Obscure game you have played - What have you played that you think, maybe, nobody else here has played?

Syo

kiwifarms.net
Treasure Quest an early windows game with the woman who played Jadzia Dax on DS9 as the lead.
Amber Journey's Beyond an early windows game that required Quicktime to play, it became impossible to play even in an emulated environment due to hardcoding paths for quicktime files of a certain version.

I have many others I enjoy trying out all kinds of games, but these I figured would be least known.

Reactions: The 8 of Spades

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Hole no longer smoking
kiwifarms.net
Time Gate.

Questionable use of the Alone in the Dark engine, this French action adventure from 1996 involves a university student (you) being attacked in your garret in Paris by a time travelling knight who warps in from the 13th century and having to break into a museum to rescue your girlfriend. Only to realise that the museum was a former Knights Templar preceptory and being transported back in time to the 13th century to rescue her.

It was one of those games that blends obscure object combining puzzles with iffy combat with a segment where you have to drive a remote controlled catapult under the alarm lasers to fire a conker at the fire alarm to auto open a locked door.
Oh yeah that game! Time Gate was the first in a series that never happened because the game was shit and that Alone in the Dark engine was old as fuck.
For those curious, it was made by french developer Infogrames, they were the UbiSoft before UbiSoft in a way, the big frenchie at the time before Bruno Bonnell destroyed his own company. The concept of Time Gate sort of got recycled into Assassin's Creed(the past and present premise and the knights templar), there's no real evidence of that but they have conceptual similarities that only those two games/franchises share.

I've never met anyone who played this gem:

There were so many, many RTS games coming out at that time. I remember Gender Wars but it's definetely more obscure than KKND or Dark Reign that came out around the same time.

The Tone Rebellion might be one of the most unknown RTS games from that era. For those that remember the user interfaces of Kai's PowerGoo and Bryce, Tone can be described as "Kai Krause's Starcraft".

Last edited:

Qi Meng Dealer

No one's idea of a hot date
kiwifarms.net
I've got Crystal Caves and Secret Agent Missions. I'm not sure how obscure these were back then, but they're probably obscure now. Love these side-scrollers from Apogee. These games still holds up for me well today (they both have a similar structure and mechanics, and you can say one is somewhat of a reskin of the other), and I sometimes fire up DOSBox to play these games.

For visual reference, Crystal Caves:

Secret Agent Mission:

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've got Crystal Caves and Secret Agent Missions. I'm not sure how obscure these were back then, but they're probably obscure now. Love these side-scrollers from Apogee. These games still holds up for me well today (they both have a similar structure and mechanics, and you can say one is somewhat of a reskin of the other), and I sometimes fire up DOSBox to play these games.

For visual reference, Crystal Caves:
View attachment 677830

Secret Agent Mission:
View attachment 677831
I had Secret Agent, well, the shareware version. Surprisingly moreish but the single episode was kinda enough for me; had I done 2 and 3 it would probably have dragged a bit.

Around the same time, Pickle Wars.

:pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle:

A single person effort from Karen Crowther (a woman in gaming back when we're told there weren't any and they were frozen out by systemic misogyny), with music by Bobby Prince. Yes, that Bobby Prince, who stole loads of heavy metal riffs for his Doom soundtrack.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I've got Crystal Caves
My sister and I used to play Crystal Caves all the time back in the early 90's. It was actually mind blowing at the time as our first computer was a pretty basic DOS system with a black and yellow monitor, so upgrading to a computer with a C drive and Windows with a full color monitor was really big. Anyways apparently the first episode was distributed for free and the other two cost money to get. So I imagine quite a few people with computers back in the early 90's had at least the first episode.

Cool kitties club

Kiwi Farms unofficial pet e-catboy
kiwifarms.net
The 25th Ward: The Silver Case: an mobile game visual novel considered lost until it was re-released on the PS4 in 2018. The Silver Case games are probably my favorite visual novel series and have an incredibly interesting story. It's not necessarily a fun game but I've always liked subversive stories that blow your mind, for instance this game has like 100 endings which is pretty crazy.

The 8 of Spades

This Is Our Church, These Are Your Sins.
kiwifarms.net
The 25th Ward: The Silver Case: an mobile game visual novel considered lost until it was re-released on the PS4 in 2018. The Silver Case games are probably my favorite visual novel series and have an incredibly interesting story. It's not necessarily a fun game but I've always liked subversive stories that blow your mind, for instance this game has like 100 endings which is pretty crazy.
That's odd, I swear I saw that on the PS store when I was picking up Call of Cthulhu and Prey yesterday. I'll have to go back and take a closer look at it now.

Cool kitties club

kiwifarms.net
That's odd, I swear I saw that on the PS store when I was picking up Call of Cthulhu and Prey yesterday. I'll have to go back and take a closer look at it now.
Make sure you play the previous games first though. First play The Silver Case also on ps4 then play Flower, Sun, and Rain on the DS (this one is harder to find so I'd emulate or watch a play through). Also The Silver Case and The 25th Ward have multiple campaigns so it's recommended you play them all at the same time (campaign A 1, campaign B 1, campaign A 2, campaign B 2) as it makes the plot alot more understandable.

The 8 of Spades

kiwifarms.net
Make sure you play the previous games first though. First play The Silver Case also on ps4 then play Flower, Sun, and Rain on the DS (this one is harder to find so I'd emulate or watch a play through). Also The Silver Case and The 25th Ward have multiple campaigns so it's recommended you play them all at the same time (campaign A 1, campaign B 1, campaign A 2, campaign B 2) as it makes the plot alot more understandable.
Pretty sure I have a ROM of that already in my game archives. And just to be clear, for S. Case & 25th, I should play both alternate paths before moving on. Or are you saying play both games at the same time for the PS4 ones?

Cool kitties club

kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure I have a ROM of that already in my game archives. And just to be clear, for S. Case & 25th, I should play both alternate paths before moving on. Or are you saying play both games at the same time for the PS4 ones?
In The Silver Case there are two campaigns Transmitter and Placebo while the 25th ward had three. Each campaign follows different characters at the same time and explain different parts of the other's story, so I recommend playing Transmitter chapter one then Placebo chapter one rather then playing all of Transmitter and all of Placebo.

The 8 of Spades

kiwifarms.net
In The Silver Case there are two campaigns Transmitter and Placebo while the 25th ward had three. Each campaign follows different characters at the same time and explain different parts of the other's story, so I recommend playing Transmitter chapter one then Placebo chapter one rather then playing all of Transmitter and all of Placebo.
Okay, that makes more sense now. Thanks again!

UnclePhil

Getting older in a changing, frightening world.
kiwifarms.net
Oddly enough, Obscure, a survival horror/slasher game where you control five teenagers and try to keep as many alive as possible, Maniac Mansion style.

I had a copy for a little while and then lost it. I never see it mentioned or brought up anywhere.

Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Piss

kiwifarms.net
I discovered a neat little puzzle game for Game Boy called Out of Gas. Fly a spaceship around and hit targets while your perpetually bored girlfriend waits for you to fill up the tank of your spaceship in the cutscenes.

It's alright. If you've ever played Fun House on NES, it's that game but easier. Play it on a GB emulator on your phone next time you take a shit and have fun.

Attachments

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately I don't remember the name of this particular game, but it's a PC game that's an interactive take on the Peter Pan story. The twist is that you have a magic pencil, eraser, and paint pallet with you on your adventure and you can pick from them to help get out of trouble. For example the eraser can erase an obstacle, while the pencil can draw something to help you, and the paint can change the state of something. I enjoyed it a lot when I was young.

Meaty Spaghetti

kiwifarms.net
Po'ed for 3d0/PS1 it was a FPS that was pretty much like Doom and it was weird you played as some Chef Guy, who could do back-flips and you fought butt monsters that pooped on you, the levels were weirdly designed, you had weird weapons like a frying Pan and Butcher Knives and a Drill when you used the Drill to kill Enemies blood would splatter on the screen and after you were done a big ol hand would appear and wipe the blood away, The was a Meat Ball Gun that shot like purple meat balls that bounced everywhere and you got this one Rocket Launcher that let you control the missile, I remember you could get enough power ups in the game to get like over 900 health and same with weapon ammo.

AD&D Slayer for 3d0, it was First Person Dungeon Crawler Rpg which had very good customization options like ability to create your character and class, which changed what starting equipment you had, it had to ablity to make it a short or long game i think short was 15 levels and long was 30 and you had ablity to change the level seed as well so you could have like endless amounts of levels to play, i remember playing this a shitload as a kid

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino