Old and obsolete tech you know how to use - (and that for some reason insist on using)

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
Oil lamps, flintlocks, and rock knapping.

Oil lamps, because I can't tolerate electric lights anymore, plus the wicks & fuel have other sources & uses.

Flintlocks, because percussion caps are a manufactured thing and I don't buy my own flints, along with how to make a reasonable black powder from various natural sources.

Rock knapping came from making my own flints; so far that's progressed into spear & axe heads. I'm not quite good enough to make consistent arrowheads yet though.

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
I can write in cursive, and still maintain beautiful penmanship if that counts. It astounds me how many people I run across who can't write or even read script.

As for actual tech, I grew up with DOS and the Commodore 64, and operating them is still second nature to me.
I write in cursive, but I wouldn't call my penmanship "beautiful".

Would you count Unix(-like) shell? It's old, but it's not exactly obsolete for servers, IIRC.

Kiislova

Mostly non degenerate furfag
kiwifarms.net
I write in cursive, but I wouldn't call my penmanship "beautiful".

Would you count Unix(-like) shell? It's old, but it's not exactly obsolete for servers, IIRC.
Not obsolete at all. Ugly, old, but not obsolete by any means.

Do you work for the government? Because that's the only place I still see those machines at use.
My bet is doctor's office
Let me put my bet on "mortgage broker".
Also, @DarkWeenix
We are waiting xD

DarkWeenix

Mux demux, Can't you understand me?
kiwifarms.net

Dysnomia

Party like it's COVID-1999
kiwifarms.net
I know how to program and record on a VCR.
I remember trying to show my mom how easy it was back when she wanted General Hospital and The Sopranos taped. All my life I had heard it was impossible to program a VCR. I did it in a few minutes just by doing logical button presses after popping a tape in.

I still use a flip phone. Because I want real buttons. I have an LGB470. It makes phone calls and I can still access google to check local weather. But the internet functions are becoming more and more non-functional. You have to go into options after accessing the browser to manually bring up google via URL or bookmark. You can use a hotkey for that though. And Youtube stopped working last summer on it so I can't watch fuzzy videos with poor sound that drain my battery in half an hour. Woe is me.

I know I should upgrade. But with a tablet I don't see why I need a smartphone at all. I have no use for internet while I am out and about other than checking weather. To me internet has always been a home activity. I don't like being distracted when I am out.

I can write in cursive, and still maintain beautiful penmanship if that counts. It astounds me how many people I run across who can't write or even read script.

As for actual tech, I grew up with DOS and the Commodore 64, and operating them is still second nature to me.
My penmanship used to be nice. But since I almost never write in cursive other than to sign my name now it has become really bad. Even my printing looks weird now. I used to take my time to write a nice, clearly legible signature. But when there are ten people behind me at the pharmacy and the pin pad is half broken that ain't happening.

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
Tallying up more obsolete tech that I still use; an old Remington typewriter, circa 1960s. Ribbons are still obtainable, but I found a fresh crate of them in an old abandoned school so I've got a lifetime supply.

All pilots are still trained on the flight computer which just a specialized slide-rule. It's pretty nifty.
Have you ever seen someone really proficient in a slide-rule work one?

Back when I first started accumulating flight hours in experimental, I had an instructor who was a wizard on the slide-rule. And my grandpa, along with several uncles, are/were precisiom machinists way before CNC, and the speed at which they used those rulers to crank out calculations on the fly was breathtaking.

Redeemer and Destroyer

Vampiric Cishet Oppressor of Mankind
kiwifarms.net
They are really quite easy to use though, to be honest. Modern cell phones are much, much harder to use, on an objective level, even just remembering to change the battery, for instance.
Yeah, it was just the first thought that came to mind when I saw "old and obsolete." Bad example, but nowadays people would be too impatient to use a rotary phone compared to a lightning fast modern landline and/or cell phone.

Kiislova

Mostly non degenerate furfag
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it was just the first thought that came to mind when I saw "old and obsolete." Bad example, but nowadays people would be too impatient to use a rotary phone compared to a lightning fast modern landline and/or cell phone.
I bet I can dial faster on a rotary than on the average overbloated smartphone that takes 30s to pop up the dialer keyboard.

Tags
None