Culture ‘OK Boomer’ Marks the End of Friendly Generational Relations - "How do you do, fellow kids?"

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
Fixed that for you.

I don't really see the bulk of the Zoomers getting on board with the SJW stuff, at least not to the insane degree that the Millennials did.

Most of the woke Zoomers are the oldest ones in their early 20's, who often have a lot of overlap with the late Millennials, while your "Core" Zoomers are rebellious teenagers who may be liberal, but aren't "woke" and the late Zoomers are just now entering adolescence and are starting to hit the angsty teen rebellion phase right at the peak of SJW Millennial idiocy.

What I'm worried about now are the Alpha Generation kids. If the Millennials don't drop the woke shit and do some sort of generational equivalent of "hippie to yuppie" like the Boomers did in the 80's and early 90's, then I think we might see a reverse echo effect version of the 2010's with the Alpha Generation driving a right-wing backlash against SJW's in the same way that the current SJW zeitgeist was largely driven as a backlash against the Religious Right by my generation.

/pol/ has it all wrong. Gen Z isn't going to be "Generation Zyklon", they're going to be more individualistic like Gen X was before them. The Alpha kids are going to be the ones who will swing hard towards the right.
TBF not all Millennials are SJW exceptional individuals, according to polls 80% of the country hates PCism and younger Gen Yers along with Zoomers are getting increasingly fed up with the LGBTWTFBBQ's antics.

If woketards follow in the footsteps of Hippies won't they be the ones leading the Rightwing movement once that goes mainstream though?

teriyakiburns

Your world frightens and confuses me.
kiwifarms.net
When you think about it, Late Gen Z and the Proto-Millennials are the awkward middle sibling that everyone hates due to having the misfortune of straddling decades.
Not boomers so their lives are too easy+ their concerns trivial, but they're also apparently old enough to be part of the problem according to the following generations.
Yup.

However, the solution is simple: Become all things to all people, and disappear into oblivion. At least I think that's what the 90s tried to teach me...

(not) y2k compliant

kiwifarms.net
The bourgeoisoomers was all that popped into my head.

I gotta say, as someone born in 97 I don't feel like a Zoomer, or identify with any of the cues I see associated with them.
The problem with media trying to place generational gaps every 20-25 or so is increasingly harder to do anymore since what defines a generation is it's culture and the events that happen in that time. With the advent of mass media and even more so, the Internet, the evolution of culture trends and the reporting of events is in hyper drive now. I'm in my 30s, but I barely relate to the culture that those in their 20s were adolescent in due to how rapidly things change now even though they might only be 5-10 years younger then me.
Trying to encapsule a time by naming "generations" is getting more and more silly to attempt to do year after year as things ramp up more and more.

Orkeosaurus

kiwifarms.net
I don't think it can be stressed enough that these kids literally don't know what a boomer is. The only legit boomers they'd be dealing with is their grandparents, unless their parents were in their 40's-50's when they had them. It is kind of hard to believe how old gen X is getting though.

Trying to encapsule a time by naming "generations" is getting more and more silly to attempt to do year after year as things ramp up more and more.
I guess boomers think they're the last generation important enough to be given a name, but there's legitimate differences between kids who've always been on the internet vs gen x/millenials who actually had a childhood off the internet.

Last edited:

software

ok zoomer.
kiwifarms.net
Since "boomers" are the only ones paying taxes where are all the freebies these spoiled, entitled toddlers want going to come from if they continue to piss them off?
The average boomer is now of retirement age, which means the majority of them are welfare leeches. Social security and medicare account for 61% of all federal spending, so really gassing the boomers is a net gain for the productive parts of society.

kcbbq

No controlling legal authority
kiwifarms.net
The average boomer is now of retirement age, which means the majority of them are welfare leeches. Social security and medicare account for 61% of all federal spending, so really gassing the boomers is a net gain for the productive parts of society.
Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that the gender studies generations will never earn enough to pay any meaningful amount in tax.

A Humble Ewok

I'm much more humble than you would understand.
kiwifarms.net
They're probably thinking about the 30-year-old Boomer meme.

Even then, if you're 30, you're an early Millennial.
EDIT: broke up the post into bits for tl;dr

What Constitutes What Generation.

I've done some research on generations and what constitutes what generation. It's important to remember when talking about generations is that a lot of it is driven by marketing, since marketers need a rough rubric when trying to sell products to current age groups. Some things about old people are eternal, some are unique to the current crop of social security collectors. Same applies to young and middle aged people. Its always going to be an imperfect representation because you can't have a perfect encapsulation of something like a whole age bracket.

There is just a continuous coming-and-going of people on this Earth. We don't just shit out generations in chunks at discrete yearly timings like insects. The perception of when certain generation begin and end is always going to be fuzzy because its not definite when one generations ends and another beings. Its better to think in terms of "Peak Boomer" or "Peak Gen-X." I put "Peak Millenial" at 28-31 (haven't bothered to to the analysis for the other generations since that is the one that concerns me the most).

Fucking Boomers
The thing that really infuriates me with boomers is how unhelpful they are. To reveal some power levels, when I was in my early 20's I wanted to be a sailor. I went to the local union and the guy behind working there said to me "Kid, do I look like a fucking guidance counselour?" He did give me some brochures, but the general "fuck you and fuck off" attitude remained, and I just got a job in the tech industry, like so many damn dirty millenials who want a soft office job.

How Boomers Fail Young People
When they do give some advice it's so out of touch that its useless "just go in and give the manager a firm handshake" when most hiring is sorted by algorithmic HR systems. "Oh I see they are hiring at McDonalds, why don't you just apply there?" Not aware that they always have that same corporate sign up, so they can constantly feed their hiring and customer algorithm information. You want to apply only when you see the manger putting up signs in comic-sans font on the front door, because you are certain they absolutely do need people there. Hell the "shake the manager's hand" trick can work, I know some people that did get hired that way but only when the people applying knew the company was desperate for bodies to fill a new contract.

You would think they would be old enough to realize certain eternal principles that are as true when we were spear chuckers, and will be just as true when we are on Martian colonies. I'm in that peak millennial range, and I'm only just starting to realize them. I cannot tell you how much it infuriates me to see hawk and hem about something as meaningless as "Avacado Toast" as they sit smug on a social security and retirement funds.

I agree that the younger generations are Peter Panning, but they never ask why or seem to care, and would rather smuggly tell them off on their new fancy widget apps. I think people do give the boomers too hard of a time when it come to their past and present economic situation. Most of them came into their early adulthood during the stagflation of the 70s, the oil embargo crisis, and high interest rates which favored the old people of the time over the young (most elderly still had war bonds from WW2 and bonds from New Deal policies). A lot of boomer's retirement accounts were shredded by the '08 crash.

Okay Boomer
Wealth can be destroyed, but can be rebuilt better with the right mindset and knowledge. Its that wisdom and guidance they hoard. The epidemic of surrogate para-social father figures like Jordan Peterson is a symtome of this lack of guidance. "Ok boomer" is a great retort when all they have is a smug "haha sure told you stupid kids off" meme they probably heard on sports talk radio.

Last edited:

software

ok zoomer.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that the gender studies generations will never earn enough to pay any meaningful amount in tax.
So in your mind the U.S. GDP drops to third world levels in 10 years, and social security goes bankrupt? That's some true clown world thinking there, friendo, but it's not very realistic. America is producing more petroleum engineers and anesthesiologists than ever, and unlike in the universities in the 70's, most colleges now try fairly hard to push their student body (and thus future alumnus base) into more productive careers. Besides, even gender studies majors have decent career prospects. Boomer run companies have somehow decided that they are perfect for HR, and so they can be found infesting almost any major corporation.

Traummaschine

kiwifarms.net
The article reads as a bit of a parody on the internet generation, where pseudo-ironic meme protests on social media rules the day. The more low effort per virtual high fives you can get the better.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Many get their generations wrong, older Millenials are actually approaching their 40s while young Millenials are still in their mid-20s, so e.g. a person being 25 this year and a person being 36 are actually both Millenials. The oldest Gen Xers are in their mid 50s. The oldest boomers are in their early 70s and boomers will still be around for quite a few decades and will also still be in the workforce for quite a while. Time flies. Also no, you can't really interpret it "another" way, so no, a e.g. 31 year old guy isn't a boomer nor will he ever be, as much as you would want him to. Just because people don't really understand how generations work it doesn't really change the flow of time. I think the word "boomer" just got it's own meaning wich has trancended the understanding of generations.

Regarding the article: Younger generation thinks older generation screwed everything up and are insufferable squares. Older generation thinks younger generations are good-for-nothings. Wow. It certainly has never been that way, ever. This is a new and shocking trend.

Last edited:

Scandinadian Bacon

Jim Webb 2020
kiwifarms.net
Quoting this same story from another topic into this topic so that I can stay on topic. Now "topic" sounds funny. I hate you Memeanon.

There was another related article which already had a thread but this has been sitting on my newsfeed recently. Everything about this article is just wrong.
I'll say the same thing that came to mind when I saw that other thread: Aren't these the same people that would crucify someone for being ageist or really any kind of -ist?

Yes. Yes they are. They're exactly the same people.

Memeanon

a motherfuckin monster
kiwifarms.net
Quoting this same story from another topic into this topic so that I can stay on topic. Now "topic" sounds funny. I hate you Memeanon.
I'll say the same thing that came to mind when I saw that other thread: Aren't these the same people that would crucify someone for being ageist or really any kind of -ist?

Yes. Yes they are. They're exactly the same people.
inb4 news about ok boomer becomes more widespread

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Age-ist is totally okay. Only being white or male is really a problem and if you're both you just troon out and claim to be a woman and are instantly okay again.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino