Off-Topic Oh, Canada! - A place to post about Timbits, hockey, moose, and maple syrup.

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
kiwifarms.net
So what are our thoughts on evidence that is illegally obtained? For instance if a certain website gets IPs, emails and DMs hacked is that evidence admissible in civil court?
I think in a corrupt legal system the Commissioner Gordon types working inside the system sometimes need a Batman to take down The Joker.

Patricia Highsmith

Getting away with murder.
kiwifarms.net
So what are our thoughts on evidence that is illegally obtained? For instance if a certain website gets IPs, emails and DMs hacked is that evidence admissible in civil court?
Provenance is less critical in internet matters than in Art matters. The thing is that no matter how information is obtained, it can make its way into the evidence chain. If, for instance, I hack your emails, computer, whatever, and discover KiddiPron then if I am a police man, I am a bit fucked. But if a hacker uploaded a shittonne of screen shots to various sites, taking all necessary precautions, then a third party can act. They could argue that they found the information, acted in good faith, and good luck tryna prove otherwise. Those screen shots can provoke a discovery process that will uncover the original evidence. Or signs of it having been removed.

ProtonMailMan

Only Good Gov't Employee is Dead Gov't Employee.
kiwifarms.net
Who is doing the hacking? Here in the states, as long as it is not the government or one of the parties doing the hacking, it's all good....

Reactions: Koby_Fish

Sevenatenine

kiwifarms.net
Who is doing the hacking? Here in the states, as long as it is not the government or one of the parties doing the hacking, it's all good....
My perception of Canadian legal decisions in this area is that it depends ENTIRELY on how little the court understands about technology and how insecure the judge is about it. If a lawyer is particularly well prepped and spins a good narrative about the "wrongness" of a hack, it's WRONG.

• Thunk-Provoking

Sweetpeaa

kiwifarms.net
Even then, big cities aren't nearly as much as a troon free-for-all like the internet or Yaniv might make it seem. At least for Vancouver, most people support LGBT rights but you'd be hardpressed to find people actually defending Yaniv outside of Twitter or a community college. As for SJWs, even the most vocal progressive will make offensive jokes in private, especially about Chinese drivers.

The Tribunal is a whole other monstrosity.
Socially Conservative Chinese and South Asians are becoming the majority Yaniv's hometown. He is still protected by the charter of rights but I'm really not getting the feeling that there is this great ''support'' for Yaniv and his kin. The SJW stuff is mostly an online phenomenon and gives the illusion of a false Canada. In real life trans people are rarely hired and Yaniv types without a Mother to pay their way end up on the street.

• Thunk-Provoking