Objectively Bad Art - "My dog could have painted it"

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
I think all the creative avant garde artists after Picasso, Dali, Duchamp et al. abandoned fine art and went into commercial advertising.

Lemmingwise

Don't speak to me or my daughter ever again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The great roger scruton made a good documentary about this. First half (detecting the problem) is much better than the second half of the documentary (solving the problem).

The split happens at about the 35-40 minute mark

Last edited:

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
Dalí already had a foot there, and legend says he didn't even painted most of his paintings.
Oooh the thing I could tell you about Dalí...
Andy Warhol was notorious for that too. But that was true for a lot of artist especially during the renaissance. A lot of big name artist had studios who churned out loads of artworks and when they received their commissions mister Big Name artist would do the rough sketches and preliminary artwork and would hand over the rest to apprentices who finished the paintings. Painting back then was a time consuming process and the studios had to produce all their own paints, varnishes, canvases and tools from scratch. And if you had a lot of patrons you probably wanted a quick turnaround.

Azafran90

Sexiest cenobite "alive"
kiwifarms.net
Andy Warhol was notorious for that too. But that was true for a lot of artist especially during the renaissance. A lot of big name artist had studios who churned out loads of artworks and when they received their commissions mister Big Name artist would do the rough sketches and preliminary artwork and would hand over the rest to apprentices who finished the paintings. Painting back then was a time consuming process and the studios had to produce all their own paints, varnishes, canvases and tools from scratch. And if you had a lot of patrons you probably wanted a quick turnaround.
I was referring mostly to the "massively sign blank papers so your employees can scribble something on them later and then sell them as real Dalí shit" scandal.
Or the time Dalí hired a guy or multiple guys to just create for him, explaining the various levels of quality found in paintings from the same era.
Also he was a wife beater...

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
I was referring mostly to the "massively sign blank papers so your employees can scribble something on them later and then sell them as real Dalí shit" scandal.
Or the time Dalí hired a guy or multiple guys to just create for him, explaining the various levels of quality found in paintings from the same era.
Didn't Pablo Picasso do the same thing like going to restaurants and signing his signature on blank paper instead of using cash because people thought his autograph was worth more than paper money?

Azafran90

Sexiest cenobite "alive"
kiwifarms.net
Didn't Pablo Picasso do the same thing like going to restaurants and signing his signature on blank paper instead of using cash because people thought his autograph was worth more than paper money?
I think the anecdote is that he told a friend "give me a bill and I'll make it worth double" and then he signed it and used it to pay at a restaurant.
I don't know if he signed blank papers but he was really consious anyone could falsify his work... In fact a lot of people did and you can still find them all over Europe in galleries.

He was also a shit husband, btw. In fact, a few artists could have been horrorcows if you ask me.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
Dada, Picasso, Warhol, etc all can go fuck themselves. Sadly art was co-opted by the people that hated art the most, the scam is still profitable sadly so culture keeps getting chugged down the drain. A century of of "anti-art" artists running the main art institutions and becoming the mainstream and still somehow people think its brave and stunning to make the same vapid statement over and over again. Shitting over a guitar and recording the shit hitting the strings is more creative and artistic than learning how to play it properly, yeah, i get it, its been decades of this shit already.

Almost everyone of those "How to draw anime/manga" books would fit. I think anyone that showed even a small interest in anime received at least some variation of these from their parents or relatives growing up.
View attachment 1525521View attachment 1525526
Some of those were terrible but others were actually not so bad tbh. Manga drawing books get maligned a lot in illustrator circles but a few series of those are actually cool introduction for younger kids to legit fundamentals even if it is just skimming and simplified versions, i remember one i think was a japanese translated "how to draw manga" that was pretty neat, it had a few charts with different style of anime character proportions and then it compared it with real life proportions and explain a bit why the stylistic exageration but the meme is "the books are teaching the kids wrong proportions, you can't draw that, thats not loomis reeeee"

0A5B1EF8-AB4F-4EC3-B726-D8C31AB146D2.jpeg

M'aiq the Liar

Care to see my wares?
kiwifarms.net
Some of those were terrible but others were actually not so bad tbh. Manga drawing books get maligned a lot in illustrator circles but a few series of those are actually cool introduction for younger kids to legit fundamentals even if it is just skimming and simplified versions.
Good point. At least the books have some 'soul' and serve a purpose (besides money laundering). Plus it's aimed at kids so it should cater to what they want. And personally I find way more entertainment value in deviantart-tier bad art than the shit-in-a-bucket type installations.

Also obligatory Christopher Hart pic.

Attachments

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
Good point. At least the books have some 'soul' and serve a purpose (besides money laundering). Plus it's aimed at kids so it should cater to what they want. And personally I find way more entertainment value in deviantart-tier bad art than the shit-in-a-bucket type installations.

Also obligatory Christopher Hart pic.
As long as the artist making the book is competent and the principles are true then i am all forward. There was another book like that that about perspective and it used Gundam-like mechs to show the rules of perspective, that was pretty nifty, i guess thats the same as the lighter tutorials lot of artubers do on their channels, it may not be a full art instruction but it is not harmful either.

That said, that Christopher Hart example is an abomination and thats the kind that should not be allowed to exist. Only fire can cleanse it.

DuckofDoom

kiwifarms.net
I think a significant part of the reason that "art" has gone to shit over that past century is it has become all about the artist and whatever "message" they are saying, rather than the actual skill they show. The first thing that comes to mind is Warhol's Soup Can or Marilyn Monroe prints... if those were made by anyone other than Warhol and his half-assed critique of consumer and celebrity culture (and drugs) no one would give a damn about them.

Positron

Anti-intellectual; pro common sense
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Let's just say that if:

-it was a stupid idea
-the money could have been used to save a small African village
-anyone else could have done it better and as a joke
-makes people loose faith in art
-it took 0 effort to do/design

It was objectively bad art

For example:

View attachment 1525116
"My Bed"
Au contraire, it take a filthy, shameless, disgusting slut like Tracey Emin to make My Bed. So you can't claim "anyone else could have done it better". By the same token, nobody but Emma Sulkowicz can create her Mattress masterpiece, because people tend to have morals.

Concerning My Bed, let me quote a critic's reaction:

Emin's art defies all notions of universal spactorship or objective criteria. I, for one, found myself worshiping her as a goddess and eating up even the most banal details.​
-- Bill Arning, "Tracey Emin at Lehmann Maupin", Art in America, December 1999, 114-115​

Not only "artists", art critics are a degenerate bunch and should be baked in oven.

Last edited:

Lemmingwise

Don't speak to me or my daughter ever again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think a significant part of the reason that "art" has gone to shit over that past century is it has become all about the artist and whatever "message" they are saying
Well yes, that's why it became about the message. It's harder to use art to launder money if it requires a lot of work to make the art.

BadTakeCrucifier

They should have never gave you niggas Twitter
kiwifarms.net
Almost everyone of those "How to draw anime/manga" books would fit. I think anyone that showed even a small interest in anime received at least some variation of these from their parents or relatives growing up.
View attachment 1525521View attachment 1525526
I think I was spared a cursed life of the weeb artist, because I remember picking up a couple of those books from school and gaining negative knowledge that gave me general disgust.

These books are filled with literally the worst anime drawing tips imaginable.

Bleacher

kiwifarms.net
I can say from experience that the deal with fine arts is just pure money laundering and avoiding taxes. You have these idiots from academia that actually believe this shit, and then there are the actual ''patrons'' of the arts who are powerful people using shitty art as bitcoin.
The ''artists'' themselves barely get a cut of those ridiculous sums of money, most of these go to to the galleries which then start moving those shekels around for the rich and powerful.
Sure there are some legit fine art business and artists that sell good stuff, but it is much less profitable.
Former fine arts student, worked as gallery curator in my communist homeland.

Obreon

Quite an experience to live in fear...
kiwifarms.net
You seem to know a lot a about it.
I heard too that Gala was the smart one, and that she was a very cold woman; extremely cunning and intelligent. I heard even that she was the one responsible for Dali's success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azafran90

Azafran90

Sexiest cenobite "alive"
kiwifarms.net
You seem to know a lot a about it.
I heard too that Gala was the smart one, and that he was a very cold woman; extremely cunning and intelligent. I heard even that she was the one responsible for Dali's success.
She was, she would find clients for him, read to him while he painted and basically be his tard-wrangler.
All Dalí had to do was be the face of the brand, say a few nonsensical words to strangers and maybe shit himself at times.
Really, sometimes artists wives were responsible for the husband's success, they would take jobs to keep the house on float, find clients and organize expositions. Most of the time, they'd throw their own dreams of being artists through the window so their autist husband would succeed.
In the case of Van Gogh, It was his brother Theo in spite of having a family of his own, and in Remedios Varo's, her husband was rich enough to pull her from her job as scientific illustrator and allow her to dedicate herself to art.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
Allow me to introduce you all to The Museum of Bad Art. It's a Web 1.0 survivor, and it's chock full of some of the worst art you can find.
What keeps a folk artist like Howard Finster from being regarded as producing bad art? Just curious, because a lot of the stuff they have on that site reminds me of him. Yet he was highly regarded. Just a critical circle jerk to elevate him, or is there something to his art I'm missing? 🤔
finster02.jpgfinster01.jpg

edit:
Somebody has to post this, in a thread like this. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Tags
None