Obesity Thread - Obesity Epidemics, the Problems, and How to Fix it.

White bubblegum

Blow me
kiwifarms.net
There are 2 ways to lower obesity rates at this point:
1) Ignore it so people with slower metabolisms die out until we're left with skinny eating machines that require more food a day than the average person currently does.
2) Or ban high fructose corn syrup and enforce smaller portion sizes in restaurants, put people with higher than x% body fat in healthy eating workshops and provide support for those with binge eating disorders.
•Tax the ones that refuse treatment for every % of body fat they are over the limit if you get a statistically significant amount people refusing it.

Naturally that's pretty harsh, but I don't see many other ways to 'fix' the obesity epidemic besides waiting for fatties to die, or getting the gubmint massively involved, since many fatties do seem to lack the willpower to stick to a diet change without tremendous outside help.
Just ban high fructose corn syrup, no need to put fat people in concentration camps and tax them for being fat because muh freedom. But I don't think we can just wait for fat people to die off. They won't. Even if they die at an earlier age, many still manage to breed before that, filling the next generation with fat kids.

The government could also help by requiring that grocery stores have only a small percentage of unhealthy junk food vs. Real food. Ever notice how grocery stores seem to have more cookie and snack cake varieties than fresh produce? Also, a no-bullshit public education/propaganda campaign on healthy eating. If the media and govt. got people to care about wearing masks during this pandemic they could get people to care about eating healthy... obesity is a pandemic too.

Autistador

"My blade? She's called dickdestroyer9000"
kiwifarms.net
Just ban high fructose corn syrup, no need to put fat people in concentration camps and tax them for being fat because muh freedom. But I don't think we can just wait for fat people to die off. They won't. Even if they die at an earlier age, many still manage to breed before that, filling the next generation with fat kids.

The government could also help by requiring that grocery stores have only a small percentage of unhealthy junk food vs. Real food. Ever notice how grocery stores seem to have more cookie and snack cake varieties than fresh produce? Also, a no-bullshit public education/propaganda campaign on healthy eating. If the media and govt. got people to care about wearing masks during this pandemic they could get people to care about eating healthy... obesity is a pandemic too.
Everything else is solid, but workshops to teach people healthy eating habits =/= concentration camp. I should have specified that by workshops, I meant like those skillshare-esque online workshops, but about food science and portion sizes.

werbwub

kiwifarms.net
Obesity is an issue because people think only of the short term. Most people would rather drive to Mcdicks rather than preparing food and waiting for the food to cook before they can eat. The same goes for exercise, Your average Joe would rather kick back and watch TV instead of hitting the gym. If people would just make all their food,mostly drink water, and get a decent amount of exercise obesity wouldn't be an issue.

Slowboat to China

Level 6 Hairy Hands Syndrome
kiwifarms.net
Mexico is doing worse, though you'll literally never hear that anywhere.
I have some relatives down there, and they told us about seeing kids in sugarcane fields cutting fresh canes for a snack on the way to school. What a great way to start the day, huh? It was hell on their teeth, too.

Found this list of obese countries by average BMI. According to them, the slimmest country in the world is Vietnam.

• Informative
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

White bubblegum

Blow me
kiwifarms.net
Everything else is solid, but workshops to teach people healthy eating habits =/= concentration camp. I should have specified that by workshops, I meant like those skillshare-esque online workshops, but about food science and portion sizes.
Sorry for exaggerating your claim too. Yeah, those online workshops could go a long way in getting people educated about healthy eating as long as people actually use them.
I have some relatives down there, and they told us about seeing kids in sugarcane fields cutting fresh canes for a snack on the way to school. What a great way to start the day, huh? It was hell on their teeth, too.

Found this list of obese countries by average BMI. According to them, the slimmest country in the world is Vietnam.
I have relatives in Mexico too and the sugarcanes aren't even the problem honestly. At least its fresh and relatively healthy compared to all the soda I see people in Mexico drink.

Tags
None