Old tech you'd love to get a hold of -

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A Gizmondo would have been neat to have a decade ago with the GPS features and being able to run Homebrew.
A Gizmondo today would still be fun to play around with, youd just need to scrape off the rubberized coating that's peeling away.

Hell, any old portable game system are neat. I'd like a Tapwave Zodiac, it's a game system that ran PalmOS and could run games made for it as well as Palm, and Palm had a great emulator suite back in the day by the name of LittleJohnPortable.

PalmOS itself has an untapped treasure trove of random games nobody remembers, and they're sort of hard to come by. There's straight up a really good RPG maker clone for it.

Hell, more Palm devices would be welcome, they were pretty sturdy and the OS was actually pretty nice, very snappy and felt like old Windows. All I have is a Palm Centro, but man, that phone was ahead of it's time back in '07. Very high res screen and nice buttons, even if they were comically tiny. Only issues with it were some dumb omissions, there's no wifi at all despite having internet access, but only over 2G, but real 2G doesnt really exist anymore AFAIK, so it's permanently offline now. Also the headphone jack is 2.5" because phone manufacturers back then were retarded and didnt think that maybe proper headphones would be more popular than awkward wired earpieces

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I really want a mid 90s gaming PC. Ever since I built my own last year, I've been really curious as to how they worked back in the 90s. I think it'd be cool to see those older games running on hardware they were meant for. Of course, there's no practical reason for this since most games can run on modern hardware (usually), so it's mostly just for the experience of playing, say, Quake on a Pentium or whatever the hell people played it on.

I almost want a mid 80s one because I still can't wrap my head around how people played on them in the late 70s and early 80s, but there's even less practical reason for that since those games can run on damn near anything nowadays.

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
I really want a mid 90s gaming PC. Ever since I built my own last year, I've been really curious as to how they worked back in the 90s. I think it'd be cool to see those older games running on hardware they were meant for. Of course, there's no practical reason for this since most games can run on modern hardware (usually), so it's mostly just for the experience of playing, say, Quake on a Pentium or whatever the hell people played it on.

I almost want a mid 80s one because I still can't wrap my head around how people played on them in the late 70s and early 80s, but there's even less practical reason for that since those games can run on damn near anything nowadays.
Thanks for bringing up PTSD of mine from a decade or more ago, and why I don't game on PC anymore.

It's not fun. Believe me. You just feel like it's going to explode at any moment or shortout; at least I did. We have it too good now to ever go back.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
If you're not too picky about brands, you may be able to find a decent SLR film camera that costs next to nothing at a thrift store. I see a couple a month at Value Village (a.k.a. Savers in some American states). I only don't buy them because I already have both a Nikon and a Canon.

That dual disc laserdisc player. I already have too many players and the reasonable side of me tells me no. But maybe one day.
Do you have enough Laserdiscs that haven't succumbed to glue rot to be worth it?

tehpope

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do you have enough Laserdiscs that haven't succumbed to glue rot to be worth it?
Definitely. Most of mine aren't rotted. very few are. Hell, I have Discovision releases that are fine. Kind of suck my first run copy of Jaws laserlocks at the end but c'est la vie. As long as you don't have discs made by PDO UK (bronzing) or DADC USA, it should be fine.

Discovision is the first run of discs on the format. Those discs are notorious for quality control since they're wasn't any.

An Ghost

Of foreskins past
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you're not too picky about brands, you may be able to find a decent SLR film camera that costs next to nothing at a thrift store. I see a couple a month at Value Village (a.k.a. Savers in some American states). I only don't buy them because I already have both a Nikon and a Canon.
Ive got analog pieces already but a leica is special #filmforever

Reactions: 3119967d0c

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Ive got analog pieces already but a leica is special #filmforever
Fair enough, I wasn't sure if you wanted that specific brand/model of camera or just an analogue SLR in general.

Most of the SLR cameras I see at Value Village are cameras that seem like they're from the 1980s or maybe early 1990s from brands like Minolta and Vivitar. The only time I'm ever that all tempted to buy one is when it's another Nikon or Canon, as much for the lens as the camera itself.

Tags
None