Old tech you'd love to get a hold of -

betterbullocks

deep anal and cool ranch doritos, shes got it all
kiwifarms.net
Years ago I almost got my hands on some very rare and highly sought after old tech. Had a seller who confirmed it was in working order, saw for myself. Would've bought it had it not been for the price tag. Cheap is cheap, I suppose.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A PDA. I'd love to see how people used a separate device to keep track of appointments.
PalmOS actually has a lot of little obscure games, if ever you get ahold of an old Palm device. Like I remember there's a version of Serious Sam for it, somehow.

Robert Sanvagene

Autistic Lives Matter™
kiwifarms.net
A pager. Apparently, you can't text back with a pager. Only receive a message and respond by calling somebody. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Nope, that's correct. Pagers are still a thing in many parts of the world, as there are a few usage cases where they're the right tool for the job. Think along the lines of emergency fire/rescue departments where volunteers need to be called up to attend an incident, stuff like that.

Atari Falcon 030, almost definitely.

edit: looked on ebay, it's a bit pricey.
True ... the Falcon is a beast, but they're ridiculously expensive. At least Atari STs are still relatively cheap, especially in Europe.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

tehpope

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That said, any recommendations for other neat vintage computers I could possibly get?
for 8/16 bit pcs, Mister. FPGA based emulation. Jack of all trades. Tons of fucking cores for PCs, 8/16 bit consoles, and 80s arcade games. Some cores even have faster clock speeds (ZX Spectrum come to mind. 56 mhz! the original clock speed was 3mhz btw).

For Win 98 and XP, probably a VM or just get an old PC locally. Something like a Dell Optiplex 7010 MT is pretty overkill for XP, but the cpu in there is the last officially supported one. Throw in something like a GTX 650 and you've got the ultimate XP machine. And if you don't want to use it as an XP machine, the 7010 mt makes a damn fine emulation machine. Even does Dolphin at 1080p 60fps.

For DOS, if you don't want to use a Mister, DOSBox is pretty great. DOSbox-X or DOSBox ECE are better than the official release. The mister core for DOS is good, but only at 486 compatibility.

For any other platform, check out the Emulation Wiki.

wokelizard

kiwifarms.net
IBM computers from the 60's with the spinny tape drives and punch card shufflers and panels with blinking lights and chunky switches and line printers that can churn out pages at ludicrous speed. I'd store all my secret files on it because it would be super funny if ever the police showed up with a warrant for my computer equipment. Good luck XD

• Winner
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
That said, any recommendations for other neat vintage computers I could possibly get?
You can get a kit for building your own Altair 8800 clone. Can't get more vintage than an Altair 8800.
IBM computers from the 60's with the spinny tape drives and punch card shufflers and panels with blinking lights and chunky switches and line printers that can churn out pages at ludicrous speed. I'd store all my secret files on it because it would be super funny if ever the police showed up with a warrant for my computer equipment. Good luck XD
Good luck getting most files to fit. Punch cards barely held more than a few kilobytes of data.

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to get my hands on an IBM beamspring keyboard.

I already have two IBM model Ms (one PS/2 one terminal) and an AT)(or was it XT) Model F

I

Coleman Francis

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1593295876851.png

A pager. Apparently, you can't text back with a pager. Only receive a message and respond by calling somebody. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Ah, pagers. Yeah, if you had a pager, you'd have a number for it. Whenever someone dialed your pagers number, they could enter the phone number that they wanted you to call them back on. When someone called your pager's number, it would beep or vibrate and the number they entered would appear on the pager's tiny screen. There was pager etiquette too, for instance, if someone entered (911) that meant to call them back immediately because they had something important to say. As useless as a pager was to a person who wasn't a doctor, businessman, or drug dealer, it was actually considered "cool" for teenagers to wear pagers back then and they were desireable to young people even with their virtual uselessness for anyone who doesn't receive lots of important business calls all day. Who's trying to call a teenager where the call is so important that they need to be made aware no matter what. Back then, you'd just tell your parents where you were going to be and give them a phone number they could reach you on there. Shows you how much things have changed. Oh, and young people used to call them "beepers". I remember my oldest brother had a "beeper" and he and his friends would meet girls at the mall and give them their beeper numbers lolol. I remember as a youth thinking wouldn't it be easier just to give them your home phone number, but maybe they had the right idea. That way, you'd know they were trying to contact you, so you could call back when they paged, that way when they called your mother wouldn't answer the phone, possibly causing unintentional embarrassment or something.

Last edited:

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I had the room I would get some old personal computers that were hard to get a hold of or prohibitively expensive but have some historical value. I've always wanted to play around with a NeXT workstation and some of the later Amigas. An Apple Pippin might be interesting to poke at too.

edit: Also a BeBox.

Last edited:

tehpope

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1411248

PS2 was amazing back in the day.
Fat PS2 are the best. At least the later models (3900X and 5000X). 3900X are the last models to have the i.link port while 5000X remove it in favor of an IR port for DVD remotes. You can run games off the internal HDD if you add one. You'll need the network adapter for that. There are 3rd party adapters that have SATA instead of IDE, but they don'y include the network adapter. Its easy enough to mod the SATA connector into the OEM one. The earlier units have a lot of build quality issues. Stay away from the 3000X series. Disc drive issues.

The slims are good. All units have the network adapter built-in. The first ones (7000X) are apparently just miniture versions of the 5000X series while the later models consolidate most of the major chips into one. That will effect the backwards compatability, but the number of titles effected are very low (like .1%). The 9000X are real nice since they put the PSU inside the ps2 and uses a standard 2 prong connector. Bad news is most of them don't work with FreeMCBoot since Sony got wise to the exploit and patched the firmware. Earlier 9000X units do work with FMB, but are hard to find. There might be another method to boot unsigned code, but I'm not 100% sure. Most of the slims don't work with internal HDDs. The connection still exists on the first units, but its a messy mod.

USB media also works, but some games won't work properly due to the speed of usb 1.1. You can use run games off a network share and that works too. You can also use POPStation to run PS1 games and usb works fine since those games run at 2x speed.

Last edited:
Tags
None