Official Kiwi Farms Riot/Matrix Server - pt 8: lol nm

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Synapse is bad software. I've struggled with the fact that running it is unsustainable. The code does not scale in performance. The database will bloat infinitely and the pruning tools available are insufficient. I could rant endlessly about all the various problems with both Synapse and Riot. Simply put the people at New Vector are legitimately bad developers and it's shocking how much money they've been able to grift despite this. I'm not saying this lightly, I'm not being hyperbolic. It's bad, it's all bad.

The DB must be nuked. There's a problem with this. The devs at New Vector never expected anyone to ever want to reset their server, or lose a DB. This may cause actual federation issues with the domain, who knows, the developers don't (seriously). I don't know when this is going to be happening, because I've been putting it off for months already. It will happen though.

If you're worried about getting your username poached, make sure you're identifiable on either the forums or the fediverse so I can resolve any disputes if they happen.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Why the fuck were we de-federated? We didn't even do anything. I want to go apefuck.

samuelfryde

kiwifarms.net
@CrunkLord420 You might be glad to read this. Whilst Dendrite was always supposed to replace Synapse and be horizontally scalable, it seems the devs have bent to the pressure in the meantime, allowing Synapse to be divided into workers.

The issue with DB resetting still remains though. I was disappointed, as my database was corrupted in the early days of my Synapse homeserver, and I lost three months of messages (including DMs). I received little to no help from the devs, but thankfully managed to avoid a reset (for fear of fed issues like you said), after hours of tinkering with the DB.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I refuse to acknowledge the name change in protest of how bad it is. I always hated the names "Riot", "Matrix", "Synapse". They're all bad and "Element" isn't any better. Do better New Vector.

Attachments

• 1595295060067.png
    1595295060067.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 1595295121952.png
    1595295121952.png
    601.8 KB · Views: 112

samuelfryde

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, understandable. What the hell is "Element" even supposed to represent? It's literally worse than any of the nu silicon valley companies adopting simple logos.
What about "Element" or it's icon tells me it's an IM client? If anyone can make draw your companies logo in MS Paint, with <3 colours, that's bad

Violent Ken Apologist

ENFP superstar
kiwifarms.net
That client is cancer. Immediately noped out and uninstalled after seeing some of the stupid shit people were posting in other 'servers.' Not surprising, given that it attracts shady people, but w/e.

I couldn't get to the kiwifarms server with that link anyway. Did something change? Any extra step required?

• Dumb
Reactions: Ms. Cegination

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
New Vector has put out a somewhat concerning statement regarding cracking down on wrongthink: https://matrix.org/blog/2020/10/19/combating-abuse-in-matrix-without-backdoors / https://archive.vn/FdJGs

This statement isn't really surprising after my previous experiences speaking with them. It's not really going affect the KF Matrix server, or the other federated servers that we commonly interact with. What it will likely mean is matrix.org users will become limited in their ability to interact with users outside of a walled garden, similar to the situation on the fediverse where you have two segregated sides of the network.

Within the last week I've been contacted by community managers asking about the viability of moving away from matrix.org to matrix.kiwifarms.net due to crackdowns in email registration, and fear about phone verification. With this new statement I expect more people to be interested in leaving matrix.org. I want to make it clear that the KF Matrix server is open to everyone and is not specific to the forum. I'd estimate that the majority of users of both Matrix and Pleroma are not forum users. I will always use the most privacy-respecting configuration possible and would only require email verification as a temporary measure against ongoing attacks.

Would it be possible to bridge General Chat to a Matrix room?
Not interested in doing this for both technical and community reasons.

Phoneboned's Ghost

kiwifarms.net
As a fellow stupid asshole that uses it, I love the lack of intuitive features. Such as fucking banning people "finding the god damn button" / Having a non Google captcha.
Having people randomly not be trusted, the FUCKING LACK OF COMPARTMENTALIZING UPLOADS "aka dood you cant just let people upload profile pictures" Either all or nothing motherfucker!!!!!

Self hosted is p easy same with jitsi hit a nigger up with any retarded fucking questions.

JESUS CHRIST I HATE FOSS

FUCK YOU TOE JAM STALLMAN
New Vector has put out a somewhat concerning statement regarding cracking down on wrongthink: https://matrix.org/blog/2020/10/19/combating-abuse-in-matrix-without-backdoors / https://archive.vn/FdJGs

This statement isn't really surprising after my previous experiences speaking with them. It's not really going affect the KF Matrix server, or the other federated servers that we commonly interact with. What it will likely mean is matrix.org users will become limited in their ability to interact with users outside of a walled garden, similar to the situation on the fediverse where you have two segregated sides of the network.

Within the last week I've been contacted by community managers asking about the viability of moving away from matrix.org to matrix.kiwifarms.net due to crackdowns in email registration, and fear about phone verification. With this new statement I expect more people to be interested in leaving matrix.org. I want to make it clear that the KF Matrix server is open to everyone and is not specific to the forum. I'd estimate that the majority of users of both Matrix and Pleroma are not forum users. I will always use the most privacy-respecting configuration possible and would only require email verification as a temporary measure against ongoing attacks.

Not interested in doing this for both technical and community reasons.

Attachments

• babyguitar.gif
    babyguitar.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Dumb
Reactions: cjöcker
Tags
None