Official Space Station 13 Server -

Mysterious Girlfriend X

私の涎は甘い…
What do I get from xeno, like what's useful and what are the products of my work?

The stated goal of a xenobiologist is to create a variety of slime extracts that can be used to benefit the station when injected with blood or plasma.

The actual goal of a xenobiologist is to breed gold slimes so you can fill the station with animals and monsters.

NewFriend

Sorry, no tracking numbers.
My favorite ss13 lobby song is Carmen Miranda's Ghost.
Banned from Argo is the obvious lobby music choice

Null said:
okay we need to talk about cargo

While working on the map I've discovered that that's this "mail sorting" shit baked into the disposal loop. Basically, Cargo is actually supposed to wrap shit, tag its destination, and then it shoots up the disposal chute at its destination. The mapping work is very annoying because it necessarily complicates the loop.

I have never seen this used in-game, ever. Not fucking once have I seen the mailroom actually used. I have seen the drop-in sorting chutes on Meta that replace the MULES used.

Basically I want to re-add cargo bounties, but not by directly reverting. I think there's a way to adjust this mailroom delivery system to make cargo fun. I think CentComm should send packages and letters down that can be stamped by heads and sent back up for credits, little packages that may or may not be useful.
I think that making the chutes actually viable requires mulebots to be removed. It's not like anyone would mind that since the little shits always get stuck everywhere
also moving the exit of the sec chute into the department itself would be nice.

Last edited:

NewFriend

brb wrapping up some bombs and mailing them straight from toxins
Oh yeah, is it actually possible to rig crates to explode upon opening them without traitor items? I know that there was a way to make voice-activated chemical bombs(or at least I think there was) but I've never really seen booby-trapped crates

KonradCruise

Thirst Quencher 2077
okay we need to talk about cargo

While working on the map I've discovered that that's this "mail sorting" shit baked into the disposal loop. Basically, Cargo is actually supposed to wrap shit, tag its destination, and then it shoots up the disposal chute at its destination. The mapping work is very annoying because it necessarily complicates the loop.

I have never seen this used in-game, ever. Not fucking once have I seen the mailroom actually used. I have seen the drop-in sorting chutes on Meta that replace the MULES used.

Basically I want to re-add cargo bounties, but not by directly reverting. I think there's a way to adjust this mailroom delivery system to make cargo fun. I think CentComm should send packages and letters down that can be stamped by heads and sent back up for credits, little packages that may or may not be useful.
After ten something rounds of doing quartermaster and being cargonia I have yet to encourage more than 5 people total to do personal bounties who aren't cargo techs themselves even with offers of giving the player 60% of the profit by using package+barcode+tablet GRANDARK EXPORTER (this means 60% of something grand or so goes right into your pocket, the rest into cargo for more boxes)
I also have only received a singular order, which was the HOP ordering an entire medical crate for himself, which he ordered and retrieved in person.
In general I think people don't realize how much cargo can do for you if you work for it.
Edit: add to the fact that I saw medbay cargo chute used once but nobody realized the crate was there because it was under the flaps and barely visible, it probably needs to be in the main bay itself rather than the backroom.

The rest of you begin reading here.
Insulated gloves? Cheap.
Buy your own laser that gives people horrible wounds compared to the normal one? Do a bounty for me and its probably yours.
Armor? Animals? Toolbelts? MEDICAL KITS? Band instruments for the clown? Ghetto holy water for when the chaplains already been gibbed by the cult?
Cargo has it all people, please browse through the cargo order console. You can also order with private funds to get a box only you can open from the QM/cargo techs and he will probably not tell anyone what you ordered unless you violate his NAP.
Read : The contents of all cargo crates you can order

Eris!

Ewige Schlangenkraft
After ten something rounds of doing quartermaster and being cargonia I have yet to encourage more than 5 people total to do personal bounties who aren't cargo techs themselves even with offers of giving the player 60% of the profit by using package+barcode+tablet GRANDARK EXPORTER (this means 60% of something grand or so goes right into your pocket, the rest into cargo for more boxes)
I also have only received a singular order, which was the HOP ordering an entire medical crate for himself, which he ordered and retrieved in person.
In general I think people don't realize how much cargo can do for you if you work for it.
Edit: add to the fact that I saw medbay cargo chute used once but nobody realized the crate was there because it was under the flaps and barely visible, it probably needs to be in the main bay itself rather than the backroom.

The rest of you begin reading here.
Insulated gloves? Cheap.
Buy your own laser that gives people horrible wounds compared to the normal one? Do a bounty for me and its probably yours.
Armor? Animals? Toolbelts? MEDICAL KITS? Band instruments for the clown? Ghetto holy water for when the chaplains already been gibbed by the cult?
Cargo has it all people, please browse through the cargo order console. You can also order with private funds to get a box only you can open from the QM/cargo techs and he will probably not tell anyone what you ordered unless you violate his NAP.
Read : The contents of all cargo crates you can order
Part of the problem is cargonia itself. It can order stuff, but anything people actually need is in their departments already to avoid 'cant do muh job cause cargo wont do its job' problems. SS13 coders in general seem to hate department interdependance. It's understandable for game flow but I can't say I've ever liked it. I think it would be neat if for example you had to frequently restock chemical dispensers and could only get the restocks from cargo. The bigger "problem" though (or not a problem if you like it) is just kiwistation's culture. You guys would be surprised what you can do in this game when you're not mindlessly robusting everyone every single round and actually pretend you're a man on a spess station doing something important. Try to make your department budget go big. Try to fulfill the round's station goals. Export plasma which is what the station is literally for. Write paperwork reports of your xenobiology experiments and autistically present them to the research director. Hang out in the bar and have a drink.

Null

Ooperator
SS13 coders in general seem to hate department interdependance.
Wrong. They love it, they try to enforce it all the time, they write PRs and MDs with the intention of adding more departmental interaction. Problem is: the more interconnected things are, the harder it is to do anything if one thing fails. They never add two ways to do something.

Eris!

Ewige Schlangenkraft
Wrong. They love it, they try to enforce it all the time, they write PRs and MDs with the intention of adding more departmental interaction. Problem is: the more interconnected things are, the harder it is to do anything if one thing fails. They never add two ways to do something.
I don't really know, I can only comment based on what I see when I play. You're right though that two ways to do something is better. A far better system than "you have to order chems and can only get them from cargo," is "you have to order chems and can get them from x, y, z,." But it's always irked me that for most players the solution to "i need insuls" is generally to steal them and not to go to cargo and say "lemme get insuls, how much?"

Null

Ooperator
not to go to cargo and say "lemme get insuls, how much?"
Probably because it takes so long. I could probably reduce the delivery shuttle's timer from 60 seconds to 10 seconds and not hurt anything. There's only about 60 "60 second" timers in the entire round, so dedicating 1/30th of your entire round to standing and waiting for a fucking box to even get there is bullshit.

NewFriend

Part of the problem is cargonia itself. It can order stuff, but anything people actually need is in their departments already to avoid 'cant do muh job cause cargo wont do its job' problems. SS13 coders in general seem to hate department interdependance. It's understandable for game flow but I can't say I've ever liked it. I think it would be neat if for example you had to frequently restock chemical dispensers and could only get the restocks from cargo. The bigger "problem" though (or not a problem if you like it) is just kiwistation's culture. You guys would be surprised what you can do in this game when you're not mindlessly robusting everyone every single round and actually pretend you're a man on a spess station doing something important. Try to make your department budget go big. Try to fulfill the round's station goals. Export plasma which is what the station is literally for. Write paperwork reports of your xenobiology experiments and autistically present them to the research director. Hang out in the bar and have a drink.
A part of the problem is also people not knowing what each crate contains (and being too lazy to open the wiki to check)
There needs to be a way to search for a SPECIFIC ITEM that is contained within crates and then having the system return all the crates that contain that item. I get a feeling that such a thing is impossible to do without adding an entirely new database, though.

Do they really? I haven't played THAT much ss13 but to me it seems like the departments all exist within several "factions" that are pretty much self-containing like Medical, Command+Sec, Cargo+Mining+Science, the kitchen, the bar and Botany etc.
Sure, there is some limited interaction between those blocks but they're mostly separate

Last edited:
Yeah man, I play cargo a lot and will pretty much order you anything for some junk to put on the shuttle out.

Insulated gloves cost a pack of space cigs for me and the boys.

Cutting the timer would be great, everyone always wants shit right now.

Null have you thought about hosting a wiki for the kiwi code base?

Null

Ooperator
Null have you thought about hosting a wiki for the kiwi code base?
As it grows it will be needed. Unfortunately, the /tg/ wiki uses mediawiki and not some open source format so I can't really clone that.

Just wanna say Quarxink is a pretty good admin, probably would have been banned on other servers because I'm a literal retard.

Also, how do I get in touch with cargo? I'm usually engi and there's always shit I want

Shaka Brah

Patriotic Ass-Blasting Poster
Just wanna say Quarxink is a pretty good admin, probably would have been banned on other servers because I'm a literal retard.

Also, how do I get in touch with cargo? I'm usually engi and there's always shit I want
Go up to their window if someone is manning it, or use the bounty request console.