Obesity Thread - Obesity Epidemics, the Problems, and How to Fix it.

TheClorax

Straight up Leaving the Farms...
kiwifarms.net
With big name corporations and their hold on School Systems and society, Americans have seen a tripling of Obesity in Children in the past three decades. This whole problem began when school-prepared lunch programs were shut down, and school systems looked to big corporations for help.
The Obama Administration tried to fix it, and we all know how that turned out. So what other problems does society face, and how can people fix it?

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1) The rise of corn syrup. Corn syrup is pure fructose. Our bodies cannot recognize fructose, our main source of energy is glucose. And while sucrose (table sugar), is a combination of these sugars, the glucose part still triggers satiety. Fructose does not trigger satiety receptors, therefore you can eat more fructose without noticing.

2) Increase in processed foods. With modern life becoming more complicated, nobody wants to cook after coming home from a 9-5 jobs. Now that men and women both work and are both tired, sometimes there's no one left to cook. This leads to a lot of processed meals, which are high in sodium, calories and other bad shit.

3) Soda. Soda is all empty calories and loaded with sugar. Actually, most commercial drinks besides water are. Its incredibly difficult to avoid since everyone nowadays loads their shit with sugar, no matter if its iced tea or redbull. Also those huge frappachinos and shit also carry with them sometimes 500-700 calories, which is a third of your intake.

4) Cheap. Fast food is incredibly cheap. The farming industry is obsessive and leaves good fruit and vegetables to rot because people won't buy them. They won't buy a lumpy apple and shit. Fast food restaurants are also ubiquitous. In the cities, Bodegas and small grocery stores are usually more expensive than normal supermarkets. And the poor typically don't have access to transportation to get there, so they subsist of fast food. This is partly why poverty is correlated to obesity, especially in cities.

5) Cars. Most people travel by car now and don't even get incidental exercise. Cities like NY aren't obese because most people don't own cars and have to walk to public transport or everywhere. Yes, even just daily walking can keep down the obesity rate.

6) Not understanding nutrition. Most people don't understand what a calorie is (Its the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water (or 1 mL) of water 1 degree). Also, since the US is retarded and doesn't understand the metric system, we actually use Kilocalories. If you go anywhere in Europe, this is what they say on the packaging. So, its not really 2,000 calories, its 1,000 times that. It works out to be the same, but I figure I'd mention it. 350 calories is basically equal to 1 pound. If you burn 350 calories a week, you can lose a half a pound to a pound. Which is why you see people who drop all sugary drinks from their diet drop huge amounts of weight quickly. People just don't understand, don't watch what they eat and just don't care.

7) Addictive. Food nowadays is basically made to addict your ass to it. Food chemists can make any scent and taste, from garbage to the best tasting thing in the world. They formulate these things so you won't stop eating it. It makes you feel good so you want to keep eating. Problem is, this shit is rarely good for your body. Which is why once I stopped eating fast foods nearly a decade ago, if I decide to have anything from a fast food restaurant, I feel like utter shit and nauseous.

8) Not understanding physics with no will to change. Calories in, calories out. Where we differ is how fast those calories turn into fat or are burned. Some people burn calories faster, others slower. But if you lose 350 calories from your diet, they're gone. It might take someone a day and a half for that energy to be burned off, it might take another a day. But it will go away. You don't magically retain it. Its where genetics comes into play. Our genetics, however, does require each of us to have a certain amount of body fat (but nowhere to the obese level). Again, if you aren't eating it, it isn't there. The problem is this process isn't instant. And way too many want instant gratification without changing habits.

CWCchange

Ɔʍɔɔɥɐuƃǝ
kiwifarms.net
Easy to blame corporations for taking advantage of a situation, even when they're joining the health foods bandwagon.

The fact of the matter is it's not processed food, automobile usage, etc. which are solely causing obesity. The biggest culprit which manifests itself onto these factors is poor land-use planning. Think about it. Communities where it's impossible to walk places because everything is inefficiently spread out and separated require extensive automobile use, which includes dropping off children to giant prison-like school campuses, eating out, and going grocery shopping like it's the apocalypse instead of just buying what you need. If cities become more traditional again, kids would able to walk to school, and you can walk to restaurants and make more frequent grocery trips buying less.

From exercise becoming routine by necessity with more walking, the obesity rate should drop by at least half.

Last edited:

NeverHappened

That's the sound of books
kiwifarms.net
Just drop soda. It's not even good and you regret drinking it the entire time while you drink it.

This was enough for me to loss basically all my extra weight(I was never overweight by modern metrics).

• Agree
Reactions: Twisted Tsuki
R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
Get a calorie counting ap on your phone and lose a fuckton of weight just planning your meals, portions, and excersise to make sure you end each day with a 300-500 calorie deficit.

• Agree
Reactions: C3PBRO

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't know how it is in America, but in my country junk food is actually MORE expensive than healthy food. It's kind of a luxury, actually. Is junk food really so cheap in the US?
Because the corn lobby owns every Congress member on the ag committees in the House and Senate, they get huge subsidies for anything corn-related, whether it's outright scams like corn ethanol to mix in gasoline or unhealthy products like high fructose corn syrup. So, absurdly, there are subsidized super low price junk food in mass quantities, with the reputation of generally being in the "middle aisles" of grocery stores, while produce is relatively expensive.

In actuality, almost all food is cheap other than luxury items, at least if you shop half sensibly. But it's not entirely an inaccurate stereotype that you'll see people buying with food stamps and they have a shopping cart filled to the brim with Little Debbie cakes for $0.99 and $0.89 3 liter bottles of Faygo and nothing healthy.

The prices of a lot of the unhealthy ingredients that go into junk food are kept unnaturally low by subsidies, leading to a lot of that kind of crap being made and sold at low prices. Most of this is through the annual (or it is supposed to be annual) Farm Bill, which is comprised of immense amounts of pork.

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know how it is in America, but in my country junk food is actually MORE expensive than healthy food. It's kind of a luxury, actually. Is junk food really so cheap in the US?
If you ignore the wave of stupid, gimmick releases that are, in ways, redundant to cheaper and common varieties.

• Informative
Reactions: Desire Lines

admiral

So you want to become an elite businessman?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People are too concerned with easy fixes. They want their problems to be solved nownownow. This is obviously impossible if you're 100lbs overweight, but good luck telling people that they'll have to focus on diet and exercise over the course of months until they've safely lost the weight, and then maintain that lifestyle for the rest of their lives, when they're surrounded advertisements for pills and programmes that'll promise to magically zap 10lbs off your ass in a day.
People see celebrities on instagram or magazines losing weight quickly and think it's so easy- but that person is a millionaire with a personal trainer, chef and dietician. They can have lipo, their clothes are probably tailored to give the best fit.
People watch shows about weightloss and instead of seeing how they can destroy their bodies with living, they focus on the super low-calorie diets and surgeries.
Our culture of convenience encourages quick fixes and drastic cures. This is why people yo-yo diet, and why people develop eating disorders. As a society, we're very impatient.

Shaftie

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fast food is becoming more cheaper than healthier food. Juice cost around $2.50 while Soda cost at least $1.00.
Water is free tho.

Most of the blame is on the people shoving this shit in their mouths but a small part of the blame are the companies shoving way too much sugar and salt into their food. There was an article I read sometime back about how Japanese sweet places and cafes would be reviewed by American tourists as bland because they don't use nearly the amount of sugar or salt that the American palate is used to.

TheClorax

Straight up Leaving the Farms...
kiwifarms.net
This is obviously impossible if you're 100lbs overweight,
There’s an documentary on Netflix called “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” about a guy who weighed over 400 lbs, and through drinking nothing but homemade fruit and vegetable juice and doing a ton of walking and swimming, got under 200 in about 6 months.
Pretty cool documentary, and the TL;DR version of the whole thing was, “See a problem, and make a change.”

Reactions: Twisted Tsuki

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
Fast food is becoming more cheaper than healthier food. Juice cost around $2.50 while Soda cost at least $1.00.
Juice is not healthy food though, it has just as much sugar and as many calories. But with regard to "it's cheaper" that's outright wrong, Americans dont purchase most things by weight, and processed food kind of markets around that but like if youre looking at a 2.50 bag of chips, and 2.50 worth of fresh produce, the produce is sold by the pound so you can get a few pounds of food while a bag of chips is what, like, 15 ounces? It's all WalMart math, where it just looks cheaper on the surface--kind of like how people from other countries say they were surprised at how Americans dont apply tax until the checkout because tax is included in the prices where they live. It looks cheaper, but you just have to think about it.

Even accounting waste, pound for pound, fresh produce and food and making it yourself is cheaper every time.

Capitalism doesnt work on tiny margins, in the big picture, McDonalds wouldnt run their dollar menu stuff if it cost them anything significant, even if youre looking at a 20 dollar/wk grocery bill and saying "Well its cheaper to buy the dollar burger, dollar fries, and dollar drink, plus tax, each meal, because its only a few dollars," I mean it comes out to a significant amount and the deal swings in McDonalds' favor, you know? Even if you only eat the dollar burger and get water, youre looking at 14/week on two meals a day, or 21/wk on three, not including taxes.

The only reason to rely solely on that sort of food is if youre homeless and have no means to actually cook for yourself, which some people do.

carltondanks

kiwifarms.net
Juice is not healthy food though, it has just as much sugar and as many calories. But with regard to "it's cheaper" that's outright wrong, Americans dont purchase most things by weight, and processed food kind of markets around that but like if youre looking at a 2.50 bag of chips, and 2.50 worth of fresh produce, the produce is sold by the pound so you can get a few pounds of food while a bag of chips is what, like, 15 ounces? It's all WalMart math, where it just looks cheaper on the surface--kind of like how people from other countries say they were surprised at how Americans dont apply tax until the checkout because tax is included in the prices where they live. It looks cheaper, but you just have to think about it.

Even accounting waste, pound for pound, fresh produce and food and making it yourself is cheaper every time.

Capitalism doesnt work on tiny margins, in the big picture, McDonalds wouldnt run their dollar menu stuff if it cost them anything significant, even if youre looking at a 20 dollar/wk grocery bill and saying "Well its cheaper to buy the dollar burger, dollar fries, and dollar drink, plus tax, each meal, because its only a few dollars," I mean it comes out to a significant amount and the deal swings in McDonalds' favor, you know? Even if you only eat the dollar burger and get water, youre looking at 14/week on two meals a day, or 21/wk on three, not including taxes.

The only reason to rely solely on that sort of food is if youre homeless and have no means to actually cook for yourself, which some people do.
never thought about it that way. i should buy more fruit and vegetables

kiwifarms.net
[redacted]
I think this is the appropriate answer. I believe more pondering could be applied to the demonic manifestation of gluttony in obesity, but I have found myself totally unable to take the opinion of fat people seriously. There is something totally repulsive about talking to fat people, and it is not just their appearance. They are like faggots—in that they have a repulsive soul that underlies their slavery to vice.

They should be surrendered to the Divine Providence, just as faggots and niggers are. However, it is a shame that the Divine Providence for many fat people is that they shall collapse, corporeally and spiritually, under mortal sin.

I also would like to say that it is interesting that we name fat people, 'fat'. When we call someone skinny or thin, we are simply saying that they are without excess adipose tissue. But we simply say, "You are fat," to fat people. Suddenly, they are no longer defined as human, but as the excess adipose tissue that has consumed them corporeally. It is like gluttony has taken their individual names and replaced it with the execrable unity of 'fat'.

[redacted]
I would argue that the increasing prevalence of faggots, niggers, and fat people in our daily social encounters is a disincentive to the wont of ambulatory locomotion. In an automobile, you are shielded from these demonic persons, but on the sidewalk, you are exposed to encountering them.

There is something far more important about social morality at large than there is about city planning. You cannot underestimate the disgust that people experience when they are forced to encounter moral degenerates.

Grisp

kiwifarms.net
We, as humans, have not adopted mentally to the newfound reality where many of us have access to an abundance of food. Having a healthy relationship to food from a young age is extremely important as your physical health affects your mental health too.

The fat acceptance movement is entirely rooted in the ever-existing comfort of reality denial. I don't dislike fat people, I don't think that they should be bullied and they should be able to live their lives how they want to. But the second that they try to pretend that their lifestyle is healthy, or not non-healthy, and spread it to other people then they can go fuck themselves. It's pathetic seeing them with their 'crab in a bucket' mentality.

I've been pretty severely overweight earlier in my life so any faggot who tries to come with "you just hate fat people waah", "you don't know how it is!!" or "you wouldn't say this if you were fat/you are just genetically blessed" is sorely out of luck.

Like the other person said, Juice is generally not healthy. Especially if we are only talking about weight.

I think this is the appropriate answer. I believe more pondering could be applied to the demonic manifestation of gluttony in obesity, but I have found myself totally unable to take the opinion of fat people seriously. There is something totally repulsive about talking to fat people, and it is not just their appearance. They are like faggots—in that they have a repulsive soul that underlies their slavery to vice.
Can you imagine being so mentally weak that you are a slave to religion like this faggot? It has to suck being too frail to see the world for what it is.

They should be surrendered to the Divine Providence, just as faggots and niggers are. However, it is a shame that the Divine Providence for many fat people is that they shall collapse, corporeally and spiritually, under mortal sin.

I also would like to say that it is interesting that we name fat people, 'fat'. When we call someone skinny or thin, we are simply saying that they are without excess adipose tissue. But we simply say, "You are fat," to fat people. Suddenly, they are no longer defined as human, but as the excess adipose tissue that has consumed them corporeally. It is like gluttony has taken their individual names and replaced it with the execrable unity of 'fat'.
Although I realize that you are a troll I do enjoy shitting on you.

Whether or not you decide to use specific language created by humans and interpret it as them having lost their humanity has no actual relation to them being human or not. Just like when I admit that religious nuts are insane people, that actually has no effect on their humanity. It is simply mine, or your, opinion dependant on an imperfect language as a base.

Tags
None