Obscure game you have played - What have you played that you think, maybe, nobody else here has played?

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Dagger of Amon Ra: A lesser known Sierra point-and-click adventure game (they made the Leisure suit Larry and Space/Police Quest games) where you're a lady reporter during the Jazz Age and have to solve the case of a missing dagger while the suspects start dropping like flies. You even get some creative kills to boot. (Yes, I know there was a prequel that I haven't played.)

Zan

kiwifarms.net
I rented this from blockbuster for my Sega Cd. Game weirded the fuck out of me and I never got too far. You're this kid exploring an old mansion that's haunted by ghosts who are butterflies? Its a point and click adventure in the vein of Myst and D.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
So I found a game in a charity shop the other day called El Matador which appears to be a terrible GTA clone set in South America, not to be confused with Boiling Point: Road To Hell which is a terrible GTA clone set in south America which has an intro theme which is.. well, it's ju... fuck it here.
El Matador seems weird and I haven't yet dug out my XP system to be able to play it. Anybody ever played it?

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
So I found a game in a charity shop the other day called El Matador which appears to be a terrible GTA clone set in South America, not to be confused with Boiling Point: Road To Hell which is a terrible GTA clone set in south America which has an intro theme which is.. well, it's ju... fuck it here.
El Matador seems weird and I haven't yet dug out my XP system to be able to play it. Anybody ever played it?
That Boiling Point song, I remember it... It was so long ago since I played it but aside from the intro/installation I think it at one point plays during some dramatic lead-up while driving a car to some place and the song reaches its crescendo shortly after the car begins flipping around then starts ping-ponging between rocks and palm tress launching it deeper and deeper into the jungle. That game was janky as fuck but kind of cool, a Eastern-European Far Cry 2 made in a quarter of the time on one tenth of the budget.

Both Boiling Point and STALKER have some roots in the "VENOM. Codename: Outbreak" game.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
That Boiling Point song, I remember it... It was so long ago since I played it but aside from the intro/installation I think it at one point plays during some dramatic lead-up while driving a car to some place and the song reaches its crescendo shortly after the car begins flipping around then starts ping-ponging between rocks and palm tress launching it deeper and deeper into the jungle. That game was janky as fuck but kind of cool, a Eastern-European Far Cry 2 made in a quarter of the time on one tenth of the budget.

Both Boiling Point and STALKER have some roots in the "VENOM. Codename: Outbreak" game.
That game was like 100% jank and no game. Did you ever fly a plane? Or at least try to. The original unpatched version of Boiling Point had a bug where if the plane so much as brushed a tree it would detonate in a ball of flame. Then they fixed that by making the plane drop like a stone if you let go of W for some fucking reason.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
That game was like 100% jank and no game. Did you ever fly a plane? Or at least try to. The original unpatched version of Boiling Point had a bug where if the plane so much as brushed a tree it would detonate in a ball of flame. Then they fixed that by making the plane drop like a stone if you let go of W for some fucking reason.
I don't remember if I tried to fly a plane(was there helicopters?) because everything was so fucked and it all blends together in a janky mind-montage with "BOILING POINT" playing over it. And it was so long ago... Even driving a car down a straight and empty road was perilous, who knows what could happen!

My most frequent memories is getting out of a vehicle that is now deep in the jungle, checking the map to get my bearings then start going in one direction and soon after that jaguars will probably eat me unless I stumble into a tent/drug refinery, then those guys will shoot me.

It's one of those games that have some charm while being so bad you actually want to go deeper, where does it end.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
I don't remember if I tried to fly a plane(was there helicopters?) because everything was so fucked and it all blends together in a janky mind-montage with "BOILING POINT" playing over it. And it was so long ago... Even driving a car down a straight and empty road was perilous, who knows what could happen!

My most frequent memories is getting out of a vehicle that is now deep in the jungle, checking the map to get my bearings then start going in one direction and soon after that jaguars will probably eat me unless I stumble into a tent/drug refinery, then those guys will shoot me.

It's one of those games that have some charm while being so bad you actually want to go deeper, where does it end.
I got to a point where I had a choice (allegedly) of working for either a drug cartel or the agents trying to take this cartel down. The cartel lived in a big mansion and the agents all hung out literally 100 yards away down the road in a place that might as well have had a big fucking neon sign that simply said "NOT A LISTENING OR OBSERVATION POST NOTHING TO SEE HERE!" I decided to side with the agents, got into a gunfight in the mansion and the listening post was so close the fucking crossfire made the agents go hostile to me and broke my save game.

Captain Manning

"Good luck, kid."
kiwifarms.net
Terminator Skynet and Future Shock for the PC.

These were kinda obscure at the time, and dropped over the radar screen for many years later, but I think they might be a little less obscure now because of who made them: These were Todd Howard's first games for Bethesda. They weren't half bad, but I can confirm they were buggy as fuck in keeping with how Bethesda has always released games.

Kiwifarms-relevant bonus @1:44: "Please go back to whatever Channel Awesome production you came from."

000%

kiwifarms.net
Grand Master on the NES. It's a surprisingly OK action RPG with solid music and graphics (for the era) and an incredibly forgiving swing arc for the hero's sword. However, it does require you to beat levels in a specific way and find "hidden" things inside them. Otherwise you get a bad end at the final stage.

Still a nice way to spend 30-60 minutes though.

Bum Driller

Cultural Appropriator & Cowboy Chemist
kiwifarms.net
TIM - The Incredible Machine(PC):

This game was a platformer-like engineering puzzle game, where you had to use a number of extremely varied objects(revolvers, balloons, cats, some kind of bird, buckets, water taps, bowling balls etc.) to make things happen. It also included a level editor to make your own puzzles. Graphics were surprisingly good for it's time, early nineties, and it had almost inifinite replay value if you were interested in tinkering with the editor.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
For reasons I still don't understand my dad bought Pyst back in the mid 90's. As the name suggests, Pyst is supposed to be a parody of Myst, which was very popular at the time. My dad did not play Myst. Nobody in my house played Myst. One of the big selling points of Pyst, beyond being a parody of Myst, is that it featured a FMV starring John Goodman. That alongside it's dirt cheap price and the chance to make fun of something popular is probably why my dad bought it.

Pysts gameplay involves showing a picture of an area. Clicking on certain things shows a brief animation or a postcard left by some other "player" that came before you. Occasionally you get a short FMV. When you get bored you can move to a different screen and experience the same thing over again. This continues until you get completely bored of the game, shove the disc back into the box, and never play it again.

I still don't know why my dad bought the damn thing.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net

This game was a platformer-like engineering puzzle game, where you had to use a number of extremely varied objects(revolvers, balloons, cats, some kind of bird, buckets, water taps, bowling balls etc.) to make things happen. It also included a level editor to make your own puzzles. Graphics were surprisingly good for it's time, early nineties, and it had almost inifinite replay value if you were interested in tinkering with the editor.
I played a game similar to it called Bill's Tomato Game. Its on the Amiga but I played the Genesis/MD version that got dumped. Other than the awkward Euro Platforming hub level, the game is a great physic puzzler and a shame it never got released.

vertexwindi

Ay yo this beat is bananas
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

How nostalgic, I used to play TIM all the time as a kid, it was God Tier.

Remove Goat

what're you gonna do bout it fag
kiwifarms.net
Elona, a free Japanese rougelike who's stated purpose is to make you die with a smile. It's more of a cult game than obscure, but it's never quite been one of those mainstream things like the Room was. IIRC it released in Japan in 2004 and was translated a few years later.

Most of the actual story is literally lost in translation, as the "official" translation wound up cutting out like 95% of the cutscenes for whatever reason. Your player character isn't the hero of the story, as you're just some rando adventurer that set sail on a ship that sunk and you're rescued by the actual heroes.

The mechanics are more percentage based than d20/DnD inspired (such as accuracy), though your damage is rather DnD.
ex1.png
1. Races have benefits and negatives to certain stats as well as determine what skills you start with.
2. Sex is utterly cosmetic in this game. You can "create a gene" with your companions regardless of what species or gender they are and use that to create a legacy character that inherits your shit and some of your stats.
3. Class is a sort of specialization. You gain extra skills, gain higher levels of some, their progression goes a bit faster at first, etc. Some classes are fine, others are broken if abused. There's a Pianist class that allows you to throw goddamn pianos around iirc and because they weigh like 200 pounds they're stupidly powerful.
4. Age is meaningless. It goes up every in-game year.
5. Height and weight are also meaningless. They can be adjusted, but there's no point.
6. INI, I forget what that does.
7. AP is important in the second act, as it's sort of an extra currency you use to gain special abilities.
8. There's 7 (or 8, depending on what variant you're using) gods that you can worship. Worshiping a god grants special abilities that are different for each god and I believe they get stronger the more favor your god has for you.
9. There's 3 guilds, the fighter's guild, mages guild, and the thieves guild. There's not much point in joining one beyond getting more skills.
10. Your attributes are easy to figure out. Strength makes you hit harder, constitution modifies your resistances, dexterity makes you harder to hit, perception helps your accuracy. Learning is kind of the useless stat, it only really helps you read and even then the actual Reading skill is more useful. Will does some stuff with gods and I think helps your magic resistances. Magic is self-explanatory. Charisma works a lot like it does in Fallout 1&2. The more you have, the more companions you can have. Convincing others is easier, etc.
11. Potential is the method Elona employs to make sure you're not blazing through stat levels by making the rate of experience you get towards a stat lower after you go up a point. It's kind of a mixed bag. The means to raise your potential back up depends on the stat, and some are limited or hard to come by.
12. HP/MP are your raw values, I believe.
13. & 14. Life and Mana are percentages of your raw values, if I recall. The values in () are either your original percentages or your current max if it's modified.
15. You can go insane, either by indulging in cannibalism or being attacked by certain moves. Some enemies mere presence can make you go insane, I believe. It's mostly just an interface screw. Your log will occasionally get a scizzo message.
16. Speed is arguably the most important stat. It modifies how fast you are in relation to others. If you're too slow, enemies can have multiple moves - dozens if you're particularly outsped. It's also a bitch to get up.
17. Fame is obvious. You do shit for people, your name travels. People will offer harder tasks as your fame grows. NPCs have fame as well, and there's a list of randomly generated NPCs who are adventurers just like you, and you can come across them. Fame also does more, but it's not too important.
18. Karma is more your standing with the world. It's still implemented like everything else that uses karma. Do good, be good. Do bad, be bad. If your karma dips too low, I think people stop talking to you and bad things happen.
19. Cargo weight is the sum of what you're carrying. For some reason it uses Stone as the unit of measurement despite almost no one using it anymore.
20. Cargo limit is your carry limit. Being halfway there makes you go slower, and I you start taking damage if you go over the limit. Going far over the limit nails you to the fucking ground and ramps up the damage, so you can pick up a portal to another dimension and die the next turn because it's 5000 pounds and squishes you. You'll also fall down stairs if you're over-encumbered, and you'll snap your neck if your health is too low.
21. Equipment weight is exactly what it says. The weight of your equipment affects almost everything about fighting. Heavier equipment is almost useless because it makes you too slow and makes your evasion shit. Light or Medium loadouts are pretty much the only viable setups.
22. Your profile is flavor text that you randomly generate on creation. It means nothing.
23. Combat rolls are familiar to anyone who's played an old RPG or a game of DnD. Even if you have 100% or higher on hit rates, you can still miss if the enemy has a higher evasion, and visa versa.

ex2.png
There's too many skills to go over, but progression is Elder Scrolls-like in how they progress on use.

ex3.png
Feats are really just perks, but they're more... esoteric. Most grant you a new ability and only a few change the mechanics of your character. You get to pick a few on creation, but the more immediately useful ones you get via mutation. Basically just drink water enough times and you'll get a tiered stat change, either positive or negative.

Elona's got quite a bit of charm. When you go into the closest town, you get to choose what your first pet is. Your choices are a dog, a cat, and a little girl.
lg.png

Amusingly the little girl can start off older than your character and the youngest age you can be is 16.
character.png
(The full vanilla charset)
There's quite a few pop culture references spread around the game. You can fight xenomorphs (albeit without an accompanying sprite, their gimmick is a chestburster), an NPC named Arnold who speaks Schwarzenegger quotes, a cat hater named Greg, an explosive enemy named Hard Gay who screams FOOOOOO, Big Daddies with Little Sisters...

You can melt to death by acidic spit, you can piss off a neko goddess of luck who kills everything on the screen, you can free a fire giant in the middle of a town who will proceed to burn everyone alive and destroy the town, you can buy a nuclear bomb and deploy it in a town or have it crush you so you wind back up in the cave you started in and use it to kill the people who saved you for their weapons, murder the king of the land by reverse pickpocketing cursed food into his inventory, kill an orphan and give their corpse as an offering to your god while selling their skin...

Oh, yeah, and you can play music so badly people will stone you to death to shut you up. Fun times.

I mentioned there's variants of Elona. Development of the game officially died and the creator gave the source code to some people who in turn made Elona+, a version of the game that is more feature rich and refined than the original and is still being developed.
There's also Elona+Custom, which further expands on some of the changes of Elona+, translates much of E+'s Japan only content, and allows the user to customize aspects of the game to their choosing by way of modifying some of the game's files.
Elona Omake is of a similar vein as E+C, as it provides further customizability, with the ability to create custom items, characters, gods, etc, though at the expense of quite a bit of E+ content. It's difficulty is also much more lenient, but that's really up to the user if that's an issue.

It has a wiki where everything is gathered that is maintained by a dedicated fanbase, but admittedly the quality is inconsistent.

It's a great, albeit grindy game. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get into roguelikes but scared off by their complexity. Dying is less of a concrete ending and more of a setback in Elona.
edit: disregard the attachments, I accidentally uploaded the images twice

Attachments

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino