World Obesity Is Weighing on Education, Productivity and the Economy -

skullomania

~doot gang~ 🎺💀
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's surprising how much cheap fruit and veg can get if you go for "wonky" or imperfect produce.

One lone "perfect" avocado can cost the same as 5-6 "wonky" avocados that look like -gasp- avocados. It's pretty simple to eat a nutritious balanced diet on a budget but it takes some planning and effort.

Convenience wins, at least most of the time.

Many people are lazy or inefficient at dedicating a portion of their free time to meal-prepping or planning the best (varied) use of a few staple ingredients.
It's really not rocket science to eat well on a budget.

RLS0812

Just A Fox
kiwifarms.net
Also rather than eat unhealthy food until you become obese, why not just buy enough unhealthy food to maintain a healthy weight then use the savings to buy healthy food instead?
Huh ?
You are making a huge assumption that 'healthy food' is cheap.

Here where I live a Mc Chicken is $1.00 ... a pound of white rice in small quantity is $6 /lb + ( $3 /lb when you buy 50 lb or more ) .
Potatoes are $2.50 /lb . Generic frozen veggies start $3.25 /lb . Raw chicken is $3 /lb ( cheapest meat ) . These are Wal-Mart prices - Giant Foods is far more expensive.
On a side note: 1 pound of cookies at Dollar General is $2.00

Equivocal_Iki

kiwifarms.net
My point was: You need to overeat to become obese, therefor you're overbuying on food with your current diet. Therefor just eat your current diet, but only enough to maintain a healthy weight. That enough could cut a poor obese person's food budget in half, which they could use to spend on a better diet with the savings.

Or maybe I missed your point and assumed you meant that people are becoming obese due to less access to more expensive healthy food.

Friendly_AI

kiwifarms.net
Huh ?

Here where I live a Mc Chicken is $1.00 ... a pound of white rice in small quantity is $6 /lb + ( $3 /lb when you buy 50 lb or more ) .
Potatoes are $2.50 /lb . Generic frozen veggies start $3.25 /lb . Raw chicken is $3 /lb ( cheapest meat ) . These are Wal-Mart prices - Giant Foods is far more expensive.
Mc Chicken or cookies are only good for 1 meal for 1 person, maybe for 2 people at most, while a pound of rice can be turned into 3-4 portions. And as you've mentioned, if you buy bulk, it becomes cheaper. Same is with meat: whole chicken can last for a week for a family of 2, but you'll have to know how to cut it or how to roast it.
Most people just don't store food properly and do not save time for cooking. Also, going grocery shopping while hungry is always a bad idea, I know that sometimes there's no choice, but it takes a lot of planning and good impulse control to overcome hunger-buying in that case.

Dysnomia

Absolutely AFABulous
kiwifarms.net
Huh ?

You also have to keep in mind that some areas don't have supermarkets. The one two blocks away from me is shut down and will likely sit there and rot for eternity. What you end up with is a bodega practically on every corner. And they are pretty cheap around there. They take the individual wrapped packs of snack cakes out of the family size boxes and sell them two for a dollar. And I have come to the conclusion that a lot of these places are skirting the beverage tax. Not that I support the tax.

I can go right accross the street with $5 and come out with a nice haul of cake and soda. Yeah they sell healthy food too. But the junk food is right at the front of the store. All the ice cream is right under the front counter. They know what people are drawn to. Cheap fattening junk.

I don't have a hard time eating healthy on a budget. But I am just one person. If I had a family it would start spreading thin.

Mc Chicken or cookies are only good for 1 meal for 1 person, maybe for 2 people at most, while a pound of rice can be turned into 3-4 portions. And as you've mentioned, if you buy bulk, it becomes cheaper. Same is with meat: whole chicken can last for a week for a family of 2, but you'll have to know how to cut it or how to roast it.
Most people just don't store food properly and do not save time for cooking. Also, going grocery shopping while hungry is always a bad idea, I know that sometimes there's no choice, but it takes a lot of planning and good impulse control to overcome hunger-buying in that case.
Rice is fucking heavy. I have to buy small packages because I can't carry much. Only people with cars can really get big bulk hauls home easily. Trying to get several hundred pounds of food home by bus is a feat worthy of a medal. And everyone hates that your bags are taking up room.

I have walked a fair distance with what was probably about 60-70 lbs of food before. It was very very difficult. But I had no choice. I am not very strong at all either People with cars greatly underestimate the extra labor involved if you want to buy a lot of food in one trip via bus or walking. Those handcarts only hold so much and become very heavy themselves. I figured that out fast.

In America we need more supermarkets in urban areas. Which is an issue unfortunately related to crime because a lot of these places shut down after being repeatedly robbed.

Of course you can't force people to eat healthy food either. But people are so used to shoving in five 100 calorie cookies like it's a light snack then washing it down with a 20 ounce soda that it isn't something you will ever fix overnight with some nutritional counciling. It took generations to make this mess and it's going to take generations to clean it up.

Also, they don't sell meat like they used to. You used to be able

No, no, NO. The children are STARVING and you are lunch shaming them! They need free food! My GOD you people are HEARTLESS! They need free food so that the parents won't even have to pay for it. The parents can't even keep the kids' lunch accounts from going in the negative. There are viral stories about this every week. The solution is MORE food, not less!
Oh god, now you've riled me up. I sat through this shitty Food History class once and they would circlejerk about the food insecurity "crisis." I'd ask, what fucking crisis? The percentage of Americans who die of malnutrition (not even necessarily starvation) is incredibly low, and of that, almost all of them are bedridden elderly people or little toddlers who are being neglected by their guardians.

There is no starvation in America, there's very little hunger. You have to actively work to not be able to get food, one way or another. Eating cheap, shitty food =/= being hungry

That said, I actually do agree with free lunches, for this reason. In school lunchrooms, the kids who have the free lunches are often the ones who have the money to buy extra treats (ice creams and crap) that the lunch room sells. The kids who have to pay for their lunch usually dont' get that money from their parents. So basically, the shithead poors have the money for lunch even if they qualify for the reduced/free lunch, so they just put that money towards extra goodies while their decadent lifestyle is subsidized by the decent middle-class kids.

Friendly_AI

kiwifarms.net
Rice is fucking heavy. I have to buy small packages because I can't carry much. Only people with cars can really get big bulk hauls home easily. Trying to get several hundred pounds of food home by bus is a feat worthy of a medal. And everyone hates that your bags are taking up room.

I have walked a fair distance with what was probably about 60-70 lbs of food before. It was very very difficult. But I had no choice. I am not very strong at all either People with cars greatly underestimate the extra labor involved if you want to buy a lot of food in one trip via bus or walking. Those handcarts only hold so much and become very heavy themselves. I figured that out fast.
Having done grocery shopping on foot and walking about a mile on average for that, I can safely say it's possible. I can't handle 70 pounds on my own, but if there is a family member to help you, you can carry even more than that. Also try using a backpack for carrying food and other items, it's easier on your body than tugging a cart.

In the end, it's down to willpower and planning.

I'm sorry to offend any of the Kiwi's in this thread saying that eating healthy can't be done on a strict budget.

It can.

It's just a question of convenience and sacrifice for people. It's the same with gyms really, people fork out money for gym memberships, but then never go to the gym. Or they can't afford a gym membership and use that as an excuse to remain unhealthy, when you have a large giant world out there, you have your home, you have the internet, you have as much access to educational material, work out tapes, etc, that you could ever want, for free or relatively free.

It just takes the time to go and do, and prepare and plan to do. And I know it sounds faggy, but the person who commits to working out once a week and eating healthy on no budget is better off than the six figures who eats on Mcdicks, plays vidya, and has a gym membership but only uses the sauna.

Same with the food, it starts at home. It is a difficult but conscientious choice to eat better, there is endless amounts of information and ideas and meals out there that fit into all types of budgets, it just takes time, choice, and some actual effort to make it happen.

And yes I understand some people will need to work longer hours, or it might be difficult to juggle around with certain other time pressures, but realistically people don't realize that the hour spent shopping healthy, the hours spent meal prepping, exercising, gardening at home or in an allotment will in the end guarantee that your not dead by the age of 55 because your heart exploded, or having to wheel yourself around because type 2 diabetes took your foot, and also mean that your not a net taker from any healthcare system that your signed up to.

As for the masses of families who say they can't afford to eat healthy food, again I say bullshit, they don't want to take the steps required to change their diets around to actually make it affordable for them to eat healthy food. Maybe a little less meat, beans as a staple, and the healthier cheap to produce vegetables. A little less than the American average caloric intake is going to actually be a positive for them.

95% of my food purchases are carried home on foot or by bicycle, I have one monthly big shop and a few smaller top ups throughout the week. I've carried home bags of rice, bags of potting soil. If it's a big items then I will grab a lift.

kcbbq

No controlling legal authority
kiwifarms.net
I usually buy onions once a year. Sometimes every other if I don't use many. $9 for 25lbs of fresh storage onions. Knowing what keeps well is an important skill.

Knowing where things that are usually expensive are cheap (spices at an Indian or pan-asian market) is important, too.

So is pooling resources with friends and relatives. And food preservation. And knowing which doomsday prepper internet sites have free shipping.

Ogg66

kiwifarms.net
Having done grocery shopping on foot and walking about a mile on average for that, I can safely say it's possible. I can't handle 70 pounds on my own, but if there is a family member to help you, you can carry even more than that. Also try using a backpack for carrying food and other items, it's easier on your body than tugging a cart.

In the end, it's down to willpower and planning.
Just get one of these granny trolly things job done.

• Agree
Reactions: Fareal

EasyPeasy

British not English
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Huh ?

You Americans have had it too cheap for too long.

I hope the dollar crashes.

EasyPeasy

British not English
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So over tax everything ?
England is expensive thanks to it's heavy taxation. Are you proud you pay so much money into a broken public social system ?

More on topic - UK has had a vegetable shortage for the last 3 years thanks to problems in Spain .
Zero tax on most food items here in UK unless its a convenience food like snacks and shit then its 20%.

Absolute bullshit about veg, every supermarket and greengrocer I have been in are always full of fruit and veg.

rocknrollmartian

kiwifarms.net
The US is the 17th fattest country in the world per capita ... Ranked 27th for males , ranked 8th for females .
Instead of taxing the ## out of poor people who can not afford 'healthy food', how about exploring options to make 'healthy food' affordable for poor people ?
We've had this debate before over in the food forum - the cost of 'healthy food' is incredibly expensive for someone without a lot of money.
But it's not "incredibly expensive"? I mean, what do you consider expensive or healthy? People who qualify for SNAP can get hearty, filling whole foods like rice, oats, beans, m!lk, cheese, cereal, bread, potatoes, pasta, eggs, peanut butter, fish and meats, fruits, and vegetables, and those who don't qualify can budget/meal plan for <$25 a week. Frozen and canned veggies are fine as well and are often very affordable and on sale. Is feeding oneself for a couple dollars a day really an unreasonable or outrageous expectation, especially for people who may spend money on other vices like booze, smokes, weed, lottery tickets without a second thought?

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Huh ?

If you're paying $150 for a 50 pound bag of rice, you're getting completely ripped off. Just based off a quick Amazon search you can buy a 50 pound bag there for less than $60. You could probably even get it for less than a dollar per pound from a wholesale outlet.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino