Official Health Speculation & Cancer Discussion - muh mentals, hulthy just big

Punkinsplice

An cermet and I talk shit about you
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I the cancer has affected her lymph nodes it could have caused the leg situation - = just speculation
The leg situation has been going on a very long time, as in many years. I am sure, though, that the cancer situation hasn't helped the leg situation and has likely made it super serious situation type deal now, though.

Moonpie

Ride the Lightening
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’d think she would have a specialized bed at the very least. Those beds are amazing, they do all kinds of shit, and they are probably expensive as hell if a hospital has to rent one.
Yes she would probably be on a good bed in her room but they will still have to get her on the surgery bed/gurney. They don't operate on the same bed.

kiwifarms.net
The leg situation has been going on a very long time, as in many years. I am sure, though, that the cancer situation hasn't helped the leg situation and has likely made it super serious situation type deal now, though.
last year she said the layyyg was really hurting her. she went to the doctor thinking it was a blood clot... doctor probably told her to get some tests but like usual AL knows what works for her, so just ignored it.

literally low-key

kiwifarms.net
Back in the 90s when the macrobiotic diet was popular I saw several patients going on it after a cancer diagnosis. One plucky motherfucker managed to reverse cirrhosis with it. So...yeah there's probably something there.
Cirrhosis is scarring of the liver. Once it is scarred it cannot be reversed. So I would doubt your expertise.

SweatPee

Your favorite smell has arrived.
kiwifarms.net
Cirrhosis is scarring of the liver. Once it is scarred it cannot be reversed. So I would doubt your expertise.
Isn't the liver one of the few organs that can repair itself after being damaged? Hence liver lobe donations? I know cirrhosis is real but it might be case-by-case in terms of severity and prognosis. Can any med experts give input?

Last edited:

phoenixrrt762

kiwifarms.net
She absolutely knows when it is. OR time, anesthesia, post-op bed and care all need to be coordinated.
Oh, yeah, she’d have to have at least a tentative date, and they will usually confirm it a day or 2 before and make damn sure the patient follows pre surgery instructions.

People are kinda bonkers, they sometimes think the rules don’t really apply, they are just suggestions, and surgery has to be cancelled because they were ‘so hungry’ and had a hot dog, ‘but that’s all’ or they did drugs or something silly. We thought the hot dog was kinda funny, but we were pissed we wasted a fucking setup and had to toss supplies away.

I can see AL doing a muck bang the night before surgery, ugh. ‘It’s just a LITTLE snack, I’ll be fine, you haterz, u don’t know....”

phoenixrrt762

kiwifarms.net
Yes she would probably be on a good bed in her room but they will still have to get her on the surgery bed/gurney. They don't operate on the same bed.
Oh, the surgery table!......yes, true. That....I’m not sure, the surgery table we use is tiny, and we have to actually strap you in with a belt that’s just like a seat belt, and strap your arms on arm rests that can be adjusted to assist the OR team for IV access.

I’m guessing she’d be on a specialized table that tips her so they have the best possible access. I’ve seen them, but the table that we have to use can tip you downward only so far, and there would be no WAY she would fit on the table.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
Oh, the surgery table!......yes, true. That....I’m not sure, the surgery table we use is tiny, and we have to actually strap you in with a belt that’s just like a seat belt, and strap your arms on arm rests that can be adjusted to assist the OR team for IV access.

I’m guessing she’d be on a specialized table that tips her so they have the best possible access. I’ve seen them, but the table that we have to use can tip you downward only so far, and there would be no WAY she would fit on the table.
Back in the day they just used to shove two tables together. You can imagine how that went.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
Isn't the liver one of the few organs that can repair itself after being damaged? Hence liver lobe donations? I know cirrhosis is real but it might be case-by-case in terms of severity and prognosis. Can any medfags give input?
Yeah, but that's not really relevant in cirrhosis though. More like if you have a partial hepatectomy. It'll regenerate after an acute injury but chronic injury (like whatever caused you to get cirrhosis) is harder for it to deal with.

Cirrhosis was always thought to be irreversible because it worsens itself. the tl;dr is that there's a lot of crap building up in the extracellular matrix like collagen and adipose tissue that causes a release of cytokines, which leads to inflammation and further liver damage which leads to more cytokines, etc. It's a feedback loop.

Tiny Clanger

Sigh...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But a misdiagnosis or some other aspect (sometimes punches can remove entire problems but I dunno in the case of the liver. But anyway, there have been cases where punch biopsy shows cancer but it actually removed it all) is far more likely than a one-time miracle cure via some abstract and unrepeatable method.

All this stuff has been researched to death - read "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre, anything by Randi, the book considered the final word which I can't find which means my fucking brother stole it and I need to kill him (I'll edit and add the name when my useless brain coughs up the info) and the evidence is very, very clear. None of these peculiar practices do anything they are proposed to; what they do is give the patient a sense of control and a subsequent boost in the already phenomenally strong placebo effect. Placebo is an incredible expression of mind-over-matter and good doctors will induce it at every opportunity. Quacks will take it and claim it is the result of their magic water that has been thumped a certain way, any number of insane dietary restrictions, sticking needles in us and all the rest of the "alternative" medicine. If it works, it's incorporated into medicine.

Macrobiotic doesn't cure cancer. Veganism doesn't. Homeopathy, acupuncture, reflexology, drinking your own piss and praying to baby Jesus/Allah/Kim Jong Null don't cure cancer. They rrally, really don't and there are a huge amount of extremely clear, blind-tested and peer reviewed studies into all of it. And anecdotal evidence isn't going to change that.

If you want, I'll make a separate thread for these discussions and then it doesn't derail here and I can stop being grumpy and go back to being a spastic.

Edit: good sources
Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst: Trick or Treatment (the definitive)
Ben Goldacre: Bad Science / I think it's a bit more complicated than that
Rose Shapiro: Suckers; How alternative medicine makes fools of us all
John Diamond: Snake Oil
Martin Gardner: Fads and Fallacies
Roger Hargreaves: Mr.Bump (oh, hold on. That's in the wrong place. Ignore)

Last edited:

Billie Ross

Duh
kiwifarms.net
Imagine 500lbs of blubber sliding to the floor after they tip the table... how many people can the grease ball hurt in her way down?
That doesn't matter tho, what matter is the safety of the behemoth.... jeez

Case 3—Failed Regional Block, Conversion to General Anesthesia.
A 50-year-old morbidly obese woman presented for left shoulder surgery. Following a failed interscalene block, the anesthesiologist decided to convert to general anesthesia with placement of a laryngeal mask airway. The initial administration of 200 mg of intravenous propofol proved inadequate, so the anesthesiologist turned to obtain another syringe of induction medication. While turned away from the patient for a moment, there was a loud thud noise. When the anesthesiologist spun back around, the patient was lying on the floor. Immediate medical care ensured adequate ventilation while a quick physical examination revealed no obvious skeletal injuries to the patient. However, in the weeks following the surgery, the patient complained of pain in her left elbow, left hip, and neck as well as her right shoulder. A lawsuit was settled for $70,000 and $19,500 LAE.
Quote from: Falls From the O.R. or Procedure Table

Tags
None