Official Kiwi Farms Pleroma Server - pt 3: official flagship instance of the fediverse

Make Anime Illegal

CONFISCATE their waifus
kiwifarms.net
So, somebody who's actually studied this whole ActivityPub thing enlighten me, how is this supposed to actually scale? It seems that in order to function, any post from any server must replicate to every other server, since you have users searching/following content being posted by users on other servers. Eventually that's going to equate to massive bandwidth. If there's just a few hundred/thousand servers now it's not a big issue, but in our bright new decentralized future where a billion+ people are trying to use this, how could any node keep up with the traffic?

This blog explains it https://blog.soykaf.com/post/how-federation-works/

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay, interesting. It's being more selective than I'd first assumed. Could still add up to a lot of data, but not as bad as broadcasting everything.
Still a shitshow though, and even if ActivityPub itself is soundly designed (I'm not smart enough nor have I looked into it enough to know), increasing adoption of these federated services will result in ever increasing abuse.

When well-known retard Andrew Torba threw away the work he had his Indian slave do on his own tech stack, and just adopted Mastodon instead, there was a UUUGE increase in Fediverse spam. Some guy made a spam bot that would follow and spam with messages and @ posts everyone on Gab, and it was turned on both Gab and other instances.

Yes... admins can block specific instances, but even in that very early, very minimal case of a Fediverse attack, the guy running it was just jumping between random VPSs. No real way to stop that, without requiring federating servers to actually be whitelisted. Imagine if it was a more serious attacker, with the ability to run the fake instances sending spam across a few thousand home routers...

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
It would be doable to auto-ban on detecting a flood from a given user/server, but then you could offensively use that to get servers you dislike blacklisted by signing up on them and spamming people from them. In fact, if auto-banning isn't already implemented, it's going to have to be at some point in the future if they don't want the entire network full of penis pill ads. Some kind of spam countermeasure is going to need to be in place, because if it ever does catch on it's guaranteed that asshats will begin trying to abuse it.

Rusty Crab

and it kept getting worse...
kiwifarms.net
Are there block/mute lists for news bots? This shit is unrelenting ass cancer.
1611545129589.png

attractive_pneumonia

kiwifarms.net
Are there block/mute lists for news bots? This shit is unrelenting ass cancer.
View attachment 1870245
As someone who runs Twitter relay bots I find his spam somewhat distasteful, not to mention his shit is inconsistent and will be dead for days at a time only to flood the timeline all at once with days worth of backlogs. Mine don't post to the public timeline, you have to actually friend the bot if you want to see the stuff, or someone boosts it into the Federated timeline. I keep them posting only on my personal public timeline and sorted into lists based on topics.

As for muting, your best bet is to just domain block his shit.
1611550051.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty Crab

kiwifarms.net
As someone who runs Twitter relay bots I find his spam somewhat distasteful, not to mention his shit is inconsistent and will be dead for days at a time only to flood the timeline all at once with days worth of backlogs. Mine don't post to the public timeline, you have to actually friend the bot if you want to see the stuff, or someone boosts it into the Federated timeline. I keep them posting only on my personal public timeline and sorted into lists based on topics.

As for muting, your best bet is to just domain block his shit.
ah, neat. That seems like it'll take care of most of it. Thanks.

I'm not going to block a bunch of real users by doing that though, am I?

attractive_pneumonia

kiwifarms.net
ah, neat. That seems like it'll take care of most of it. Thanks.

I'm not going to block a bunch of real users by doing that though, am I?
From what I've seen, its a single user instance like mine. You'll end up blocking some 200-300 bots and one real user. Your call. I don't federate with Baraag and Foxdam so my feed tends to be mainly humans except for when people boost my bot into the Federated feeds. I can't stop that, if it gets boosted I view it as a happy accident as the bot has something worth talking about.

Rusty Crab

kiwifarms.net
Foxfam is a bot only instance, and all the bots are dogshit, you can safely block that one.
yep, I blocked it last night and things are much better now.

Is it just me or is the fediverse extremely bandwidth heavy? Every time I go on there I clock at least half a gig per hour. Maybe lack of image thumbnails or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Faster Than Chris Robin

The Unofficial Official Gab Updates Guy
kiwifarms.net
Is it just me or is the fediverse extremely bandwidth heavy? Every time I go on there I clock at least half a gig per hour. Maybe lack of image thumbnails or something?
PleromaFE and most mobile clients have data saving features, I suggest using them if you're on a limited plan.

The Good Nigger

kiwifarms.net
I'm just here to complain that kiwifarms.cc kind of runs like shit, often gives me 5xx errors and is prone to being super fucking slow - especially when AJAX is loading new posts (or whatever the fuck AJAX is called nowadays).

Faster Than Chris Robin

The Unofficial Official Gab Updates Guy
kiwifarms.net
I'm just here to complain that kiwifarms.cc kind of runs like shit, often gives me 5xx errors and is prone to being super fucking slow - especially when AJAX is loading new posts (or whatever the fuck AJAX is called nowadays).
A lot of sites are having this problem, you should bitch to the devs. It was always one of the smoother instances back when I used it.

Andy Bandy Man

kiwifarms.net
I've been wanting to do a pleroma server and other federated protocols for family and friends. What's the verdict on who provides good DNS services to register with? I'm mostly trying not to vendor lock myself

Distended Gunt

kiwifarms.net
I've been wanting to do a pleroma server and other federated protocols for family and friends. What's the verdict on who provides good DNS services to register with? I'm mostly trying not to vendor lock myself
If you have some spare time and don't mind a bit of autism you could run your own DNS resolver. PowerDNS + MariaDB backend + PowerDNS-Admin as a frontend works pretty well for me. If you're worried about your NSes having shit uptime, you can replicate the zone to a secondary DNS provider, there's a decent comparison table here.

I think the only free one on that table is Hurricane Electric which I've been experimenting with this on one of my zones. One problem has been that HE is slow to fetch updates so it takes like an hour for any changes to go through. They talk about limited or no DNSSEC support with HE but it appears to work fine when used as a slave.

You could use HE as a primary and bypass the nonsense above but keep in mind their ToS is not very based. It looks like they do provide the zone file in their UI so make sure you have a copy as, if you get booted, it'll make setting up shop elsewhere a lot easier.

7he47r0n

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Could you give an update on the current condition of the server, @CrunkLord420? Is the userbase growing, in decline, stagnant? Did the server prove to be little more than a novelty, or quite the opposite, a healthy addition?

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd be interested in hearing how much space the database is taking up alongside the upload material.
61GB for the DB, 100GB of uploads.

Could you give an update on the current condition of the server, @CrunkLord420? Is the userbase growing, in decline, stagnant? Did the server prove to be little more than a novelty, or quite the opposite, a healthy addition?
I can't give numbers, I don't do any type of analytics or keep logs outside troubleshooting/abuse issues. I can only say I think it's steadily growing, it's not declining. There's a new hot instance on the block (poa.st) that's really brought a lot of new users to the free side of the fediverse, some of which end up joining KF. Overall the free side of the fediverse is growing exponentially, not just poa.st but there's a growing number of small servers. I've openly stated that the free side will overtake the hugbox side in the long term, and KF is a part of reaching that critical mass. This critical mass is no longer a hypothesis that you can't see over the horizon, it's clearly on the horizon now.

I've seen others share a sentiment I agree with; twitter posting is combative and performative. Everything is a battle and "toxic". The free side of the fediverse is chill, engagement and actual discussion is far more common. The plebs are not suppressed by the engagement algo where the "popular get more popular, and the plebs get hidden", it's all reverse chronological just like how it was in the early days of twitter. Meanwhile the hugbox side often pushes people away due to rampant mental illness, financial begging and "cancel brigades".

The Good Nigger

kiwifarms.net
What happened to fediverse.network ? Did it just silently die?

Is there any other exhaustive server list. fediverse.party is a curated list of "safe" nodes. Very unhelpful.