and you are lunch shaming them! They need free food! My GOD you people are HEARTLESS! They need free food so that the parents won't even have to pay for it. The parents can't even keep the kids' lunch accounts from going in the negative. There are viral stories about this every week. The solution is MORE food, not less!
It's the starvation-obesity spike. First you're too poor to feed yourself and starve, then you can afford food but only unhealthy food and become obese. Only when our welfare systems are generous enough that everyone can shop at whole foods (also we need to solve food deserts) will we solve both crisis.

Last edited:

Manwithn0n0men

kiwifarms.net
Lots of people have plenty of money to eat whatever they want and are not fat. You just need to care enough about your appearance to control your portions, not eat like shit all the time and exercise occasionally.
You cant make a society exercise if it has something else to do with its time

you can make people exercise

Manwithn0n0men

kiwifarms.net
It's the starvation-obesity spike. First you're too poor to feed yourself and starve, then you can afford food but only unhealthy food and become obese. Only when we our welfare systems are generous enough that everyone can shop at whole foods (also we need to solve food deserts) will we solve both crisis.
You know there is no proof food deserts impact food

Ogg66

kiwifarms.net
I am amazed at the number of people whose parents could not be arsed to teach them to cook and who like their parents can not be bothered to cook decent food. It is not like it is rocket science every clown and their dunce has a mobile or some other form of internet access where there is a wealth of good how to videos so it is laziness. As an example tonight we are having Salmon with veg and baby spuds, I doubt it will take me more than five mins to prepare. Chicken is available at stupid cheep prices and as for veg it is dirt low and in the UK readily available, yet to find a food dessert here. The people who whine about cost are talking rubbish and it little effort to prepare there is no excuse not to eat properly. The obese promoters will always deny it is an issue or its too expensive to buy proper food, that they have some set point weight and any pointing out of facts are lies or just oppressive, but they are a burden on everyone with a likelihood they will end up poncing benefits for the disabled or drastically raising costs for the NHS.

saralovesjuicyfruit

kiwifarms.net
It's the starvation-obesity spike. First you're too poor to feed yourself and starve, then you can afford food but only unhealthy food and become obese. Only when we our welfare systems are generous enough that everyone can shop at whole foods (also we need to solve food deserts) will we solve both crisis.
The 'healthy food is too expensive' excuse is such BS. It's just people who are too lazy to cook who fall back on that. You can get a whole chicken for $6 or less (I regularly find them on sale for $2-$3, and I live in a high cost of living city), potatoes for pennies a pound, and a bag of frozen peas for like 89 cents at any regular supermarket in the U.S. You could spend less than $10 on those items and have enough food to feed four people and have leftovers. Hell, people gave her shit for it, but Gwyneth Paltrow's grocery haul on a food stamp budget was actually pretty solid, IMO:

1570711844621.png

That's what she bought with the amount of money one person gets on food stamps for a week. I could easily live off that for a week. Egg and sweet potato breakfast burritos in the whole grain corn tortillas, beans and brown rice over lettuce topped with pico de gallo. You could make a decent fried rice with some of the cooked brown rice, peas, corn, egg, and scallion. It's just not the most 'exciting' food in the world, but you'd be well-nourished.

The 'healthy food is too expensive' excuse is such BS. It's just people who are too lazy to cook who fall back on that. You can get a whole chicken for $6 or less (I regularly find them on sale for $2-$3, and I live in a high cost of living city), potatoes for pennies a pound, and a bag of frozen peas for like 89 cents at any regular supermarket in the U.S. You could spend less than $10 on those items and have enough food to feed four people and have leftovers. Hell, people gave her shit for it, but Gwyneth Paltrow's grocery haul on a food stamp budget was actually pretty solid, IMO:

View attachment 966180

That's what she bought with the amount of money one person gets on food stamps for a week. I could easily live off that for a week. Egg and sweet potato breakfast burritos in the whole grain corn tortillas, beans and brown rice over lettuce topped with pico de gallo. You could make a decent fried rice with some of the cooked brown rice, peas, corn, egg, and scallion. It's just not the most 'exciting' food in the world, but you'd be well-nourished.
Who the fuck eats 7 limes in a week, but only one tomato and one onion? You could buy a sack of potatoes for the price of half those limes and that one lone avocado. Or maybe a pack of chicken breast.

EasyPeasy

English not British
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It’s eight quid plus for a packet of fags here and a Greggs sausage roll is eighty pence. So everyone gave up the appetite suppressing gaspers in favour of steak bakes and iced yumyums.

The market works.
I don't know how you can eat Greggs its just fucking gross.
The sausage meat is dried powdered crap and re-hydrated in store.

I really hate poor people food.

• Feels
Reactions: frozenrunner

saralovesjuicyfruit

kiwifarms.net
Who the fuck eats 7 limes in a week, but only one tomato and one onion? You could buy a sack of potatoes for the price of half those limes and that one lone avocado. Or maybe a pack of chicken breast.
I think the idea with the limes is that it's an inexpensive way to add flavor compared to investing in ground spices, plus you can squeeze them into plain water.

• Feels
Reactions: frozenrunner
I think the idea with the limes is that it's an inexpensive way to add flavor compared to investing in ground spices, plus you can squeeze them into plain water.
I think the idea is that Gwyneth Paltrow has never had to actually cook food on a budget before in her life and so she just tossed random pretty objects into her basket at Whole Foods instead of coming up with a meal plan and budgeting.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
In before people unironically start supporting government action against people eating too much.

I wonder if wealth and free choice leads to being fat
Don't worry there's a lot of people interested in ending both.

food deserts
You know why those exist right? I ask because if you did you'd understand why there's no "answer" to that "problem".

Fareal

will definitely consider what you have said
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 966180

She could have done a little better in terms of calories per dollar without much compromising the balance of the diet. Lettuce basically contributes nothing but crunch; up the dark green leafy or cruciferous veg instead. Any budget grocery shop relies on tinned chopped tomatoes for good reason. Beans are a key choice here but dropping a couple of limes for a tin or two of lentils would give more bang for that buck. Eggs are essential cheap protein and don’t take much energy to cook which is so important if you are watching your bills.

It is totally possible with good planning, a certain amount of store cupboard staples (spices etc), some ability to cook, some capacity to store and cook food (fridge, freezer, cooker) and canny shopping to eat well and healthily pretty cheaply. The trouble comes when people have no access to food storage, cooking facilities (no cooking in temporary accommodation for homeless families for example) and have limited idea of how to put a meal together for themselves. Screaming “mars bars make you a fat cunt” as a public health campaign isn’t going to help those people, and everyone else knows mars bars make you a fat cunt but eat them anyway.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Say what you want, but taxing shitty, unhealthy foods objectively works to get people to eat them less. That's why less people smoke or drink when they hiked up the taxes on that shit. Pay Uncle Sam for the privilege of eating like a fat slug, since fat people fuck over the economy and now cost everyone money thanks to Obamacare forcing me to subsidize some fat bastard who lives on a diet of McDonalds, 2 liters, and twinkies.

Also fat shaming rules, it's a key tool in fighting this disease, it's no different than telling a guy smoking in your face that he smells like shit and he'll have a great time dying of lung cancer.

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She could have done a little better in terms of calories per dollar without much compromising the balance of the diet. Lettuce basically contributes nothing but crunch; up the dark green leafy or cruciferous veg instead. Any budget grocery shop relies on tinned chopped tomatoes for good reason. Beans are a key choice here but dropping a couple of limes for a tin or two of lentils would give more bang for that buck. Eggs are essential cheap protein and don’t take much energy to cook which is so important if you are watching your bills.

It is totally possible with good planning, a certain amount of store cupboard staples (spices etc), some ability to cook, some capacity to store and cook food (fridge, freezer, cooker) and canny shopping to eat well and healthily pretty cheaply. The trouble comes when people have no access to food storage, cooking facilities (no cooking in temporary accommodation for homeless families for example) and have limited idea of how to put a meal together for themselves. Screaming “mars bars make you a fat cunt” as a public health campaign isn’t going to help those people, and everyone else knows mars bars make you a fat cunt but eat them anyway.
Home economics to teach people how to shop and cook should be mandatory for everyone. Meeting people in their 20s and 30s who don't know how to microwave a goddamn potato or how to buy groceries is some sad shit.

RLS0812

Just A Fox
kiwifarms.net
The US is the 17th fattest country in the world per capita ... Ranked 27th for males , ranked 8th for females .
Instead of taxing the ## out of poor people who can not afford 'healthy food', how about exploring options to make 'healthy food' affordable for poor people ?
We've had this debate before over in the food forum - the cost of 'healthy food' is incredibly expensive for someone without a lot of money.

Equivocal_Iki

kiwifarms.net
The US is the 17th fattest country in the world per capita ... Ranked 27th for males , ranked 8th for females .
Instead of taxing the ## out of poor people who can not afford 'healthy food', how about exploring options to make 'healthy food' affordable for poor people ?
We've had this debate before over in the food forum - the cost of 'healthy food' is incredibly expensive for someone without a lot of money.
"Overall Mean BMI: 28.8
Men Mean BMI: 28.8
Women Mean BMI: 28.8"
I'm calling suspect on that data. Looks like they took the overall then copy-pasted it for the individual groups.

Also rather than eat unhealthy food until you become obese, why not just buy enough unhealthy food to maintain a healthy weight then use the savings to buy healthy food instead?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino