Official Kiwi Farms Pleroma Server - pt 3: official flagship instance of the fediverse

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I watched Florentin Raud (kyzh)'s talk at FOSDEM2020 and it was a total waste of everyone's time. It was a legitimately bad talk, and I'm not just saying that for political reasons. 10 minutes of rambling and whining with no substance whatsoever. It was like the real-life materialization of the pointless whining you see on Mastodon.

Main take aways
>fashies are bad (no definition)
>block them
>also block the larger instances
>mastodon.social should disable registrations so more people spread to instances like mine
>refused to actually say Gab or Kiwi Farms out loud, because he's a cowardly cuck

QA
>everyone talks about how much time it takes to manually investigate fashy accounts (silently wishing for machine learning bans twitter-style)

https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/dip_decentralize_fediverse/

Someone ask me how much time I spend moderating kiwifarms.cc

can we get kiwifarms.cc to work with brutaldon?https://github.com/jfmcbrayer/brutaldon
This interests me, I will investigate and possibly host a copy of it.

Note: this appears to be a completely client-side application, so you could self-host it locally on your own box, I do this with the riot-web client.

nevermind it's Django soyware, NO LONGER INTERESTED

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
>everyone talks about how much time it takes to manually investigate fashy accounts (silently wishing for machine learning bans twitter-style)
Why the fuck would you have to investigate them? If there are all these straight on full up Nazis marching around throwing Roman salutes and annexing the Sudetenland, surely you just ban those guys right?

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why the fuck would you have to investigate them? If there are all these straight on full up Nazis marching around throwing Roman salutes and annexing the Sudetenland, surely you just ban those guys right?
They believe there is a constant race to make dog whistling more and more subtle. Suddenly they need to investigate the motivation behind the okay sign emojis and such.

lakyus

kiwifarms.net
This interests me, I will investigate and possibly host a copy of it.

Note: this appears to be a completely client-side application, so you could self-host it locally on your own box, I do this with the riot-web client.

nevermind it's Django soyware, NO LONGER INTERESTED
Maybe something like this would work? However it's written in Go and the readme file implies it's to be set up only locally: https://git.freesoftwareextremist.com/bloat/

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe something like this would work? However it's written in Go and the readme file implies it's to be set up only locally: https://git.freesoftwareextremist.com/bloat/
I'm not interested in anything that's an active server-side service to provide an alternative client. I only want static clients, which implies javascript. If you want to run an server-side service locally than that's something you can totally do. Brutaldon runs their own client you can use for KF, it's just questionable from a security perspective.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm doing prolonged database maintenance, that is why the server is down right now. Hopefully back soon.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I apologize again for the downtime. If the migration does not finish in the next ~6 hours I will try to abort/revert the procedure.

To give some more information on what's going on. We've reached the limit of our SSD space. I've migrated to the DB to the spacious pair of RAID1 HDDs. This didn't take too long.

I've been trying to get full text search working for awhile. This requires the RUM extension in PostgreSQL. When I had originally setup the Pleroma I enabled this, but it wasn't obvious that I needed to manually run a DB migration process in addition to this. So I'm doing this.

1581721798676.png

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm happy to announce the migration was completed successfully, which consisted of re-indexing 20190510135645 objects in 69971.2s

Full text search now works.

I've also tweaked the postgres configs on both the synapse and matrix servers to try to get them to cache more in RAM. I've also moved their WAL files onto the now basically unused SSD to balance out the IO.

Last edited:
Tags
None