Official Kiwi Farms Pleroma Server - pt 3: official flagship instance of the fediverse

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

attractive_pneumonia

kiwifarms.net
Is it possible to run bots on the various Fediverse instances? Also is it possible to replicate a Tweetdeck setup? I don't exactly use Twitter for socializing, nor do I really feel like I'd actually use the Fediverse for that end either. I use Tweetdeck with a few lists with various outlets in each list and run an electron app to view it as a desktop application. This lets me use it as a news blotter, I followed the riots using this method for most of the summer. Since I run my own Nitter instance I could use the rss feature to scrape the accounts I desire and auto post it using Huginn which is an IFTT service, but I'm not really sure if it is common for public instances on the Fediverse to allow bot posting via the API.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is it possible to run bots on the various Fediverse instances? Also is it possible to replicate a Tweetdeck setup? I don't exactly use Twitter for socializing, nor do I really feel like I'd actually use the Fediverse for that end either. I use Tweetdeck with a few lists with various outlets in each list and run an electron app to view it as a desktop application. This lets me use it as a news blotter, I followed the riots using this method for most of the summer. Since I run my own Nitter instance I could use the rss feature to scrape the accounts I desire and auto post it using Huginn which is an IFTT service, but I'm not really sure if it is common for public instances on the Fediverse to allow bot posting via the API.
  • There are 'TweetDeck'ish clients (haven't tried this one, but it looks good)- I believe the default Mastodon setup works this way.
  • There's some good stable APIs for bots, but I suspect most instances would look askance on you running a bunch of them. There's a few instances where the owner runs Twitter-> Fediverse bots for accounts that they're interested in.
  • I wonder if you might be better off with just using the Nitter RSS feeds to read on an RSS reader of your choice?

ditto

kiwifarms.net
Not Plemora, but I have bots running on mastodon.online. No trouble with them so long as you mark the account as a Bot in the account settings.

Aquinas

Local Forum Celebrity
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
people still use the kiwipleroma?
i thought that chinese fag and the boomers from Not!Reddit ruined it for everyone

NewFriend

Sorry, no tracking numbers.
kiwifarms.net
people still use the kiwipleroma?
i thought that chinese fag and the boomers from Not!Reddit ruined it for everyone
What did the chinknigger do?
And yeah, pleroma is comfy. Even the trannies will call you a niggerfaggot

Aquinas

Local Forum Celebrity
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
he was some underage exceptional individual who kept sexually harassing literally everyone

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So is this going to be a viable alternative for our community in the new Chinese Internet if KF goes down?

ChromaticAberration

kiwifarms.net
So is this going to be a viable alternative for our community in the new Chinese Internet if KF goes down?
Not quite, the kiwi Pleroma instance shares infrastructure with the forum. If Josh is forced to pull the plug, chances are the instance, the matrix server, etc. will go down as well.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not quite, the kiwi Pleroma instance shares infrastructure with the forum. If Josh is forced to pull the plug, chances are the instance, the matrix server, etc. will go down as well.

Well I meant the broader concept of the fediverse. Could we legally and safely sustain a KF using it?

attractive_pneumonia

kiwifarms.net
There are 'TweetDeck'ish clients (haven't tried this one, but it looks good)- I believe the default Mastodon setup works this way.
I tried compiling that, it works... kinda. It has weird Japanese design problems that are grating to deal with. I opted to go with Sengi which is designed to mimic Tweetdeck and is all around a better experience. I went from using the KF instance to rolling my own personal Pleroma instance, I had a few problems initially with, opting to do a compiled build vs the OTP variant, once I went for the OPT build I found myself dealing with a different problem: Pleroma did a "bug fix" to deal with a security issue involving spoofed/false status updates and that broke the ability to relay with a lot of instances. Almost no Mastodon instance can be relayed with until they update to a more current version, something that takes time. It seems most Pleroma relays are functional though. I've found the Fediverse to be much more amusing than Twitter for sure, the old bags at Spinster are fucking hilarious and I love watching their anti-trans rant sessions cross my timelines. They're easily the most anti-trans group I've found on the internet outside of the /pol/ crowd.

As for bots, I've tabled that option for the immediate present as the Floyd riots have mostly ended and I no longer have need for a news blotter and I've become rather busy in the real world. I do intend to write up some kind of Nitter RSS -> Pleroma bridge once I bother reading more of the documentation. My quick skimming at high speed didn't really indicate where and how one generates API keys for Pleroma, but as I said, this is a job for later.

Rusty Crab

cowboy hats are crab hats
kiwifarms.net
So with twitter doing it's great purges (and KF having a banner advertising it), it seems like this place might get more use (the fediverse in general, I mean). I've gotta be honest though, this interface is so cluttered and inconsistent that it's actually stressful to look at. There's tons of information in your face that doesn't need to be there and lots of space taken up by words that would be better suited as icons. Even in places that do you icons you get inconsistent sizing like this

1610234444377.png

Sorting through conversations is also difficult as they appear to be non-contiguous (meaning, other unrelated conversations are inserted in the middle of yours). Also, not 5 minutes in I'm getting hit by spammers, but I realize that's a bigger demon to deal with.

I realize that this is how it comes prepackaged. Considering that, has there been serious conversation about switching to Soapbox? I haven't used it, but at least from screenshots it looks far more coherent. Even just a color scheme change on Soapbox could make it more 'KF'ey.

Attachments

• 1610233747381.png
    1610233747381.png
    761.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 1610233895324.png
    1610233895324.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 68

Faster Than Chris Robin

The Unofficial Official Gab Updates Guy
kiwifarms.net
So, while the forum was down, the Pleroma instance exploded! For obvious reasons. That's an exceptional enough feat, but, through word of mouth, this also spawned new Mastodon instances by Twitter influencers you've never heard of, totaling a domino effect somewhere in the ballpark of 100K new registrations in a couple days!

Kiwi Farms is lolcow, and Kiwi Farms is Twitter. Chads, the lot of you!